Call to arms 1971

ShawAngela

I watched this movie yesterday and, looking at the cast for an actor's name on hkmb, I was surprised to discover that Chang Yi was mentioned as playing Zhu Hai's character in the first edition of this movie.

Does anyone have ever watched this first edition ?

Does anyone know if it was usual to shoot several editions of the same movie with different actors at that time ?

Does anyone know if there are any other Shaws' movies in whichi this phenomenom happened ?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chang Yi left for Golden Harvest around this time leaving this film, Finger of Doom and Duel For Gold in the middle of production. His scenes in all of those films had to be re-shot, and Duel For Gold changed from being directed by Lo Wei to Chor Yuen since Lo Wei left for Golden Harvest too!  Mutiny!

If the film had been completed with Chang Yi it would have been released that way. I don't think there was an actual 'fist edition', just the early production footage before Chang Yi left. If the footage still exists in a vault it most likely does not have sound.

There are a few examples at Shaws of early productions that then changed cast members and footage had to be scrapped and re-shot. Looking through copies of Southern Screen is very informative in this regard. HKMDb ocassionally have scans from the magazine with this type of info.

A couple for example - Chang Cheh's 'The Hell'. Started production in 1975 with Shih Szu as Red Dress, but not released until 1980 as Heaven and Hell with Lin Chen Chi. Shih Szu was also in early production of The Devil's Mirror. Cheng Lui was originally in The Blood Brothers, but his footage was cut when he left Shaws in 1973. The early cast of Virgins of the Seven Seas was dropped and replaced including Lo Lieh, Danny Lee and Chen Ping.

Thank you very much for all these informations, it's very interesting, and, as I already said, you are  a Living Bible regarding the Shaws !!

Thanks @ShawAngela. Many thanks should go to fans who have shared scans of their HK cinema magazines and their knowledge here at ShaolinChamber/KungFuCinema/KFF and on sites such as City on Fire, Cool Ass Cinema and HKMDb.

Archived