Favorite Sho Kosugi Ninja film?

Guest Chinatown Kid

bamboo spear

I'd have to go with Revenge of the Ninja. His battle with Braden on the top of the building was the epitome of crazy 80's Golan-Globus/Cannon ninjer action.

Chinatown Kid
TIMELESS can be downloaded from the MotoKlassic website. Here's the link:

http://www.motoklassic.com/download/play_movie/full.zip

It is Windows Media Format and is just over 20 minutes long, but IMO, well worth it, despite no English subs with parts of the film in English, Japanese, and Korean.

Cool, thanks man. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Coweb? I went to HKFlix and found it was out of print. :tinysmile_angry2_t: That fight the star had with Kane rocked, being a TKD stylist I got off on seeing Kane throw all those sweet kicks!:wink:

Cool, thanks man. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Coweb? I went to HKFlix and found it was out of print. :tinysmile_angry2_t: That fight the star had with Kane rocked, being a TKD stylist I got off on seeing Kane throw all those sweet kicks!:wink:

What you will find interesting Chinatown is that Kane actually injured his ankle during that fight but kept going. He was only doubled for a fall by British kicker Andy Taylor, who was on set to see the fight sequence and participate and Taylor put his notes about Kane's injury in a recent issue of Impact Magazine.

As for the movie, YesAsia has the film temporarily out of stock, but you can have them notify you by email as to when they will have it on stock again.

Revenge of the ninja-1983

Starring Sho Kosugi and family

Loved this when I first saw it back in the 80s even though it was heavily cut by the British censors.Started to watch the dvd I have which has the full version(I think)and god what awful acting,the action is top quality though,the Kosugi family are great along with Keith Vitali.Stand out sequences for me are the beginning and the van chase/fight scene,recommended viewing But you might just have to hit the fast forward button on occasions.👍👍👎

F282B212-5EBF-44A1-AA34-9A4B37640F91.jpeg

13DACCB2-0BA3-4C37-928A-90507F6B41B6.jpeg

Edited by sym8
  • Like 3

On 12/5/2020 at 12:02 PM, saltysam said:

Revenge Of The Ninja

Most of Sho Kosgui's family are slaughtered by ninja for not very clear reason, his baby son survives and together with his mother they relocate to USA where he starts an art gallery business with his american partner, who's using the gallert's models to smuggle in heroin. Oh and he's a top ninja master as well. It's all very silly but entertaining enough, climaxing with an excellent rooftop battle between good/bad ninja.

I re-watched Pray for Death for the first time in ages as I borrowed a friend's Arrow blu ray release. I remember watching it as a kid but it must've been a censored version because I don't recall some of the sexual violence (especially the hospital scene) that was pretty vile. i do remember having the creeps from watching this as a kid but but not due to any graphic or violent content but it was due to Sho Kosugi's eyeliner. For some reason, his eyes always creeped me out at as kid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I re-watched Pray for Death for the first time in ages as I borrowed a friend's Arrow blu ray release. I remember watching it as a kid but it must've been a censored version because I don't recall some of the sexual violence (especially the hospital scene) that was pretty vile. i do remember having the creeps from watching this as a kid but but not due to any graphic or violent content but it was due to Sho Kosugi's eyeliner. For some reason, his eyes always creeped me out at as kid.

Yes ,it was always pretty much only available in it's rated R form until recent years. I had the old UK VHS which was well scissored. Picked up a german mediabook which looked pretty good,uncut inserts of lesser quality. I guess the USA Arrow uses the same print. UK Blu is the cut R version.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, saltysam said:

Yes ,it was always pretty much only available in it's rated R form until recent years. I had the old UK VHS which was well scissored. Picked up a german mediabook which looked pretty good,uncut inserts of lesser quality. I guess the USA Arrow uses the same print. UK Blu is the cut R version.

Yep, it's the same print with the uncut footage looking rougher than the rest of the film. Plus it's region locked A too. So no need for you to double dip on this one.

• Like 2

So continuing my Sho Kosugi journey, I went ahead and watched Black Eagle. I saw this as a kid when it played on cable, so this was my first re-watch since the late 80s & it was the extended cut at that. I wasn't impressed as a kid and a re-watch hasn't changed my opinion. Boring, staid film and one of the worst from Sho Kosugi. You think this would have all the makings of a superior film with Kosugi at the height of his fame, a young JCVD, exotic & scenic Malta location, a decent plot revolving around political/military espionage but it just never comes together. Kosugi as a 007 type agent just doesn't work, Kosugi needed to stick to his bread and butter ninja act. The whole side story about him neglecting his kids with their CIA agent nanny in tow (played by Doran Clark) was so much cringe. I respect Kosugi for going out on a limb several times to get his kids into the biz but they really sidetracked this movie and on top of all those minuses, the action scenes are pretty lame too barring the bizarro world Way of Dragon, Kosugi vs JVCD fight scenes.

• Like 3

Yep i gave Black Eagle another chance by buying the UK blu ray but found it extremely bland and boring.I've got most of Kosugi's movies but i moved this one out of my collection.

• Like 3

To get the bad taste of Black Eagle out of my mouth, I re-watched Kosugi's best movie IMHO and that is Revenge of the Ninja. Haven't seen this in probably a decade or more but boy it still brought out the emotions in me. Just the perfect low budget ninja B-movie that just encapsulates everything I loved about the 80s ninja film fad. Really nice action set pieces and fight scenes too. Actually my favorite fight scene in the film had nothing to do with Sho at all but it was a hypnotized Cathy (Ashley Ferrere*) taking on Kane Kosugi in the dojo. That was an absolute laugh riot! This film was full of howlers especially the gang members at the park straight out of central casting looking like a mix of the Village People crossed with the Warriors. :rofl

* wonder what happened to Ashley? Very little info on her out there. She was smoking hot in this movie and in Cyclone. The scene where she comes out of the hot tub in the wet shirt - hubba, hubba. :whew She has to be in her 70s by now?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, saltysam said:

Yep i gave Black Eagle another chance by buying the UK blu ray but found it extremely bland and boring.I've got most of Kosugi's movies but i moved this one out of my collection.

While he's technically still playing a ninja, its nice to see him minus the hood. Disapointed when I first viewed it, but enjoyed it a lot more upon re-watching it.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

I think Pray for Death is my favourite just beating Revenge of the Ninja. Enter the Ninja & Ninja 3 are fun but I never rated any of his non ninja movies such as Black Eagle or Rage of Honour. 

• Like 2

revenge of the ninja it is. Great action and ninjitsu.

None of others deliver lot Ninja III is cheesy fun, pray for death fails none of enemies are skilled. 9 deaths just fun crap.enter the ninja is ok but really.when no action it drags..Revenge of the ninja has it all, lots traditional japanese weapons, seducing blonde, kid with nuncha, kills with shuriken, sword, ninja leaping from pool, long distance kill, fight at kids funyard quick reaction to falling teacup...

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 3