Masterr Z 2 - Sequel in The Work's

whitesnake

Posted on https://twitter.com/AsianFilmStrike on April 26 - "A sequel to Master Z: Ip Man Legacy is in the works.  Max Zhang will return on a budget slashed in half (around 13M$, down from the first film's 28M$).  No word yet on whether Yuen Woo Ping will return to direct." 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk
36 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

Posted on https://twitter.com/AsianFilmStrike on April 26 - "A sequel to Master Z: Ip Man Legacy is in the works.  Max Zhang will return on a budget slashed in half (around 13M$, down from the first film's 28M$).  No word yet on whether Yuen Woo Ping will return to direct." 

Did it really do that badly that they have to half the budget? That's an interesting choice. But hopefully the budget cuts won't affect the fight scenes. In fact, it might improve them. Less wires and special effects and whatnot. 

3 hours ago, LoBo said:

Maybe he'll use more wing chun in the sequel

Theres going to be a sequel to this?

While I liked the protagonist and Tony Jaa character even, I dont feel like this is really worthy of a sequel. Though I guess I wouldnt mind checking it out if Woo Ping is able to put creativity into the fights again. 

Im all for franchise series, no matter how bad people may begin to think of them. The only reasons I drop watching sequels in franchises is if they become continued in tv format. Though if Woo Pings name isnt attached to the sequel I may have to scratch checking it out altogether.

What do you guys think, are you itching for a sequel?

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, Koravec said:

What do you guys think, are you itching for a sequel?

Yep. Not because the first film is masterful filmmaking or anything. But because, these days, we don’t get many through and through kung fu films. Master Z was just that and i’ll always support those types of films.

Honestly? I’d rather see a Master Z sequel that a fourth SPL film.

DragonClaws

I don't know what the source of this information is?, or who announced the new to the public?.

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, rdenn said:

weird when promoting the 2nd film they would say half the budget is gone , strange

I don't think the statement regarding the budget was a part of its promotion, just an announcement of the sequel with the obligatory budget, casting information so far etc.

Drunken Monk

Here’s a (terrible) teaser image for the proposed sequel to Yuen Woo Ping’s Ip Man offshoot. Right now, only Max Zhang is rumored to return.

C67B4ACF-042F-43A7-A9A9-161B09D37B65.jpeg

I would like for the filmmakers to spin off so much that by 2030, almost every contemporary of Ip Man who mastered a style other than wing chun gets his/her own film.

I was slightly disappointed with Master Z story wise as I thought there was a lot of depth and meaning to his character in Ip Man 3.

Saying that it was a fun movie with some good choreography, Michelle Yeoh ruled.

Drunken Monk

I’m with @Ramji. While the first film doesn’t have a TON of depth, it is a fun kung fu movie with some pretty great fight scenes. I actually really like Zhang vs Bautista.

Fingers crossed, they’ll stay with the Ip Man gimmick of bringing on big names. Let’s get Max Zhang vs Wu Jing again.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:28 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Did it really do that badly that they have to half the budget? That's an interesting choice. But hopefully the budget cuts won't affect the fight scenes. In fact, it might improve them. Less wires and special effects and whatnot. 

I agree. I generally think the best fight scenes in movies are the ones where they had limitations and let the performers carry the sequence.

For the most part of course. Also that generally doesn't apply to Jackie Chan movies.

Zhang I find him a monotonous actor. With that absurd little masculine face and an unconvincing way of fighting, which I don't know if it's his fault or a direction that has never exploited him well. To be honest, he only convinced me in Ipman with Donnie, then in his other things that I saw he made me laugh often (if I think about it, I also liked Spl as a villain, but he only had to fight them and do the usual expressionless face that suits him well). I know this spin off isn't great (I didn't want to see it), I didn't think they wanted to do another one.

Archived