WIRA (2019) - Akan Datang, Di Pawagam, Yayan Ruhian,

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

As the logline dictates, Wira has actors Hairul Azreen and Henley Hii rejoining Teh for the story of “an ex-military force character who is fearless in fighting but chooses to deal with problems in his diplomatic ways. However, circumstances leave him with no choice but to fight his way to obtain justice for his family and community.” - Film Combat Syndicate

Link- https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/adrian-tehs-wira-returns-yayan-ruhian-to-martial-arts-villainy-in-the-official-launch-teaser/

• Like 4

DragonClaws
7 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Nice find. Looks promising. I'd like to see a longer trailer trailer.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing more from this movie. I thoght more people would be down for this?, we get bigger reactions for Alexander Nevsky movie announcements.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks, looking forward to seeing more from this movie. I thoght more people would be down for this?, we get bigger reactions for Alexander Nevsky movie announcements.

Oh I'm a hundred percent down for this. I'm just a little wary since the trailer doesn't show an awful lot. On top of that, this reeks of not getting a western release any time soon. With that said, the action looks solid. And, in my opinion, the more Yayan Ruhian, the better.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Ditto what I said here -  

Still might be worth checking out though, look at all the 70's/80's/90's flicks that were aimed at local audiences. Yet gained a big fanbase in the West.

• Like 1

Somewhere around an hour and a half into the movie I thought to myself, Why am I watching this?! There've been around 3-4 fights so far and they were average at best, really nothing to write home about.

And then we have a grand finale fight where the protagonist and his sister taking on the baddies - Ismi Melinda and Yayan Ruhian who basically reprises his role from The Raid.

And what a fight it was! Swords, knives and bare knuckles, almost non-stop 10 minutes of MA goodness. No flashy moves, no gore( well, just a little bit) but the pacing was very good and it was nicely shot. I enjoyed it. Can't say the same about the rest of the movie.

My advise? I wouldn't waste my time on it, just wait till the final fight shows up on youtube

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

I agree with @D1 Ma. This is a dull movie with distinctly average fight scenes throughout. Comparisons to other films will be rife but, trust me, this is nothing like those films. I actually found the choreography to be uninspired and boring. Very “regular” stuff. Nothing all that complex. Lot’s off telegraphing and purposeful misses etc.

Also, there’s this weird “Using a knife but not using a knife” gimmick that gets tired twenty seconds in.

I don’t think it got much better when Yayan Ruhian joined in on the action, to be honest. They seem to think speed is what’s makes a fight scene.

Watch this one of you’re bored. Otherwise, keep on scrolling on Netflix.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

Me and the wife watched this a couple of nights ago. Yeah, our sentiments are essentially the same as everyone else's so far. It's not quite a wasted effort, but it's not far off that mark. There looked to be some interesting tidbits in the choreography in places, but it lacked any kind of Wow! factor.

I don't get why the fight scenes were speeded up. What's up with that? I mean...come on! Was that supposed to be an homage to Donnie Yen's early days of filming fight sequences? It made the action look goofy and jerky. If they were trying to give it that old school undercranked feel, which gives fight scenes a nice flow and rhythm, they need to work on that. It really needed to be dialed down. 

I do like watching Yayan in action though. That dude is boss!

• Like 3