Hellraiser (2022) Reboot of the Clive Barker Classic

AlbertV

Drunken Monk

I don't love the idea of Goyer directing. I watched Blade: Trinity about two weeks ago and oof! Terrible. Hellraiser requires a very specific cinematic eye. It can't just be generic horror or it'll end up like every other second-rate horror film.
That's why the original is considered a classic. It's unique. One thing can be said of Clive Barker; he truly is a horror visionary.

• Like 2

I have not seen all of the 11 Hellraiser films. I believe I've seen the first six and now this reboot. Personally, I always thought Hellraiser had a tremendous potential that was never really reached with any of the films in the franchise I've seen. Well neither was it with the new Hellraiser (2022).

Something made me wanna watch it and I didn't regret doing it. I wasn't disappointed. I wasn't thrilled about it either. For one, it's not scary at all. The idea of strange, sadistic, mutilated creatures from another dimension, hell or wherever, coming to get you with the sole intention of torturing you and inflict pain that's beyond your imagination definitely is, so shouldn't such a movie be hellishly scary? Hellraiser won't give you nightmares, watch a couple of funny cat compilation videos before going to sleep if you wanna be sure. I admit I did.

There's a violent scene in Across 110th Street (1972) that is more packed with terror than this entire movie. Reason for that is it's unpleasantly realistic. Not saying I could do it better but that's how I'd approach directing a Hellraiser movie. First, thining the boundry between what's happening on screen and the audience, and going for more realistic violence. Psychological mystery that digs deep into the Cenobites lore, accentuates whatever makes them so scary, explores their philosophy of pain and then switches to juicy, realistic bloodfest in the final third. 

Hellraiser may be a Hulu original, but there's nothing really original to be seen. Bruckner and his crew abandoned all desire to create something fresh and instead satisfied with going the well known route. Unlike Day Shift which was pretty cool and felt fresh for the entirety of its first half at least, Hellraiser is OK with becoming just another horror about teenagers/young adults(?) or at least one of them, doing stupid shit and paying for it in all sorts of unpleasant ways pretty much right from the start. Or making everybody else pay.

For me, nostalgia had nothing to do with it. I was just somehow inexplicably attracted to the movie, read a couple of good comments and decided to give it a go. After all, it is October, the horror month and I have a hard time finding a horror I'm really interested in seeing. Perfectly watchable as it is, it's also, more or less, perfectly forgettable.

• Like 2

Hellraiser 2022 is a mediocre affair. They've discarded the blatant sexuality of the original and instead, they've basically made a new wave slasher. It's fine but it's nowhere near the horror goliath it should be. To be honest, it's almost shockingly tame and "tame" is the last word that should be associated with this franchise.

• Like 1

A sequel to Hellraiser which focuses on the heavy metal and BDSM communities would deliver more in both sexuality and sadomasochism.

• Like 1