Spiral: From the Book of Saw (2020) - Chris Rock, Samuel L. Jackson, Max Minghella, Marisol Nichols

AlbertV

First, Jordan Peele told us to Get Out. Then Danny McBride co-wrote the successful Halloween "re-quel", now Chris Rock is giving horror a shot as he is set to produce a spin-off of the Saw franchise with franchise helmer Darren Lynn Bousman directing.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/chris-rock-to-reboot-saw-franchise-with-lionsgate-twisted-pictures-1202616185/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Production has begun on the new Saw film, which is described as a minor reboot. Chris Rock is playing a detective investigating a series of grisly murders. Samuel L. Jackson is playing Rock's father in the film (no joke!). Max Minghella is playing Rock's partner while Marisol Nichols plays Rock's supervisor. Rock is serving not just the star, but as executive producer alongside franchise creators James Wan and Leigh Whannell, and is given the story credit for the film while the writers of the last installment, Jigsaw, wrote the script. The film is coming out on October 23, 2020.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/08/no-joke-samuel-l-jackson-to-play-chris-rocks-dad-in-saw-reboot/

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

I feel like this series needs a prequel as much as Texas Chainsaw Massacre did... People watch this stuff for the gruesome deaths and gore, not for character depth. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I have an unwarranted faith in Chris Rock. I don't know why but I kind of respect his intelligence and hope he can bring something new to the table. With that said, this is Saw. It's not exactly a franchise known for its intricate plot details and smart character development.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I have an unwarranted faith in Chris Rock. I don't know why but I kind of respect his intelligence and hope he can bring something new to the table. With that said, this is Saw. It's not exactly a franchise known for its intricate plot details and smart character development.

Maybe he'll be subjected to punishment like Cary Elwes' character in the original. That would make a hell of a change in Rock's forte.

• Like 3

Well, I do like Chris Rock and Samuel L. Jackson in some of the things they do. So yeah, this might be alright.

• Like 3

I wish Tobin Bell does not join the cast. He was important character in Saws and would like to see him in future again at Saw but too many flashbacks/tapes with him really after he kicked the bucket. Time to give him at least a break from concept.

Too bad Saw-final chapter had quite unfinished ending and jigsaw could too benefit from direct sequel, skeptical  if "new" storyline is again introduced. If yes hopefully they put all junk into box then and no unfinished things  when end credits start to roll.

• Like 3

The new Saw film now has an official title: The Organ Donor and it is no longer a reboot, but it is a continuation of the franchise according to star Chris Rock, who also came up with the story for the film with Jigsaw scripters Josh Stolberg and Pete Goldfinger writing it and Darren Lynn Bousman, who directed Saw II to Saw IV, directing this new installment.

The film is coming out on May 15.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Secret Executioner

So pretty much Saw IX: Jigsaw II ? Next up should be Saw X, which is the title they should go with IMO - could be a neat throwback to Jason X. :bs_coveredlaugh:

• Like 2

Pretty standard run of the mill horror movie. Few interesting bloody and gory traps. Chris Rock is okay. Not too bad. The ending or conclusion is pretty lame so is the "new" jigsaw. One thing that I'm starting to notice in new productions is the sound level! It's getting obnoxious. I mean like what the hell! Everybody is screaming constantly in this movie and the sound effects are ear shredding. Really big minus for me here as far as the entire sound desing goes. Everything else as mentioned standard fare. One watch for a decent night. Ultimately will be forgotten right after.

• Like 2