The Underappreciated Chu Yen-Ping Appreciation Thread

Guest thundered mantis

Guest thundered mantis

Here´s a short clip of the movie:

(edited clip; the movie is either kid vs cop or king of comic. We´ll know in a couple of weeks, I´ll post final title here :) )

It has been discussed a while ago on stuntpeople´s forum. Unfortunately the thread has been eaten by ezboard, because it contained the name of the movie. I can´t remember the name, only that I searched for it and was out of stock. Now I´d like to try again...

Guest thundered mantis

Yeah, the kid can surely hold his own on an "all time contest for annoying cinema kids", but I think you led me in the right direction.

I searched Shaolin Popey, and it´s not, but searched for the kid and found it must beThe King of Comic, same director than the Popey film. Now to look for it... (I know it will be horrid, but I´m a suker for drunken style fights)

Thank you Markgway! :D

Guest Markgway

I believe there were about seven of those Shaolin Popey films (not all of them were called SP though) so it could be any one of them? The guy fighting in the clip looked like Nicky Wu, but as I've only see him in one film I'm not too sure. Pretty sure that was Ng Man Tat in the background, though.

Guest theportlykicker

I remember the thread on the SP forum. The King of Comic does ring a bell. Why don't you ask rrden on youtube?

Guest thundered mantis

Hi portly! No need to ask rdenn; I remember I asked him at the time on the stuntpeople´s forum. He didn´t know the name of the movie, but spotted the actors and with that info I could find the name of the movie no doubt. I remember I got to this horrible cover (the boy is all over it :x :lol )

saidking of comic cover

Stupid thing is, I totally forgot the name of it, but, as you´ve said, "king of comic" rang a bell, and when I googled it, found again the infamous cover, so I´m sure (I´ve just ordered the china DVD, which on pokerindustries say it´s lbx., we´ll see)

Markgway, now that you say it, it seems highly probable this "king of comic" been part of the Popey series. Same director, very much same cast, and they did a lot of films together on that era.

Chu Yen Ping is a director to reivindicate, IMO. He did some underrated classics, regarding to fighting choreo and amazing stunts (Book of Heroes, 2 at least from Kung Fu Kids series, maybe this one we´re talking about). Ok, movies are bad, but the action is serious! He was like a kind of cheapo Jackie Chan director...

Guest Knetan

hey,

Chu Yen Ping of Golden Queen's Commanda/Pink Force Commando era is just absolutely wonderful. Ripping off every great scene from Western movies, its scores and whatnot but in such an endearing way it's impossible to dislike. Basically creating a paralell cinema world where anything is possible.

Then he had some sound dramatic instincts for a while with Island of Fire and more importantly A Home Too Far.

Guest contraspirit

I believe this clip is from KID VS.COP from Chu Yen Ping, I remember the location, the fat kid and Nicky Wu were there, too.

Guest thundered mantis

Aaargh! contraspirit, if you had say that like 16 hours ago, I´d be 15 bucks richer :lol

Damn king of comic and kid vs cop are from same year, same cast, same director, bah!

I´ll tell for sure once I get king of comic...

Guest Markgway
hey,

ah, Requital is fun REALLY over the top gangsta bloodbath.

It's a baaaaaaaaaad movie.

You have to warn people of that. 8)

Guest Markgway

Right, but if you tell anyone Requital is a good movie then they should have the right to slap you afterwards. Even if you found it enjoyable, it's still a crap film. You disagree?

Guest rdenn

its funny when i have posted my own youtube clips on here i have been told to delete them off (one of the kung fu kids movies the one in thailand i was helping some out) this forum, but others can post them, whats that about.:rolleyes

Guest Knetan

hey,

Requital is indeed not a good film but I like some of the atmos but mainly just the relentlessness of it and by saying so we enter into the part of the discussion of how different people view quite unquote bad films. :)

I get a kick out of b-movies, thrash or what have you. You can and it's possibly healthy to allow yourself to have fun. Shameless fun. Heck, immoral fun even.

Guest thundered mantis

Uhh I wasn´t aware of the ban for youtube clips on this forum, I posted it here only to not trying the patience of the stuntforum posters too much, as the question I was asking help for had already been solved once at stuntpeople´s thanks to rdenn´s help, and it was only my bad memory what had me clueleless on the matter.

I´m sorry if I did something wrong, it was unwillingly. My guess on what has happened is, that as my title post didn´t make any reference to a "youtube link", the mods haven´t still seen it and that´s surely why it hasn´t been removed. I´m removing it myself to save them the trouble. :(

Anyway, I don´t understand why youtube clips would be non allowed? They´re a great intro for talking about the movies, and have lead a lot of people into great films. Rdenn´s clips alone have made me bought like 30 movies! And Manozen, Liu Chia Linag and others have put many of us in the track of amazing rares. Do you remember the old "kung fu blind buy"? It´s over for me thanks to youtube contributors, and I´m grateful about it!

Rdenn, hope you´re not too upset about the clip, it was not my intention to bring back anything here. I´m currently after the Tung Wei TV series thanks to you! :D

Guest rdenn

thundering i have no beef with u i was referring to this forum telling me to take of my clips not you, im cool with anyone posting my clips i was just confused why i was told to delete mine when i post them myself.

Guest thundered mantis

Yeah man I understood so; I was also trying to refer to the whole kffdom policy, not to you but I´ve reread my post and it´s misleading (bah, my english quite sucks, I´m hopless, sorry you had to deal with it :lol )

You know I keep an eye for your clips, read ya on stuntpeople´s!

Cheers

Guest Markgway

The entertainment value of something like Requital is subjective... but I don't think anyone can dispute it's a bad film. Some films you can argue about... but not this one. It's like Plan 9. It's fun to revel in its sheer awfulness but that doesn't mean it's a good movie. That's all I was saying really.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Right, but if you tell anyone Requital is a good movie then they should have the right to slap you afterwards. Even if you found it enjoyable, it's still a crap film. You disagree?

:rollin

That is why I like Mark! ;)

Guest dager in the cotton

Requital is a great film nothing bad about any of it.

why is rdenn being youtube victimised the rare clips he puts up do all of us and the kung indusry a great service