Wisely (2015)

Guest Beat TG

Guest Beat TG

--Wisely--

"Donnie Yen, who is currently filming Kingdom and Beauty, apparently as a cameo role, and would be doing Painted Skin remake next, is taking a break for martial arts choreography and is conserving his energy and inspirations for a movie adaptation of Wisely, a detective novel series by Ni Kuang, "Wilson Yip is currently working on the script, taking care of all the character designs. I'd be in charge of the action direction, and I'd also be taking on the role of Wisely. Wisely is a more gentle person compared to Ma Jun of Flash Point, so the choreography lean towards this direction." Production for Wisely is likely to start in around December."

source: Wu-jing.org

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wisely Slated for Production in 2011

-- Wisely --

Producer Raymond Wong is finally going ahead with Wisely, that was shelved in favour of Ip Man a few years back, next year. Donnie Yen is set to star as the title character in this 100m yuan budget film. It remains to be known if Wilson Yip would be directing.

Raymond Wong says, "This film's budget is very big, and there'll be copious special effects, Donnie Yen has been doing many period films of late, it's high time he did some modern films, in order to give everyone a refreshing change."

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/854-Wisely-Slated-for-Production-in-2011.html#comments

I guess this is a rehash of The Legend of Wisely.. not sure how excited I am about this... How about a Donnie Yen version of Crying Freeman instead? I think he can pull it off.

I guess this is a rehash of The Legend of Wisely.. not sure how excited I am about this...

It's another movie based on the same source material, which will make this the sixth movie with the character in it. (Seventh Curse, Legend of Wisely, Bury Me High, The Cat, and more recent (and bad) Wisely's Mystery File.)

Donnie Yen doing the choreography, and a cameo, for a James Bond/Indiana Jones/X-Files type flick? Sounds like it could be fun, especially with Wilson Yip directing it.

After more than 6 years, it looks like the new film adaptation of Ni Kuang's classic novel is finally taking off. But producer Raymond Wong is now eyeing either Louis Koo or TVB actor Raymond Lam to play the title role of Wisely rather than the original choice of Donnie Yen portraying the character. Fan Bingbing and Tang Wei are possible candidates for the role of Bai Su.

Source: http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/raymond-lam-and-louis-koo-considered-for-lead-role-in-wisely-movie/

Looking forward to it, though the Wisely movies are an uneven bunch at best. THE WESLEY'S MYSTERIOUS FILE (2002) (This was the last one made that I'm aware of) is a snore-fest.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I liked the Seventh Curse, and I watched Bury Me High, which was pretty uneven, though there are some great stunts in there. I think Legend of Wisely was OK, but I don't know how it would hold up. It would be nice to see some money thrown at the series, though I wonder if Yen is a little long in the tooth, and possibly, a little short for the role? This is going to sound racist, but a US/HK co-production would be good for this. Why? Honestly, HK and China really haven't proven themselves great at Sci Fi yet. Maybe an HK/Japan production. Keep the mainland as far from this as possible, otherwise it will be one big shit fest of bad CGI and swishy male pop stars.

Just found out that Donnie is only producing the film and few other upcoming projects (such as Seven Weapons) in partnership with Raymond Wong. However, the news of him wanting to make four films this year still stands. As for the title role of Wisely, it's still unknown at this point although the last report suggested Raymond Lam or Louis Koo as possible candidates.

Source: http://xin.msn.com/en-sg/entertainment/celebrity/donnie-yen-active-on-and-off-screen/ss-AA7U5En

I liked the Seventh Curse, and I watched Bury Me High, which was pretty uneven, though there are some great stunts in there. I think Legend of Wisely was OK, but I don't know how it would hold up. It would be nice to see some money thrown at the series, though I wonder if Yen is a little long in the tooth, and possibly, a little short for the role? This is going to sound racist, but a US/HK co-production would be good for this. Why? Honestly, HK and China really haven't proven themselves great at Sci Fi yet. Maybe an HK/Japan production. Keep the mainland as far from this as possible, otherwise it will be one big shit fest of bad CGI and swishy male pop stars.

I like The Seventh Curse too, though I'm not sure it should count as a Wisely movie, since the character only has what amounts to an extended cameo. It's been years since I've seen Bury Me High, and I don't have any impressions at all; not a good sign. I remember The Cat as pleasantly gonzo and The Legend of Wisely, mmmm, aliens and mountains and...maybe I just need to revisit Bury Me High and The Legend of Wisely. Has anyone ever seen Young Wisely (93) or Rebirth of the Goddess (Young Wisely II) (94)?

One Armed Boxer

No love for 'The Wesley's Mysterious File'!?:tongue:

I remember The Cat as pleasantly gonzo

I love this movie, not only because it has Waise Lee playing Wisely, which is hilarious, but because it contains a cat vs. dog kung-fu fight, and the line ""To prolong that cat's bowels.....I kept researching the cat bowels." What more do you want in a movie!? I posted a mini-review of it here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15584

One Armed Boxer

Post 1 - Donnie Yen is Wisely

Post 6 - He isn't

Post 7 - He is

Post 10 - He isn't

Post 13 - Maybe he is

This thread is highly entertaining.:tongue:

Archived