Bolo Yeung - The Shaw Brothers Year's

DragonClaws

8 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

He's won a fair few screen duel's on film and T.V, but that's not what most producer's hired him to do. Check out Bolo(1979), where he plays a hero alongside Jason Pia Piao. Mr Yeung also directed and scripted some of this movie. He also played a good guy in a number of American production's, such as T.C2000, and Shootfighter 1 & 2. The first time he played a hero was in Trilogy of Swordsmanship(1972). Which @ShawAngela clarified for me earlier in this thread.

He was also good in Young People, The Fugitive and Snake Deadly Act

He is also evil, but then turns good in The Rescue if I remember

• Like 4

DragonClaws
10 minutes ago, saltysam said:

is it multicom, seems to be them who own these recent old school kung fu HD prints

I believe it is, but I'm not the person who is actually communicating with them.

DragonClaws
10 minutes ago, panku said:

He was also good in Young People, The Fugitive and Snake Deadly Act

He is also evil, but then turns good in The Rescue if I remember

Thanks for the additonal title's @panku, I havent watched either The Fugitive or The Rescue just yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I havent watched either The Fugitive or The Rescue just yet.

I don't even remember to have seen him in The rescue, but he wasn't familiar to me when I watched this excellent movie.

I haven't watched The fugitive as yet, though I had planned to do it a long while ago, but with Yueh Hua in it and relating the story of the hero Lin Chong in it, it should be a great movie too...

• Like 2

DragonClaws
4 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I don't even remember to have seen him in The rescue, but he wasn't familiar to me when I watched this excellent movie.

According to his HKMDB page, he appeared in this 1971 - Shen Chiang directed movie. Playing the role of Chief Cha Te.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I havent watched either The Fugitive or The Rescue just yet.

28 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I haven't watched The fugitive as yet, though I had planned to do it a long while ago, but with Yueh Hua in it and relating the story of the hero Lin Chong in it, it should be a great movie too...

They are both great Lo Lieh films. The Fugitive is a story of 2 bandits, Lo Lieh and Ku Feng, but one gets caught and the other betrays him. From what I remember the Celestial version is kind of short. I don't know if that's the way the film was made or if there is something cut. I don't remember Yueh Hua in this film though.

• Like 2

Dragon Face
28 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

According to his HKMDB page, he appeared in this 1971 - Shen Chiang directed movie. Playing the role of Chief Cha Te.

Some screenshots from The Rescue.

Snapshot_19.jpeg

Snapshot_17.jpeg

Snapshot_18.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, panku said:

The Fugitive is a story of 2 bandits, Lo Lieh and Ku Feng, but one gets caught and the other betrays him. From what I remember the Celestial version is kind of short. I don't know if that's the way the film was made or if there is something cut. I don't remember Yueh Hua in this film though.

Shame on me !!

I mistook The fugitive with Pursuit !!

Of course I watched The fugitive, and yes, it was a great movie too !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, panku said:

If you revisit it, I would be interested to see the difference with the French subs as opposed to the English. Maybe some things will become clearer.

Ok, I just rewatched it.

I love this investigator's job !!

Although the French subtitles say that Ti Lung and Li Ching are Xu Min's children, the Mandarin language clearly says Xu Ning.

Bolo is never called by his name, what a shame !!

When David Chiang tells his name to the others, he says "Mu Yu Qi " in the Mandarin language, and he adds that he is " Bai (or Pai, I'm not sure of what I heard) Han Di Shi Yi  " and later when the heroes talk about him they also refer to Bai Han Di as being a famous family, so, I don't think that David Chiang's role has something to do with Xiao Shi Yi Lang.

In my opinion, "Shi Yi Lang " refers to the fact that he is the 11th son, but maybe he is a cousin or a nephew by the maternal line of Bai Han Di, which would explain that his family name is Mu instead of Bai.

That's too bad that there are only French subtitles and not both Chinese and French, hence, I could have verified some other things andsee if it's really Bai that I heard, for instance...

• Like 3

And talking about Bolo, I took a look to his filmography on hkcinemagic and noticed that he is also mentioned as playing in Lady professional, and other titles that I don't remember to have seen on hkmdb.

I'll compare both filmographies when I'll have more time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Shame on me !!

I mistook The fugitive with Pursuit !!

Of course I watched The fugitive, and yes, it was a great movie too !!

Oh, if you haven't seen Pursuit, I would recommend that VERY highly. One of the best! There a little humor at the beginning, but don't let that fool you. It is a pretty bleak film where Yueh Hua suffers greatly. It's also part of the Water Margin story.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Ok, I just rewatched it.

I love this investigator's job !!

Although the French subtitles say that Ti Lung and Li Ching are Xu Min's children, the Mandarin language clearly says Xu Ning.

Bolo is never called by his name, what a shame !!

When David Chiang tells his name to the others, he says "Mu Yu Qi " in the Mandarin language, and he adds that he is " Bai (or Pai, I'm not sure of what I heard) Han Di Shi Yi  " and later when the heroes talk about him they also refer to Bai Han Di as being a famous family, so, I don't think that David Chiang's role has something to do with Xiao Shi Yi Lang.

In my opinion, "Shi Yi Lang " refers to the fact that he is the 11th son, but maybe he is a cousin or a nephew by the maternal line of Bai Han Di, which would explain that his family name is Mu instead of Bai.

That's too bad that there are only French subtitles and not both Chinese and French, hence, I could have verified some other things andsee if it's really Bai that I heard, for instance...

OK, that makes sense then that the subtitles in both the English and French are wrong and they meant Xu Ning.

I'm still confused about David Chiang's character, but you have presented some good material to think about.

There are Chinese subs on the version I have. I could take some screenshots.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

And talking about Bolo, I took a look to his filmography on hkcinemagic and noticed that he is also mentioned as playing in Lady professional, and other titles that I don't remember to have seen on hkmdb.

I'll compare both filmographies when I'll have more time.

The Lady Proffessional is listed on his HKMDB filmography, Bolo is listed as playing one of the bald killer's.

Link- http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5233&display_set=eng

2 hours ago, Dragon Face said:

Some screenshots from The Rescue.

Thanks for sharing those screenshots here @Dragon Face.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

The Lady Proffessional is listed on his HKMDB filmography, Bolo is listed as playing one of the bald killer's.

I must have took a look too quickly, then, thanks for letting me know.

• Like 1

Here are the credits off the screen. While Bolo is not listed as having a character name on HKMDB, he is listed on screen. His translated character's name is Fierce Leopard.

Screen credits (read from right to left)

虎面青 ... 龍 狄
傑 尤 ... 鍾 王
達 任 ... 星 陳
虎地抓 ... 燦炎唐
英鳳徐 ... 菁 李
春逢花 ... 雷 鄭
豹延呼 ... 斯 楊
仁 秦 ... 裕光王
郎一十 ... 衛大姜
儀大羅 ... 峰 谷
章汝蓀 ... 河清王
勝 關 ... 欽池吳

Translations from Hong Kong Film Archive:

Blue-faced Tiger ... Ti Lung
You Jie ... Wong Chung
Ren Da ... Chen Sing
Grass Tiger ... Bruce Tong Yim Chaan
Xu Fengying ... Li Ching
Hua Fengchun ... Cheng Lui
Fierce Leopard ... Yang Szu
Qin Ren ... Wang Kuang Yu
Eleven Lang ... David Chiang
Luo Dayi ... Ku Feng
Sun Ruzhang ... Wong Ching Ho
Guan Sheng ... Wu Chi Chin

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, panku said:

Eleven Lang ... David Chiang

So strange that  HKFA doesn't even lists his  name Mu Yu Qi, since it's the name that can be heard during the movie !

Thanks for this information, @panku.

We have now to investigate in order to know who was the father of Fierce Leopard, and if there are similar Chinese characters in the second list I posted...

• Like 4

So strange that  HKFA doesn't even lists his  name Mu Yu Qi, since it's the name that can be heard during the movie !

The translations are based only on what is written on screen in the intro credits. The character David Chiang plays is written 十一郎...  Eleven (十一) Lang (郎).

vlcsnap-2020-04-19-19h35m33s145.png.fc376e55aed0580e6988e6b3f685968a.png

We have now to investigate in order to know who was the father of Fierce Leopard, and if there are similar Chinese characters in the second list I posted...

I think I might have figured out who he is related to. Number 8 on the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_Stars_of_Destiny

呼延灼 - Huyan Zhuo is one of the 108 heroes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huyan_Zhuo
呼延豹 - Huyan Leopard - Bolo's name in the film.

Their family names are of course the same, but look how similar their first names are!

• Like 4

Actually I just realized the characters on the list, we have 3 in a row, number 7, 8 and 9. If Ti Lung and Li Ching are children of Xu Ning, he is number 18.

7 Qin Ming father of Qin Ren (Wang Kuang Yu)
8 Huyan Zhuo father of Huyan Bao (Bolo Yeung Tse)
9 Hua Rong father of Hua Feng Chun (Cheng Lui)
18 Xu Ning father of Xu Shi Ying and Xu Feng Ying (Ti Lung and Li Ching)

Also I think there might be a mixup somewhere. Above I listed Bruce Tong as Hu Yan Bao, which we now know is Bolo's name. I got that from the subtitles when the guards are talking to David Chiang and he is asking who the other heros are. Chen Sing explains and says "The one with double whip is Hu Yan Bao".

Now the confusing part to me is no one is using the double whip. Bruce Tong is using double knives and Bolo is using a segmented rod/mace that is very similar in look to double whips but much bigger and he only has one. Maybe he lost one? I wish I knew the names of these weapons better.

Bruce Tong's name is 抓地虎  Zhua De Hu. Now we have to figure out who he is related to and we have everyone. Well except fot David Chiang.

Edited by panku
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, panku said:

抓地虎  Zhua De Hu. Now we have to figure out who he is related to

I don't see any Zhua in the list of the 108 heroes, nor anyone related to whips, and indeed, his weapons aren't whips...

If he is really Hu Yan Bao, the only hero with Hu as family name is Hu San Niang...

You did a very good job, thanks for the two above posts !

• Like 2

DragonClaws

The Boxer’s Omen: Shaw Brothers, Exploitation, and Horror

Link- https://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/boxers-omen-feature

For most people unversed in Kung-Fu or martial arts cinema, the line gets drawn at Bruce Lee, but what about the Venom Mob, or Gordon Lui? Before western directors started handling performers like Jackie Chan and Chow Yung Fat, there were Chinese directors who were, for lack of a better word, a brand. People like Chang Cheh dolled out nihilistic ultraviolence in flicks like One-Armed Swordsman, Lau Kar-leung orchestrated some of the greatest fights ever put to screen in 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Tarantino would later pay tribute to this golden age by using Gordon Lui, one of the great Shaw Brothers talents, in his Kung-Fu hark-back Kill Bill. Just about every major star working in Martial Arts today owes their career to the veritable longevity of the Shaw Brothers’ work.

The late Phillip Ko-Fei.

Image source- http://krelllabs.blogspot.com/2012/10/matter-over-mind.html

boxersomen1.png

• Like 2

DragonClaws
15 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I need to revisit The wandering swordsman, now !!

Caught this one Tuesday night, compared to the amount of movie watched by many here. What I've viewed this week is barely a Shaw Brothers marathon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

compared to the amount of movie watched by many here

I have a little bit slowed down on the movies viewings since I returned at work...at home since the 20th of April, and it takes a lot of time to communicate with the pupils tand their parents hrough emails, send them updated and alleged documents for the lessons, correct each of their homeworks with more comments on each than if we were at school, audio conferences with the chief and the colleagues and so on, so...less time to watch anything, sadly...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1