Kung Fu Movies on Youtube

saltysam

What are people's thoughts on the tons of kung fu movies freely available on youtube? On one hand it means it makes official releases less likely but on the other hand with physical media going out of fashion it could be the only way to access these flicks in the future. Personally i will buy physical if it's available (just ordered the german DVD of Kung Fu Executioner,i have no doubt it'll be the same youtube print) however i have downloaded a few of the widescreen films available and converted them to DVD and despite their extremely low file sizes they come out pretty well watching on my 55" screen.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like i said, i've converted some of these to DVD and watched on my 55" and they look fine....far better than most Vengeance DVDs i have. i've only done ones that look of ok quality to start with though.

De Ming Li

It may be the only way to watch some obscure Mainland Chinese films from the late Republican and post 1949 till early 90's period

I occasionally check out classics like Shaolin vs Lama, Mystery of Chess Boxing, Wutang vs Ninja on youtube as I no longer have the dvds and I think they look as good as the (dvd) releases. I buy discs too & if these were remastered i'd get them straight away but until then youtube is better than nothing.

Yes it's pretty cool that you can watch these films for free anytime anywhere…. on the bus, on train… in the middle of the woods… :)

Most of them must be public domain since nothing gets removed from youtube for copyright infringement.

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

It may be the only way to watch some obscure Mainland Chinese films from the late Republican and post 1949 till early 90's period

18 hours ago, saltysam said:

What are people's thoughts on the tons of kung fu movies freely available on youtube?

I have mixed feelings, so many movies I purchased have ended up on their for free. When you've spent years on purchasing these films, ony to see them given away. I think if anything is for free, it devalues it to an extent. Any new fans getting into the genre, who come via Torrent sites and YouTube etc. Are not going to be keen on suddenly paying for these films. That said, I would be a big hypocrite if I said I never viewed some Martial Arts cinema on YouTube. I recently watched a very low quality print, so poor, it should have only been made availblae for free really. There was no way I was going to find a restored or Widescreen edtion of Mortal Battle, starring Bobby Kim, Hwang Janng Lee, and Kwan Yung-Moon in stores or official online stores. If said film was availble in to buy, I'd never have bothered with the YT version. Which I think only had about 19 views if that.

1 hour ago, kevenzz said:

Most of them must be public domain since nothing gets removed from youtube for copyright infringement.

I think many of the films are public domian, but there have been customs people have spent hours on. That suddenly appear on YouTube without the consent of the author's work. Not even an acknowledgement or credit on the video itself. A fellow forum member sent me a great fan custom of Bruce & Shaolin Kung Fu Part 1, which had all the cuts scenes restored. This now appears to be on Amazon Prime, now did that site pick up the title from the people who created it?. Or have they simply gone onto YouTube and copied the print from their?. Now the only reason I know this, is becuase it was mentioned in a recent edition of the Clones Cast. I currently don't have any subscriptions to digital sites.

Looking on there now, Born Invincible looks pretty decent, wide as does Invincible Super Chan. Only nutters like me appreciate it but the version of True Game Of Death on there is the best i've seen.

yeah from which dvd this version of True Game of Death is from ? must be some german dvd…. I need to get it.

Secret Executioner

I'm mixed on the issue because while I enjoy the chance it gives people to discover new films, I'm more of a physical format kind of guy so I'll rather go for a DVD release than for an Internet rip, and I feel like if someone owns the rights or if the movies are made available on DVD by some company, these people should get money for the stuff. It's both a blessing and a curse really.

I will always buy physical if it's available and the best version. I've even bought crappy full screen versions of some Bruce Li flicks and put kuenfists widescreen customs in a double case with the crappy version.

NoKUNGFUforYU

The reason I have done a lot of customs is that these minor films are being remastered, and I just found some of them unwatchable on youtube- Knife's Roaring Devil Soul Empty, and many of the Girls with Guns movies look awful. That being said, no one seems to be real interested in getting them lately, kind of stunned about Princess Madam, for example. It's from a Blu Ray with good subs, but only a few people want it.

I guess there are 3 camps- 1. Don't pay for anything, not worried about quality 2. Collectors that hate people that make customs because it lowers the value of what they have sometimes 3. People that want to make sure we preserve these, one way or another. The last camp is a gamble. Some companies will pop out a blu ray of some obscurity 3 months after I have subbed it, but other films like Knife's Roaring, are still only customs. We all want someone to just restore all of these so we can see them on "legit" sources, but how and when if ever? Things like the Cathay films, or Sacred Knives of Vengeance has still not come out with an HD release with English subs. And from what I can tell, there are zero plans for it. Anyway, back to work. Subbing Satin Steel tonight.

A lot of the films on YouTube look like they have been uploaded with a potato, but every once in a while you can one that's okay looking. 

saltysam mentionned Born Invincible widescreen.

Here's a custom 35mm version which was never finished...

Archived