Identify film

tick

I'm trying to discover the name of a movie I watched as a young man in the 1970's in a cinema beneath a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown, London. I do acknowledge that my recollection of events might not be accurate but I would be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

The Plot
The Shaolin Temple is attacked, most monks are killed and the temple is burnt to the ground by evil forces. I think five monks escape and go into hiding. They train for revenge and at the end have a final confrontation with those who attacked the temple at the beginning. I know many movies have this plot. The monks have distinctive skills and fighting styles. One had impenetrable skin, he soaks his skin in solution in a barrel. He has one week spot and was killed via that by his opponent stabbing his sword from below in his private parts. Another fought with a pole that he retrieved from the wreckage from the burnt temple. Another fought on top of wood poles and if you fall off those poles there are wooden spikes which will kill you. Another fought with a three-section staff.

Many years have passed since my one and only viewing of this film and I would love to see it again. So if you can identify and tell me the name of the film please let me know.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chu Liu Hsiang

Hello, is it possible that you mix up two movies? Plot sounds like FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS. Fu Sheng fights on wood poles and has impenetrable skin (apart from that one spot) in SHAOLIN AVENGERS.

^He is right, "he soaks his skin in solution in a barrel". that is definitely in Shaolin avengers while hiding+most other stuff mentioned 5 shaolin masters.

So you need to see both movies which is not such a bad thing at all.

You may want after those check out "heroes two" and "men from the monastery" as well.

Yep, that is a plot from 2 (3) different movies.

2 hours ago, tick said:

The Shaolin Temple is attacked, most monks are killed and the temple is burnt to the ground by evil forces. I think five monks escape and go into hiding. They train for revenge and at the end have a final confrontation with those who attacked the temple at the beginning. Another fought with a pole that he retrieved from the wreckage from the burnt temple. Another fought with a three-section staff.

That is from 5 Shaolin Masters.

2 hours ago, tick said:

Another fought on top of wood poles and if you fall off those poles there are wooden spikes which will kill you.

This is from Shaolin Avengers

2 hours ago, tick said:

One had impenetrable skin, he soaks his skin in solution in a barrel. He has one week spot and was killed via that by his opponent stabbing his sword from below in his private parts.

This part is from both Shaolin Avengers & Men From The Monastery.

It is easy to confuse them as 2 of the main stars (Fu Sheng & Chi Kuan-Chun) are in all 3 movies and the movies follows (almost) the same theme.

There was fight in top of poles also in either heroes two or men from the monastery. Indeed, easy to confuse them.

1 hour ago, Tex Killer said:

There was fight in top of poles also in either heroes two or men from the monastery. Indeed, easy to confuse them.

Yep, especially when the movies have the same star.

16 minutes ago, thekfc said:

Yep, especially when the movies have the same star.

Indeed...I remember from Shaolin avengers fights vs leung kar yan, impressive ending in similar style grass where 5 shaolin masters begin, fu sheng agrees to practice iron skin even as means to stay as virgin without hesitation etc...but I can`t remember was chi kuan chun complete fighter or did he train also.well, that should be good excuse to revisit movie...

😜

Thank you to all who responded. On reflection, I think I've mixed up Five Shaolin Masters and Shaolin Avengers. Its been fun watching these movies over the last 24 hours. Just goes to show that memories of over 40 years ago are not as accurate as you think they are. 

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just throw this here...

I know I'm going to go "duh" when I find out the title, but I can't remember it for the life of me and it's been 2 weeks I've been trying to remember.

What is the film where an ex-Shaolin monk is chained up in a cave and a monk comes daily to feed him. He has been imprisoned there by the monks for some transgressions. He is really wild and angry, but eventually teaches the younger one martial arts while he is still chained. Later he escapes and maybe is the leader of a gang or something, my memory is kind of blurry on the rest.

At first I thought it was Jason Pai Piao as the monk, but I think I was mixing that up with his character in A Deadly Secret, and that the younger monk was Gordon Liu, but I think I'm wrong on both.

I know this is going to be so basic... please be kind, haha

Chen Hung Lieh
53 minutes ago, panku said:

What is the film where an ex-Shaolin monk is chained up in a cave and a monk comes daily to feed him. He has been imprisoned there by the monks for some transgressions. He is really wild and angry, but eventually teaches the younger one martial arts while he is still chained. Later he escapes and maybe is the leader of a gang or something, my memory is kind of blurry on the rest.

This reminds me of Shaolin Wooden Men with Jackie Chan

Archived