John Wick Chapter 4 (2023) - Keanu Reeves, Lawrence Fishburne, Donnie Yen, Hiroyuki Sanada, Rina Sawayama

AlbertV

1 hour ago, Karlos said:

I'm wondering if the huge run time is because they're putting stuff in they had in mind for Part 5?

I'm reminded of how season 4 of Banshee was a bit crammed.

• Like 1

I feel as though the world of John Wick can handle a three hour film. I'm all four it. If I can sit through a three hour Avatar 2 (and love it) or a three hour Avengers film than I'm perfectly content sitting through a long ass John Wick film. If anything, I'm glad Stahelski wants to tell more of a story this time around because I believe in his storytelling. He gets credit as a great action director but he's a great director in general.

I do have a feeling that this will be the last in the series. Stahelski has signed on to so many other projects and, if he does another John Wick, that's another two to three years before he gets to make something new. While I don't like the swordfighting I've seen in the trailers for John Wick 4, I do hope he makes the Highlander reboot or Ghosts of Tsushima next.

• Like 4

ShaOW!linDude

Looks like Marko Zaror pops up in the new trailer. I believe that's a quick snip or two of him fighting Reeves in the street.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

A friend said he's afraid three hours could be too long. I said yeah, for a drama maybe.

I'm still trying to explain people around me there's no such thing as too much action, just like no cake can be too sweet. I never once succeeded convincing anyone, but great truths take time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

11 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I feel as though the world of John Wick can handle a three hour film. I'm all four it. If I can sit through a three hour Avatar 2 (and love it) or a three hour Avengers film than I'm perfectly content sitting through a long ass John Wick film. If anything, I'm glad Stahelski wants to tell more of a story this time around because I believe in his storytelling. He gets credit as a great action director but he's a great director in general.

I do have a feeling that this will be the last in the series. Stahelski has signed on to so many other projects and, if he does another John Wick, that's another two to three years before he gets to make something new. While I don't like the swordfighting I've seen in the trailers for John Wick 4, I do hope he makes the Highlander reboot or Ghosts of Tsushima next.

Amen to all of this. Stahelski's direction is great in all aspects, not just the action. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end, and I do hope he gets to make those other 2 projects you mentioned (just like I hope Jordon Vogt-Roberts gets to make Metal Gear Solid with Oscar Isaac!).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheMuffinMan656 said:

Amen to all of this. Stahelski's direction is great in all aspects, not just the action. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end, and I do hope he gets to make those other 2 projects you mentioned (just like I hope Jordon Vogt-Roberts gets to make Metal Gear Solid with Oscar Isaac!).

...The muffin man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the utility muffin research kitchen.
Reaching for an oversized chrome spoon, he gathers an intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants,
And brushing his scapular aside, procceds to dump these inside of his shirt.
He turns to us and speaks:
"Some people like cupcakes better. I, for one, care less for them."

Good to see another Zappa fan in the room. :wink2:
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

A friend said he's afraid three hours could be too long. I said yeah, for a drama maybe.

I'm still trying to explain people around me there's no such thing as too much action, just like no cake can be too sweet. I never once succeeded convincing anyone, but great truths take time. 

Agree to disagree :yociexp73:

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Looks like Marko Zaror pops up in the new trailer. I believe that's a quick snip or two of him fighting Reeves in the street.

That was already in the US TV spot. This new trailer just shows it a bit more.

Unlike Scott Adkins, Marko Zaror has been featured since the very first teaser. But it's always been very apparent that he's a henchman, likely the lead henchman, but a henchman still.

Adkins clearly has a better character but will probably end up having less screen time than Zaror. The first trailer showed Killa laying Wick down but

Spoiler

also apparently dead towards the end.

And the recent BTS points in the same direction.

I guess I'll have to watch the last two Wick films soon and then decide whether this is something I'll care enough to go watch in theatres.

I remember watching the first one and enjoying it, but never actually got around to see the sequels, which I hear got increasingly over the top (the trailers for JW4 certainly confirm this).

What sparked my interest in JW4 is that I really like Scott Adkins and Marko Zaror. But at the same time I do not like Donnie Yen.

So as you can imagine the prospect of sitting through almost 3h of Yen for 10 minutes of Scott in a fat suit and 10 minutes of Marko mostly in the background isn't exactly enticing.

• Like 1

Well, just finished rewatching Chapter 3, and I am more than excited for number 4. I love how big and open the world feels with each entry, despite it being so focused on John kicking ass. The worldbuilding throughout all 3 is subtle and mostly in the background. The rules of the Continental, the currency of the underground, rules of the marker, the High Table, etc. They are all background elements in the main story, which admittedly is mostly just John killing people. It's not like it's loaded with deep thematic elements, but there are a few lines throughout which allude to some deeper question that perhaps the audience should ponder. Anyway, with how stacked the cast us for number 4, as well as the incredibly visuals in the trailers, I can't wait for March 24th!

On 2/20/2023 at 8:06 AM, Agent U said:

That was already in the US TV spot. This new trailer just shows it a bit more.

Unlike Scott Adkins, Marko Zaror has been featured since the very first teaser. But it's always been very apparent that he's a henchman, likely the lead henchman, but a henchman still.

Adkins clearly has a better character but will probably end up having less screen time than Zaror. The first trailer showed Killa laying Wick down but

Reveal hidden contents

also apparently dead towards the end.

And the recent BTS points in the same direction.

I just watched this, and wow, incredible! I was smiling ear to ear the whole time. I love the passion, creativity, and love the whole team puts into these films. I really can't wait now!

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm getting huge S.P.L vibes from the latest trailer.  From how it looks to Scott Adkins fat suit 😂🤣 or the latest batman movie with Collin whatever his name in a fat penguin suit.  This will be the first theater experience for me since 2019.

• Like 2

Good action makes me cry. Unfortunately it is all older hands at it seems, so i wonder if eventually we wont see it anymore. Who is going to do it, hopefully i am wrong. Scott always seems to be good when he plays a non typical character. It's looking good so far i'm psyched.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, laagi said:

Well call me lucky, I just got an invitation for an early screening on March 1st :yociexp108:

[Lucky] Fool! It should have been mine! Give it to me!

• Haha 3

On 2/22/2023 at 12:41 PM, laagi said:

Well call me lucky, I just got an invitation for an early screening on March 1st :yociexp108:

That's soon.

Where is this though? I thought the first advance screening would be 6 March in London.

• Sad 1

On 2/23/2023 at 4:39 PM, Agent U said:

That's soon.

Where is this though? I thought the first advance screening would be 6 March in London.

Yeah I can't really say. The distributor is being super strict at least for now. I'll have LOTS to talk about after I've watched it :yociexp100:

• Like 1

For what it's worth I've really enjoyed it! I would personally rate this higher than the previous one. Simply because it found a better balance between story and action. Let's just leave it at this for the moment. Embargo lifts on March 6th so I might do a more in depth review by that time.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

4 hours ago, laagi said:

For what it's worth I've really enjoyed it! I would personally rate this higher than the previous one. Simply because it found a better balance between story and action. Let's just leave it at this for the moment. Embargo lifts on March 6th so I might do a more in depth review by that time.

How the hell did you watch it this EARLY? Have I missed something?

• Haha 1

One Armed Boxer
21 minutes ago, DiP said:

How the hell did you watch it this EARLY? Have I missed something?

Yes (just a few posts up) :tongueout -

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 3:34 PM, Karlos said:

Good for him. It's sad that progress for Asian actors in Hollywood has occurred at a glacial pace (just listen to James Hong's SAG awards speech). Hell, Bruce Lee was going through the same shit half a century earlier.I'm glad Donnie decided not to go for that Yin Yang role in The Expendables. I think Donnie growing up in Boston has more of a sense of the long history of Hollywood's racist and emasculating portrayals of Asian men than a Mainlander like Jet Li, so i don't hold it against Jet.

• Like 3

Thank God Donnie Yen is here ensuring no Asian character shall be named 'Shang' or 'Chang' ever again.

I'll agree the change in look may have been for the better (even though I fail to see Bruce Lee in the redesigned look, and I'd argue mandarin collars can also look cool and fashionable in their own right), but I don't see any real issue here, and certainly not with the name, especially in a series where the main character is named... John. If anything, naming a cane-wearing character 'Caine' sounds worse.

Once again what primarily comes across is that Donnie Yen just can't waste an opportunity to be annoying.

How are Westerners portrayed in Asian movies exactly? Notably in films starring, and/or directed by, Donnie Yen?

The bigger roles in JW4 clearly went to Asian characters and an actor of African descent. The bigger Caucasian part doesn't even seem to feature any action.

Any new material that comes out for JW4 features new footage of Yen to the point it's looking like he'll be in almost as much as Keanu Reeves and not even 10 minutes will go by without him taking on 20-30 guys so everyone can see how cool he is.

Which Asian blockbuster ever did the same for an actor from the West?

12 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Yes (just a few posts up) :tongueout -

Alright, I'm good here. Laagi, you lucky bastard you! :cool

• Like 2
  • Haha 1