Hex (Hong Kong, 1980)

chazgower01

chazgower01

Hex (Hong Kong, 1980) dvd 2.5/5

Director Kuei Chih Hung’s homage to the 1955 French thriller Les Diaboliques, is a worthy if uneven remake. The first 30 minutes are really good, the 2nd 40 minutes are somewhat lesser in their attempt at psychological suspense/small budget horror, and the last 20 minutes veer into outright exploitation.

For most of the movie, the mood and atmosphere is great, though the horror is fairly cheesy by today’s standard’s and the fully nude seance dance at the end went on forever (and is pretty revealing). Don’t get me wrong - she’s attractive and worth viewing, but after 6 minutes of it, you realize the movie’s kind of run out of steam and it’s time to go home.

hex.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 12.47.01 AM.png

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that the nude actress in Hex was also the same actress that appeared nude in Bloody Parrot. I could be wrong about that but the face and features are very similar. No idea whom she is but worth a watch. Bloody Parrot is a much better film in my opinion. The plot and scenery is a little more to my liking than Hex.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:55 PM, reason108 said:

I believe that the nude actress in Hex was also the same actress that appeared nude in Bloody Parrot. I could be wrong about that but the face and features are very similar. No idea whom she is but worth a watch. Bloody Parrot is a much better film in my opinion. The plot and scenery is a little more to my liking than Hex.

The actress in Bloody Parrot is Jenny Leung Jan Lei.  She's also in "Hex vs. Witchcraft" which was released in the same year, but is not credited in "Hex."  You could be right.  All I know is that I did not like watching "Hex." 

Here's a photo of her.

MahjongHeroes-LeungJanLei_66790fc603ee38369302cc44715ee99f.jpg

I didn't like Hex the first time I saw it, but it grew on me a bit. It is still not as good as Bewitched / Boxer's Omen, Seeding of a Ghost or the Black Magic films but it is better than I originally thought. That can not be said for the sequels, especially the first one. At least in the second sequel Lo Meng delivers a great comedic performance.

On 6/27/2019 at 4:52 AM, morpheus said:

The actress in Bloody Parrot is Jenny Leung Jan Lei.  She's also in "Hex vs. Witchcraft" which was released in the same year, but is not credited in "Hex." 

I don't believe the nude girl in Hex is Jenny Leung, I think its probably someone they brought in for that part specifically. Whoever it is though... zoinks!

On 7/2/2019 at 8:25 AM, Gaijin84 said:

I don't believe the nude girl in Hex is Jenny Leung, I think its probably someone they brought in for that part specifically. Whoever it is though... zoinks!

I don't either.  I think it may be someone willing to do a dance in the buff.  Besides, I have seen "Bloody Parrot" -didn't care for it much either- and Jenny Leung's body is put together differently than the girl who was nude in "Hex."

Archived