Crystal Hunt (Hong Kong, 1991)

chazgower01

chazgower01

Crystal Hunt (Hong Kong, 1991) fansub 3/5

This movie is a hoot. Its plot is silly and all over the place, its got tons of over acting in it, BUT its got some great fights and is a LOT of fun!

Carrie Ng is a rich lady (even though she has plastic patio furniture). Her dad is sick and only ‘Crystal Gold God’ can save him. He doesn’t want his daughter searching for it though, but of course she does. Ken Lo is her bodyguard or something and... normally his ‘look’, which changes from film to film doesn’t distract me, but this flat top variation just looks ridiculous. The bad guys want Crystal Gold God too, led by a white dude (MMA fighter John Salvitti) and a black dude, both who prove that the Chinese aren’t the only ones able to overact in this. There’s another big muscles black guy (Donnie Yen regular Michael Woods) who’s a part of the gang, who’s even more entertaining to watch. 

Donnie Yen and Sibelle Hu are cops who have a platonic relationship, and go to bars and get in fights and somehow they get wind of the bad guys wanting Crystal Gold God, and then the archeologist who knows about it disappears (the bad guys take him) and his daughter is in danger (Takajo Fujimi), and everything follows a course of overact, then fight, overact, then fight, etc. 

But it’s not acting we watch this for, it IS the fighting - and there’s lots of it. In fact, for every 5 minutes we get to see Donnie Yen and Sibelle Hu yapping about inconsequential nonsense, we get an equal 5 minutes of them fighting. Sometimes with people who have no part of the plot. EVERYBODY fights. Constantly. It's pretty awesome in that.

Wait, where was I? Does it matter? No. The plot is a mess, the acting is a mess, but I couldn’t turn this off if I wanted to. The late 80’s/early 90's fashion is a riot with lots of pastel colors and loose fitting suits, and one guy who looks like he just stepped out of a Milli Vanilli video. Takajo Fujimi takes a beating but keeps jumping back into the fight, Sibelle Hu... takes the best shot in the whole movie (see the video below). Fights, shotguns, chases... non-stop action. The fight leading up to the finale is great (I thought it WAS the finale until everyone retreated) and then the finale is even better.

HIGHLY recommended. Special thanks to NoKUNGFUforYu for a great copy of this!

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 7.11.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 7.54.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 7.57.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 7.59.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 7.56.27 AM.png

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the fight where Ken Low goes into the office building, beats up everyone inside, and leaves, leaving you the viewer with no idea what just happened, why it happened, who those people were, or why we needed to see all that (beyond watching Ken in action).

Serviceable plot and acting but great underrated (heavily criticized for its' use of undercranking) action as compensation.

Archived