O/T: Yeoh in boring "Sunshine".Loud auditorium too

Guest W Hong

Guest W Hong

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

This is slightly Off Topic. I just saw Michelle Yeoh's latest movie, "Sunshine". The auditorium where "Sunshine" was showing at, which was the Hollywood Arclight, had very loud sound. I couldn't stay for the whole movie because of that and one or two other reasons. I'm glad that I was at least able to get a voucher. The usher who gave me the voucher said that the sound was turned up only for the auditorium for "Sunshine". All the other auditoriums in the Arclight didn't have that loud sound system, he said.

So I ended up only seeing about the first 20 or 30 minutes of it. This movie did seem kind of like just another ripoff of "Alien"/"Aliens". The story was kind of hard to understand, and there was just mostly talk from what I saw. Not from the audience of course, but too many talking scenes. It was kind of hard to understand what actor Henry Sanada was saying just because he spoke English. Michelle seemed to be nothing special, although she finally looked pretty at least later on.

I still might see this whole movie just because Ms. Yeoh is in it, and because it finally got exciting right before I left the theatre. Other than that, you might not want to see "Sunshine" just because it's mostly talk talk and nothing much else going on. Based on what i remember, the director's "Trainspotting" movie was better.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lei Kung

I happened to stumble into this one the other day. I rarely go to theaters anymore, but I was walking along with some friends and it was the only movie playing at this theater. I thought it was pretty lame overall, not a very good movie. It did pick up a little though. It had some very impressive, breathtaking special effects scenes, but not much else. The plot was sort of ever-evolving, not really in a good way though.

I'd recommend saving your money and buying a discount bin Chuck Norris movie.

Guest theportlykicker

Man, I can't believe how much negitivity I've read about this film. I saw it a few months ago and loved it.

I don't understand how people can hate on films for being too 'talky' either, especially when it's not actually that talky, and what talking there is is good. Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Guest kungfusamurai

Possible SPOILERS below:

I started a thread for this in General Interest, but it didn't get too many replies, so I don't think many people have seen this film.

I personally did not like it. I think to call it 'Alien'-like would be an insult. Most of the special effects were good. Too bad the special effects of a particular individual were constantly blurred by annoying camera trickery - perhaps to keep the film from getting an x rating?

In the end, I didn't really care whether they made it or not or the characters lived or died. It was anti-climactic.

KFS

Archived