Gundala (2019) Indonesian superhero film

whitesnake

Indonesian writer and director Joko Anwar is filming Gundala, a superhero movie based on a comicbook by Harya 'Hasmi' Suraminata that was first published in 1969, and popular in the 1970s and 80s.  In the comic book, "Sancaka was a scientist who invented an anti-lightning struck serum, finally cracking the formula the night of his girlfriend's birthday, which he forgot about in the midst of his work.  She broke up with him,  causing the heartbroken Sancaka to run off into the stormy night.  He was struck by lightning, and elevated to 'Lightning Land' where Kronz, the king of Lightning Land, adopted him as his commander and his son, renaming him Gundala, the son of lightning."  He can shoot electricity from his body.  From http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/g/gundala.htm 

Yoko Anwar wrote or co-wrote and directed the horror/fantasy series Halfworlds 1st season (2015, 8 episodes) that aired on HBO Asia.  Previous movies he directed include Kala (Dead Time) and Satan's Slaves.  His new movie, Gundala, opens on the 50th anniversary of the appearance of the first Gundala comic book.  The role of Gundala is played by Abimana Aryasatya (The Night Comes For Us).  An earlier Gundala movie, Gundala Putra Petir, was released in 1981 (posted on Youtube under "Gundala Putra Petir 1981 VCDRip 720p).  Info from IMDB and https://screenanarchy.com/2019/04/trailer-joko-anwar-is-back-with-indonesian-comic-adaptation-gundala-a-super-vigilante-spectacular.html 

Gundala Official Video Teaser - 

More about Gundala (in Indonesian) including the comic book, 1981 movie and the 2019 movie - 

• Like 3

On August 18, 2019 in Jakarta, "Screenplay Films and comic brand Bumilangit announced its official raft of superhero characters to be featured in the first volume of the Bumilangit Cinematic Universe.  The announcement comes in the days leading up to the Toronto International Film Festival premiere of Joko Anwar's new movie, Gundala, starring Abimanya Arysatya.  That film leads with its title character among a litany of heroes and villains whose stories will now be translated for their big screen in a whole series of film adaptations by several directors by 2025."  More info at - https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/bumilangit-cinematic-universe-indonesia-is-all-in-with-volume-one-of-its-new-superhero-big-screen-franchise/  

• Like 3

I actually enjoyed this even though it was slow and the fighting wasn't quite there in quality. this could have been good, I see the potential it could have been. Hopefully they get better if make more which seems like they wanted it as a series from the way it ended. Not sure if most would like this at all, but you could see the potential i think, if decide to support it. They just need to get there fighting looking better and bring the story together more so it isn't so stretched out. In my opinion was a good attempt though, just needs improvement in some areas. I don't regret buying it, because seems there is potential, we will see.

• Like 3