Kungfu Stuntmen: Never Say No! (2019) Documentary

whitesnake

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere or is in the wrong forum.  Chinese film industry veteran Wei Junzi has directed 'Kungfu Stuntmen: Never Say No!', an upcoming documentary paying tribute to Hong Kong action cinema.  "Wei spent two years interviewing and filming nearly a hundred Hong Kong stunt performers including Yuen Woo-Ping, Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, Ching Siu-Tung and many other veterans as well as a few newcomers.  The film is currently in post-production and scheduled for release" later in 2019.  The article is here - https://www.fareastfilms.com/?news_post_type=new-documentary-kungfu-stuntmen-never-say-no-pays-tribute-to-hong-kong-action-cinema 

é¾èæ­¦å¸( 2019 )

• Like 7

ShaOW!linDude

Finally!!! Some long overdue recognition! 

Been hoping something like this would come out one day.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I hope this isn't limited to China and gets some sort of an international release (or at least a subtitled Chinese Blu Ray). I am obsessed with the stunt world so I'm chomping at the bit to watch this.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Looking forward to seeing the trailer for this one, anyone have any up-dates on the project?.

• Like 2

ShaolinMasterKiller

Really excited for an interview-heavy, Chinese-produced documentary on the golden age of Hong Kong stuntwork. Anyone seen this and/or know  about any US distribution plans?

• Like 4

This is a pretty good documentary. Although it does lack some serious depth over its 90 minutes runtime. Also the last 20 minutes, I could have done without, even though it was interesting (and sad) to see the current state of the Hong Kong stunt industry.

Fans will see plenty of familiar faces. Unfortunately Jackie Chan is prominently absent among others. Which is a real shame!

Plenty of fun little stories and anecdotes from the interviewees. Like how vanity of the different stunt teams kept pushing them to do bat shit crazy stuff. Or how every stuntmen was afraid of Lau Kar Leung because he insisted to use real weapons on set! All these make for a entertaining watch.

Also interesting to see that the industry is shifting towards the mainland. Which has an almost insatiable hunger for new talent. I'm sure that new laws on censorship won't help Hong Kong stuntmen either. It's sad and nostalgic that will probably never see again this level of athleticism and recklessness.

• Like 3

I enjoyed this massively. As @laagi said, there's not a lot of depth here. It feels more like a group of guys reminiscing on yesteryear but I think that makes for a really nice personal touch. Seeing people laugh about how stuntmen would refuse to go to a set if they heard Sammo was directing and hearing how Chin Ka Lok would do pretty much anything brought a smile to my face. Though it is crazy how stuntmen that asked for protective padding, clothing etc. were looked down on and laughed at by other stuntmen.

I know Jackie might consider himself too big for a documentary like this but I was surprised by the lack of Yuen Biao. He's doubled pretty much everyone and done some insane stunts.

All in all, a great watch. Highly recommended to everyone that loves this genre.

• Like 4

I just caught this the other night and I just walked away with even more respect than I already had for these guys. Literally putting their lives and well being on the line for our sheer entertainment. It was cool seeing some of the lesser known "Yuens" and nondescript stuntmen get screen time and recognition. It's definitely a bygone era for kung fu/action stuntmen that will never be reproduced with the use of CGI, new safety laws and the scarcity of the next generation of upcoming stuntmen.

• Like 4

Saw this yesterday, a really interesting watch. I have so much respect for these people and this is why I love HK cinema. The action is so raw. It will never be like this ever again. I am so grateful that probably everything from this era are now getting worthy treatment and releases. A real shame Yuen Biao or JC didnt show up for this..

• Like 1