Favorite Sho Kosugi Ninja film?

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

I put this in the modern section because it's mainly about Sho's Ninja films of the 80's. Starting with Enter the Ninja, followed by Revenge of the Ninja, Ninja III: The Domination, Nine Deaths of the Ninja, Pray for Death, and I guess you can include Black Eagle although I'm not sure if he played and actual Ninja in that(seems like he was some kind of secret agent IIRC) and also his cameo as the villain in Blind Fury with Rutger Hauer. He is my favorite movie Ninja and he had alot of charisma/screen presence imo. A good martial artist with both empty hand and weapon skills, he was largly responsible for the Ninja craze of the 80's. My favorite movie of his is Revenge of the Ninja, good story and action with a nice finale fight set on the rooftop of a skyscraper. Also enjoyed Kieth Vitale's role of a Cop/Karate instructor teaming up with Sho to find out who is responsible for the Ninja style murders happening in the city. I guess while I'm at it I'll throw in my opinion on what I think is his worst film and that would have to be 9 Deaths of the Ninja. Hardly any action and a boring story, he should have past on that one. Pray For Death didn't really impress me either. I heard he was supposed to be coming out with a new film entitled Return of the Ninja but haven't heard anymore lately about it, anyone know if it's still going to happen? Anyways, what is your favorite Kosugi Ninja flick? :)

Revenge of the ninja for me - it was the first ninja movie i saw as a kid, i've seen it dozens of times since & in fact i watched it a month or so ago & still enjoyed it.

Pray for death i loved as a kid as well but i haven't seen it for at least 10 years so i'm not sure what i'd think of it now as i remember liking enter the ninja & ninja 3 the domination as well but now i find both movies pretty shitty (except the ninja killing spree on the golf course at the start of ninja 3 - that still rocks!).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N...ed&search=

9 deaths is a terrible film but weirdly looks quite good from the trailer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP92RK2lP7Y

Guest edher08

Revenge of the Ninja.

That was Kosugi at his best. that movie has no boring spots, it was all action!!!. It had everything, Good Ninja, Bad ninja, army of Ninjas, Sumo wrestlers, Karate Cop, pantless karate chick, Kid Ninja, Granny Ninja, Italian Mobsters, All kinds of thugs (indian, junkie, cowboy,yakuza,etc..), how can you top that?? lol

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Deffinitely grew up on the Kosugi Ninja flix!! Inspired me and my buddies to dress up in our homade ninja costumes and run thorugh the neighborhood at all hours of the night causing a few 911 calls :lol . Id say "Revenge Of The Ninja" was his best, but man I loved "Ninja 3" and "Pray For Death" (especially his steel helmet w/shuriken). I always wondered this.... was there ever a Ninja 1 or Ninja 2 before "Ninja 3:The Domination"?? Ive never seen or heard of either.

I always assumed ninja 1 was enter the ninja & ninja 2 was revenge of the ninja as Ninja 3 came after these two, although none of the movies are related.

Also i'm sure the trailer for ninja 3 referred to enter & revenge of the ninja therefore making this a sequel but i could be wrong as i haven't seen it for a while.

Guest Chinatown Kid

That's right andy, Enter The Ninja was the first in the series followed by Revenge of the Ninja. Then came the third in the series Ninja III, all these were put out by Cannon Films. I had heard talk that Sho was starring in another Ninja film that was supposed to be coming out titled Return of the Ninja but hadn't heard anymore about it lately. I sure hope it comes out though as I would love to see it!

It was reported in Impact magazine some time ago that Sho was going to star in Return of the Ninja & he was to play the role of the last ninja master who travels to America in the search for a successor, but unfortunately i've not heard anything since the story broke either.

Guest WalkOn

I agree with most here, my favorite movie of his is Revenge of the Ninja. Great film, IMO, especially for the 80's. Keith Vitali was great in this too. Seemed like a well balanced movie and Sho Kosugi is my favorite Ninja as well.

He appeared in person in Brooklyn, NY movie theatres to promote the film. He also performed demonstrations throughout the city.

He's a class act with the look, acting skill, martial arts skills and a lot of charisma that appear to have been passed on to his son, Kane. I look forward to both Sho and Kane in future projects.

I know this might sound cheesy but for the last 6 weeks or so I have been collecting video tapes of the Ninja Theater series. I'm just 3 or 4 away from having all of the demonstrations that Sho did. I think there's something like 22 videos, but half of those are repeated demonstrations from previous videos. Anyhow, I have everything transferred over to dvd. It's really been great watching those old kung-fu movies again. It's made me appreciate them more than I ever did when I was a kid. Sho is great!

silver hermit
I know this might sound cheesy but for the last 6 weeks or so I have been collecting video tapes of the Ninja Theater series. I'm just 3 or 4 away from having all of the demonstrations that Sho did. I think there's something like 22 videos, but half of those are repeated demonstrations from previous videos. Anyhow, I have everything transferred over to dvd. It's really been great watching those old kung-fu movies again. It's made me appreciate them more than I ever did when I was a kid. Sho is great!

you need masterclass to complete your sho kosugi collection! awesome !:smile:

I bought the VHS years ago. I ripped it to dvd-r and it still looks pretty good.

That's what I have been doing with the Ninja Theater videos also

Revenge of the Ninja was my favorite. And its a shame how Sho just seemed to disappear from Hollywood mainstream Martial Arts, I guess the genre died out a bit in the late 80's-90's But I thought for sure he would reappear in the early 2000's! But I'm glad he's back now!

But what really surprises me is that he never did any feature films in Japan, they were pumping out Ninja movies like crazy over there! I still would love to see him & Sonny Chiba do a Ninja flick together!

That's a hard one.

I can tell you what it's not: 9 Deaths of the Ninja! lol =D

Actually, I haven't seen it for years. Maybe it's good now and its wackiness caught up with time.

TibetanWhiteCrane
That's a hard one.

I can tell you what it's not: 9 Deaths of the Ninja! lol =D

Actually, I haven't seen it for years. Maybe it's good now and its wackiness caught up with time.

Trust me, it's not! It's like slow torture!

Chinatown Kid

I wonder if Kane has done any MA's flicks lately? Last thing I saw him in was Muscle Heat and he was pretty good, it would be great to see him in a modern Ninja flick.

I wonder if Kane has done any MA's flicks lately? Last thing I saw him in was Muscle Heat and he was pretty good, it would be great to see him in a modern Ninja flick.

Kane was in the 2008 film Coweb as a taekwondo fighter named Song who fought Jiang Luxia's character in an abandoned gym. The fight was taken over the internet for big gamblers. Coweb was the directorial debut for Xiong Xin-Xin.

Kane then appeared in a short film called Timeless, which was directed by City of Violence's Ryu Seung-Wan and co-starred Jung Doo-Hong as Kane's stunt teacher. It is rumored that Kane will be starring in a feature length action film in the near future with both Ryu and Jung again.

This is Kane vs. Luxia in COWEB

zEGt3OHcL2M

Kane in Timeless

QKLRXmvARJM

My favorite Sho Kosugi film? It's a tie....Revenge of the Ninja and Pray for Death!

Check out this blog I did on some Sho Kosugi ninja films that go announced in the 1980s but never actually got made:

http://originalvidjunkie.blogspot.com/2010/04/never-got-made-file-6-7-and-8-sho.html

VERY interesting. Damn. With the whole NINJA craze, I'm really surprised they weren't made. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the KICKBOXING craze basically take over?

Fist Of Boss
Trust me, it's not! It's like slow torture!

Unfortunately I have to agree on this.1st time I saw this years ago and during time imression it was not good film remained.

A while ago I checked it again and it turned out more than I remember.

If you like bad movies you may still want to check it out.Some things in movie are maybe copied from James Bond and for ninja against ninja action there is few moments in the end:nerd:

Chinatown Kid
Kane was in the 2008 film Coweb as a taekwondo fighter named Song who fought Jiang Luxia's character in an abandoned gym. The fight was taken over the internet for big gamblers. Coweb was the directorial debut for Xiong Xin-Xin.

Kane then appeared in a short film called Timeless, which was directed by City of Violence's Ryu Seung-Wan and co-starred Jung Doo-Hong as Kane's stunt teacher. It is rumored that Kane will be starring in a feature length action film in the near future with both Ryu and Jung again.

This is Kane vs. Luxia in COWEB

zEGt3OHcL2M

Kane in Timeless

QKLRXmvARJM

My favorite Sho Kosugi film? It's a tie....Revenge of the Ninja and Pray for Death!

Thanks for the info and clips Albert, much appreciated. I'm definately gonna try and see his recent films!

Thanks for the info and clips Albert, much appreciated. I'm definately gonna try and see his recent films!

TIMELESS can be downloaded from the MotoKlassic website. Here's the link:

http://www.motoklassic.com/download/play_movie/full.zip

It is Windows Media Format and is just over 20 minutes long, but IMO, well worth it, despite no English subs with parts of the film in English, Japanese, and Korean.