21 Bridges - Patrick Boseman, Sienna Miller (2019)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Follows a disgraced detective in the NYPD who is given a shot at redemption. Thrust into a citywide manhunt for a cop killer, he begins to undercover a massive conspiracy that links his fellow cops to a criminal empire and must decide who he is hunting and who is actually hunting him. During the manhunt, Manhattan is completely locked down for the first time in its history - no exit or entry to the island including all 17 bridges.  - IMDB synopsis

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

This is one of those movies with a simplistic story and twisted conclusions which we have all seen so many times before. However, the tight direction, the engagingly meticulous acting performances, the intense action scenes, and overall productions values make the movie very worthwhile. It's done so well that you can't help but follow progression once things take off up until the ending.

Another thing that stands out here is the casting. Everyone does so well in their parts and you can tell the director (apparently this movie is his debut, he mostly directs TV shows) take out the best out of every actor playing key parts in the movie. I'm honestly not familiar with most of them though, apart from the late actor Chadwick Boseman (RIP) who I first saw in Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods (good movie and good performance by Boseman). These days, he's more known for the titular character of Black Panther (I'm not drawn to the movie but I may see it at some point soon) but this movie is the first time that really drew me to his acting skills and he really shines here as a sharp, fast-thinking, and justified detective on the hunt for a cop killing duo, and for something more sinister behind the whole mishap of events. I can't help it but some of Boseman's lines come off really Denzel-ish, with his own spin to it of course. It's no secret that Boseman was a big fan of Denzel Washington, has made a famous speech to pay tribute to Denzel, and even worked together before Boseman's death. All this makes me wonder whether Boseman would become Denzel's successor later on had he not died so young. His acting performance here is a true testament to that. Honorable mentions also goes to lead actress Sienna Miller, Stephan James (playing a robber who doesn't kill without reasons), Taylor Kitsch (playing a cold-blooded robber killing without hesitation), and J.K. Simmons.

I will watch the movie again because it really impressed me beyond all the conventions. Movies these days have to stand out somehow and if you can't bring something new and original (which is so hard) to the table, you have to use all aspect of film-making in fresh and unique ways to show that familiar territory can still attract and leave huge impact in viewers. The movie is a good example of that.

• Like 1