Bolo Yeung - The Shaw Brothers Year's

DragonClaws

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I havent had the chance to view Trilogy of Swordsmenship(1972), so I've got another queston for everyone here. Did Bolo Yeung play both a hero and villian, like he's credited as doing on the HKMDB page?. The following review suggest's he was only in the finale?. I've read a number of other write-up's/reviews, and none of them talk about his duel role in this production.

This leads to many comical situations to balance the wuxia violence, and it results in a very pleasing bite-sized film. Yueh Hua and Shih Szu also have a fantastic spear battle, and Bolo Yueng pops up at the end with a rare full head of hair. Pure entertainment, if a bit light.

Source- https://www.silveremulsion.com/2013/12/27/trilogy-of-swordsmanship-1972/

Bolo-Yeung917.jpg

I'll watch it this evening and let you know. Nice poster, by the way.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I'll watch it this evening and let you know. Nice poster, by the way.

Thanks again @ShawAngela, I think Bolo plays a member of Master Shi's(Tian Ching) gang?, in at least one scene?.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks again @ShawAngela, I think Bolo plays a member of Master Shi's(Tian Ching) gang?, in at least one scene?.

I hadn't watched this movie since at least 11 or 12 years, so, it was an highly enjoyable watch, though the three segments were far too short and should have been developed in a whole movie for each of them !

Ok, so, here are the informations : in the first segment, The iron bow, yes, Bolo plays the strongest fighter of Tien Ching's gang, called Big Bear, with an as awful wig as the one he wore in The 36 deadly styles. He appears in the fight in the inn.

And in the third segment, he plays a hero descendant of 108 heroes from the Liang Mountain, who first helps to free Ti Lung from the soldiers, together with 5 other heroes (among them, there is Ti Lung's sister played by Li Ching, and Hero Hua, played by Cheng Lei), and later helps the other 5 to free David Chiang who has been framed by Ku Feng and is about to be beheaded.

So, hkmdb is right : Bolo plays in two of the three movies, once as a bad guy and once as a good guy.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

So, hkmdb is right : Bolo plays in two of the three movies, once as a bad guy and once as a good guy.

A huge thank you @ShawAngela, for your continued help with my queries.

• Like 2

The 3rd segment is called 'White Water Strand' and it takes place 20 years after 'All Men are Brothers'. Not sure if it is taken directly from The Water Margin or if it is a fictionalized account based on characters from the story.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
21 hours ago, panku said:

Not sure if it is taken directly from The Water Margin or if it is a fictionalized account based on characters from the story.

Hi @panku, I think it was a brand new story that featured some of the same character's?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

It's clearly stated in the dialogue that the heroes who meet David Chiang at the beginning of the movie are the descendants of the 108 heroes, though there might be a mix between Cheng Lei's character who is a famous archer and the "real" hero skilled in archery among the 108 heroes, and David recognizes Ti Lung as the descendant of the hero who had a blue mark on his face because he has the same mark.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

It's clearly stated in the dialogue that the heroes who meet David Chiang at the beginning of the movie are the descendants of the 108 heroes, though there might be a mix between Cheng Lei's character who is a famous archer and the "real" hero skilled in archery among the 108 heroes, and David recognizes Ti Lung as the descendant of the hero who had a blue mark on his face because he has the same mark.

Appreciate the clarification, here's more on the subject from SILVER EMULSION FILM REVIEWS(See below).

The most interesting thing about this story is how the bandit heroes are referred to as the descendants of the Liang Shan bandits (AKA all the badass bandit heroes from The Water Margin). But when a casual reference to a far superior movie is your short’s best selling point, you’re in trouble. I can’t complain too much; it’s a Chang Cheh/Ti Lung/David Chiang/Li Ching joint, and those are always a fun time regardless of any story issues.

Source- https://www.silveremulsion.com/2013/12/27/trilogy-of-swordsmanship-1972/

• Like 2

OK, I just rewatched White Water Strand and I picked up a few things:

Cheng Lui plays Hua Feng Chun, the son of Hua Rong (Paul Chun Pui in All Men Are Brothers) who was one of the 108 heroes
Wang Kuang Yu plays Qin Ren, the son of Qin Ming (Lei Lung in All Men are Brothers) who was also one of the 108 heroes as well as one of the Five Tigers

Wu Chi Chin plays Guan Sheng who was one of the 108 heroes. He is executed by the minister because he won't surrender to the Jin takeover.

So this story includes a survivor of the 108 heros and the children of others. I do not know who Ti Lung and Li Ching are supposed to be the children of. The subs refer to him as Xu Min.

Bolo is the only one of the 7 heros who is never named.

David Chiang plays Mu Yu Ji which seems to be an alias for Shiyi Lang who is from a much more recent story than the Water Margin, The Eleventh Son by Gu Long. The subs mention Shiyi Lang the 11th son, but it was not clear to me whether they were saying that's who he was or if he was Shiyi Lang's son.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, panku said:

Cheng Lui plays Hua Feng Chun, the son of Hua Rong (Paul Chun Pui in All Men Are Brothers) who was one of the 108 heroes
Wang Kuang Yu plays Qin Ren, the son of Qin Ming (Lei Lung in All Men are Brothers) who was also one of the 108 heroes as well as one of the Five Tigers

Wu Chi Chin plays Guan Sheng who was one of the 108 heroes. He is executed by the minister because he won't surrender to the Jin takeover.

So this story includes a survivor of the 108 heros and the children of others. I do not know who Ti Lung and Li Ching are supposed to be the children of. The subs refer to him as Xu Min.

Bolo is the only one of the 7 heros who is never named.

David Chiang plays Mu Yu Ji which seems to be an alias for Shiyi Lang who is from a much more recent story than the Water Margin, The Eleventh Son by Gu Long. The subs mention Shiyi Lang the 11th son, but it was not clear to me whether they were saying that's who he was or if he was Shiyi Lang's son.

There is a Xu Ning among the heroes who could be Ti Lung's and Li Ching's father, but there is also the " Blue Faced Beast " Yan Zhi who could be Ti Lung's father since this latter has the same blue mark on his forehead and that's because of that that David Chiang knew he was a descendant of one of the 108 heroes.

BUT, as Ti Lung's and his sister's weapon is a lance, they are more probably Xu Ning's children, since this latter's nickname is Gold Lancer...So, maybe Chang Cheh created them by mixing two of the 108 heroes to be their father...

I don't remember which weapons used Bolo in this section of the movie, but here is the list of the names, maybe you'll find who was his father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Water_Margin_characters

I also heard that some people called David Chiang Shi Yi Lang and I was surprised by this name, since he was also called Mu Yu Qi. As he is a wanderer and he is against the government, it would be a similarity with Xiao Shi Yi Lang, but how the two are related is a mystery...In addition to that, there are two among the 108 heroes called Mu, but maybe it isn't the same Mu...

• Like 4

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, panku said:

Hi @panku & @ShawAngela, thanks for the feedback, I'm just about to start a 2nd epic Shaw Brothers marathon this week.  I wont flood the forum with lengthy reviews, but I'll try to share some of my thoughts /notes when I can.

• Like 2

@DragonClaws, did you watch the movie Tiger as yet ?

If not, you should, it's really a very good one.

I wonder why Kim Jin Pal didn't make more movies. Does anyone know ?

My friend in Hong Kong sent me a picture to show me that this movie has been released in VHS format, not good quality print, from what he told me.

Here is the picture below.

Tiger1973.jpg

• Like 2

DragonClaws
3 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

@DragonClaws, did you watch the movie Tiger as yet ?

If not, you should, it's really a very good one.

I watched this a couple of year's ago, it was the exact same print you watched. I struggled to enjoy it as much as you did, but I'd love to se a superior version. The picture quality and poor subtitles were pretty hard to sit through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

I struggled to enjoy it as much as you did

It seems that despite my old age (:bs_laughing:), I have kept the same enthusiasm I had when I was a teenager for all these old movies, whatever the quality of the print or the plot...:bs_smile:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

There is a Xu Ning among the heroes who could be Ti Lung's and Li Ching's father, but there is also the " Blue Faced Beast " Yan Zhi who could be Ti Lung's father since this latter has the same blue mark on his forehead and that's because of that that David Chiang knew he was a descendant of one of the 108 heroes.

BUT, as Ti Lung's and his sister's weapon is a lance, they are more probably Xu Ning's children, since this latter's nickname is Gold Lancer...So, maybe Chang Cheh created them by mixing two of the 108 heroes to be their father...

I don't remember which weapons used Bolo in this section of the movie, but here is the list of the names, maybe you'll find who was his father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Water_Margin_characters

I also heard that some people called David Chiang Shi Yi Lang and I was surprised by this name, since he was also called Mu Yu Qi. As he is a wanderer and he is against the government, it would be a similarity with Xiao Shi Yi Lang, but how the two are related is a mystery...In addition to that, there are two among the 108 heroes called Mu, but maybe it isn't the same Mu...

Seeing that Chang Cheh included a character from a Gu Long novel, I think you are right and it may be possible that Ti Lung and Ching Li's father is a composite. Probably mostly based on Xu Ning, but he added a little Yan Zhi in there, maybe to make it more interesting. Great!

I took some notes on weapons when I watched it:

Ti Lung - Subs say Xu Shi Ying and/or Xu Shi Min (Green Faced Tiger, Son of Xu Min) uses his sister's spear, so I don't know what his usual weapon is.
Li Ching - Xu Feng Ying (Daughter of Xu Min) (Koulian spear)
Cheng Lui - Hua Feng Chun (Son of Hua Rong one of the 108 heroes) (Iron Bow)
Bruce Tong - Zhua De Hu (Tiger) (Double daggers, subs say Double whip)
Wang Kuang Yu - Qin Ren (Son of Qin Ming, one of the 108 heros and one of the Five Tigers) (Sword)
Bolo Yeung Sze - Hu Yan Bao (Mace)
David Chiang - Mu Yu Ji / Shiyi Lang (from The Eleventh Son by Gu Long) (Pole) Don't know whether wood or iron

I don't know what the proper name for the weapon Bolo uses. Cudgel was about the closest I could find. It is a round metal rod about the length of a sword with ribs in it like bamboo. It tapers at the end.

Edit: Corrected Bruce Tong's and Bolo's character's names

Edited by panku
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, panku said:

Ti Lung - Subs say Xu Shi Ying and/or Xu Shi Min (Green Faced Tiger, Son of Xu Min) uses his sister's spear, so I don't know what his usual weapon is.

His weapon is also a spear. From what I remember, he said that the one of his sister was shorter than his, but that it would do for the current fight.

Is there any of the 108 heroes listed in the link I sent mentioning something similar to Bolo's weapon ?

Wasn't the sound heard when David Chiang used his weapon similar to an iron one ? I'm not sure, I should finally revisit this particular episode...!!

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Wasn't the sound heard when David Chiang used his weapon similar to an iron one ? I'm not sure, I should finally revisit this particular episode...!!

Yes, it was a metal sound.

If you revisit it, I would be interested to see the difference with the French subs as opposed to the English. Maybe some things will become clearer.

10 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Is there any of the 108 heroes listed in the link I sent mentioning something similar to Bolo's weapon ?

A better term might be Mace. Here is a similar one:

10942_0.jpg.40bc2975c4309910034beae7fe6493ea.jpg

28 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

His weapon is also a spear. From what I remember, he said that the one of his sister was shorter that his, but that it would do for the current fight.

Yes, you're right, I remember him saying that.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

Bolo is so underrated. He has put over so many stars over the years. Has he ever won an onscreen duel like ever? He only plays villains? 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Bolo is so underrated. He has put over so many stars over the years. Has he ever won an onscreen duel like ever? He only plays villains? 

Been a long time but wasn't he a goodie in Shootfighter?

• Like 3

DragonClaws
16 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Has he ever won an onscreen duel like ever? He only plays villains? 

He's won a fair few screen duel's on film and T.V, but that's not what most producer's hired him to do. Check out Bolo(1979), where he plays a hero alongside Jason Pia Piao. Mr Yeung also directed and scripted some of this movie. He also played a good guy in a number of American production's, such as T.C2000, and Shootfighter 1 & 2. The first time he played a hero was in Trilogy of Swordsmanship(1972). Which @ShawAngela clarified for me earlier in this thread.

18 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

He has put over so many stars over the years.

That's right, look how Sammo Hung made Bob Wall look in Game of Death. When I first saw that fight, I'd never seen Sammo in anything else. It was only year's later, that I discovered he was a huge talent in his own right. Sometimes, the villian talents or skills can be played down in order for the hero of the story to look good. This is no reflection on anyone actual fighting ability, it's just for the cameras.

• Like 4

The movie Bolo isn't great but well worth watching,it's pretty unusual. Especially now it's knocking around in a nice HD version

• Like 3

DragonClaws
1 minute ago, saltysam said:

Especially now it's knocking around in a nice HD version

We have contacted the owner's of this version, with plans to use clips in our up-coming Documentary.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

We have contacted the owner's of this version, with plans to use clips in our up-coming Documentary.

is it multicom, seems to be them who own these recent old school kung fu HD prints

• Like 2