Old School Beginner's Shelf

Rodolphe Dux

Rodolphe Dux

Here's a post to established a beginner's shelf of old school martial arts movies. If you’re a beginner you can try any of the movie in the list below.

Feel free to add a suggestion, I'll add the titles to the list below. Thanks!.

Level 1, absolute beginner:

- Snake in eagle's shadow (http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5863&display_set=eng), available in DVD and Blu-ray.

- Fist of fury

- Drunken master

- The Odd Couple

- Dance of the drunk mantis

- Master of the flying guillotine

- Warriors Two

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

I have always recommended stuff in increments, slowly ramping up to the deeper and more esoteric stuff.

Like say you have Starter pack: level 1- Fist of Fury. King Boxer. Heroes of the East. Invincible Shaolin. Magnificent Butcher. Drunken Master or Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.... easily palatable stuff like that.

Then after that, level 2 with stuff like Five Venoms. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Legend of a Fighter. Ninja in the Dragon's Den etc. and slowly ease them into different performers, studios, genres and so forth.

I've found that if you start people out with some Chor Yuen wuxia or Spooky Encounters with all its supernatural content, some (not all) are scared off. So go with the basic stuff, and maybe try and remember your own journey and how it worked for you.

Rodolphe Dux
1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I have always recommended stuff in increments, slowly ramping up to the deeper and more esoteric stuff.

Like say you have Starter pack: level 1- Fist of Fury. King Boxer. Heroes of the East. Invincible Shaolin. Magnificent Butcher. Drunken Master or Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.... easily palatable stuff like that.

Then after that, level 2 with stuff like Five Venoms. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Legend of a Fighter. Ninja in the Dragon's Den etc. and slowly ease them into different performers, studios, genres and so forth.

I've found that if you start people out with some Chor Yuen wuxia or Spooky Encounters with all its supernatural content, some (not all) are scared off. So go with the basic stuff, and maybe try and remember your own journey and how it worked for you.

Thanks, the idea of different level is very cool, I’ll build the list in that way. Funny I was about to put Spooky encounter in the level one, but you’re it can be disturbing for a beginner.

ShaOW!linDude

Let's see. I'd probably go with:

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Fists of Fury aka The Chinese Connection

The Martial Club

Shaolin Temple

The Prodigal Son

Drunken Master

Thundering Mantis

5 Element Ninja

Daggers 8

Knockabout

*As much as I love Heroes of the East, that is a fight heavy movie and might overload a newbie to the genre.

Tex Killer
10 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

*As much as I love Heroes of the East, that is a fight heavy movie and might overload a newbie to the genre.

And 5 element ninjas is not:bs_um:....

Heroes of the east is great "level 1" movie, fights are not violent there is not intense atmosphere but movie is quite calm. Nobody kicks the bucket, there are not bad guys in flick and opponents grow to respect each others during contest...

Archived