Bolo Yeung - The Shaw Brothers Year's

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Can any of our Shaw Brothers experts, here on the forums. Confirm if it was in fact Run Run Shaw who discovered Bolo Yeung?. I'd love to know if this is how he actually got a break in Hong Kong movies?. I'm not sure where the author of this article acquired the information?.

Until the producer Run Run Shaw of Shaw Brothers, visiting a gym, looks at his imposing physique, giving him a chance to play a supporting role in The Heroic Ones (1970), by Chang Cheh.

Surce- https://steemit.com/cn/@elewisc/the-most-evil-character-tribute-to-bolo-yeung

55734cd7a27f912ac789f376cd29e72b.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

This is what khcinemagic says about situation...quite the same although some differences..no mention about RR visiting gym although it likely happened. But hard to say was it RR who actually discovered him first of studios...maybe or maybe not. But Shaw as biggest studio was most tempting as his early career shows...

" Even though Bolo Yeung’s career is intimately related to baddies characters, whose intelligence often equals one of an oyster, he is an actor that managed to create charismatic roles, being often able to wake up the spectator from its deep lethargy.

Born in Guangzhou suburbia, Bolo Yeung studies martial arts since his youngest age from local great masters. But, contrarily to many others, he is also interested in developing his physical strength through intensive muscular training. During the 60s, he is forced to run away from communism, and leaves to take refuge in Hong Kong, where he first becomes a body-building teacher. In 1970, he is even consecrated as Mister Hong Kong.

His strong corpulence, his brute face and his obvious martial skills quickly attracted the attention of the big studios, particularly the Shaw Brothers that offer him in 1969 to act in Chang Cheh’s The Heroic Ones as the brutal and robust general Meng Chieh Hui. Once his career is really started, Bolo Yeung does some more movies with Chang Cheh (Deadly Duo, Angry Guest) before leaving the Shaw studios in 1971. Concurrently to his cinematographic adventures, he acts in a few TV ads, including one for the Winston cigarettes brand. It is this occasion that will lead him to meet with Bruce Lee. Struck by the monstrous corpulence of Bolo, he offers him to hold a fighter role in his new film, Enter The Dragon. Unfortunately, Bolo Yeung is once more reduced to a brainless character, whose only goal seems to be the most brutal possible destruction of his opponent. Worse, the movie does not propose any direct confrontation between Bruce Lee and Bolo Yeung. Even if this would have been planned for Game Of Death, the death of the little dragon puts a definite end to the hopes of Bolo Yeung.

During the 70s and 80s, Bolo Yeung is going to play in about a hundred of movies, most of the time in the role of a monstrous stranger, whose presence mainly serves to put the main character (usually a Bruce Lee clone) in a heroic position. He can be seen being put into pieces, but not without resistance, in such forgotten movies as Hong Kong Superman, The Fighting Dragon, Bruce's Deadly Fingers, Big Boss 2, The Clones Of Bruce Lee, Bruce Li In New Guinea (!), Bruce The Super Hero and many others.

Even though he has played in countless movies, often of a doubtful quality, we have to wait until the end of the 80s to see Bolo Yeung making a name amongst action movies fans. It is in 1988 that he gets the Chong Li role, in Bloodsport, along with a beginner, Jean-Claude Van Damme. For many, the true attraction of the movie is Bolo Yeung. And we will see him crossing path with the Belgian again in Double Impact, in 1991. At last, in 1993, Bolo Yeung acts in Shootfighter: Fight To Death where he gets one of his rare good guy roles. He returns in 1996 in a sequel : Shootfighter 2 : Kill Or Be Killed"

• Like 4

DragonClaws
11 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

This is what khcinemagic says about situation...quite the same although some differences..no mention about RR visiting gym although it likely happened. But hard to say was it RR who actually discovered him first of studios...maybe or maybe not. But Shaw as biggest studio was most tempting as his early career shows...

Thank you @Tex Killer, this information is really apprciated. I guess we will never know or be 100% sure, but it's looking like Run Run Shaw was at least the guy who helped to put him on the Martial Arts movie road.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

Bolo first appeared in Wandering Swordsman ('70), released about six months before Heroic Ones ('70), although what was filmed first, who knows. 

He made 17 movies for Shaws before departing in '72, with his last film for the studio being All Men are Brothers, shot in '72 (possibly '73) but released in '75.

This is all readily available info if you wanna do a bit digging beyond wikipedia. Also, I don't wanna sound like a dick here, but if you're doing a documentary on someone, shouldn't a reliable bio be the bare minimum of research done?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

He made 17 movies for Shaws before departing in '72, with his last film for the studio being All Men are Brothers

This is not actually correct. He appeared roughly decade later in boxers omen and has good kickboxing fight against kao fei

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
31 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Also, I don't wanna sound like a dick here, but if you're doing a documentary on someone, shouldn't a reliable bio be the bare minimum of research done?

Damn, I'd forgotten about that documentary!  Good point though, DC could we ask your buddy Pavel Nysiak to question Bolo himself on this matter, then maybe that'll give us the answers we're looking for!

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
19 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

This is not actually correct. He appeared roughly decade later in boxers omen and has good kickboxing fight against kao fei

Good call. Shaw horror was never my bag so I missed that one. But it actually illustrates my point.... there is so much info and misinfo out there, that if you're doing a doc, it really is up to whoever is putting it together to sift through ALL of it and find the right answers.... or as close as you can possibly get. Glad I'm not doing it.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 4/24/2019 at 9:50 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Damn, I'd forgotten about that documentary!  Good point though, DC could we ask your buddy Pavel Nysiak to question Bolo himself on this matter, then maybe that'll give us the answers we're looking for!

On 4/24/2019 at 9:16 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Also, I don't wanna sound like a dick here, but if you're doing a documentary on someone, shouldn't a reliable bio be the bare minimum of research done?

@TibetanWhiteCrane There's is not even a basic bio on this guy, which is what makes this documentary such a challenge😁. The info wasnt from Wikipedia, if you click on the source. You will see it was from a completely different site. It's something I found, when re-searching another subject relating to Shaw Brothers. We have obtained a lot of information so far, and plan to get hold of as much as we can. It's been a big learning curve for me, in terms of finding out more about the man behind the screen myth. This documentary is far from finished just yet.

@One Armed Boxer, too right, along with a long list of other Yang Sze related questions. Maybe I already asked him, and wanted to see what people had to say on the forums too?. To get more opinions or viewpoints on the question. Sometime's even the actors themselves cant recall every exact detial of their life's. Just how many of us have total recall, in regards to past events in our life. Maybe only Savant's, could have such a gifted memory?.

Sometime's it good to ask fans here on the forum. we have a lot helpful experts here, who have been a big help to me. Fan's that have been amassing knowledge, since before I was even born in some cases. Like @TibetanWhiteCrane said, you have to broaden your research scope, to beyond just one site or person. The internet might be a great source of film information or mis-information at time. Yet there's little info in regards to many Asian stars and their movies. Meaning research offline is more of a thing.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

DragonClaws

The Heroic Ones ‘13太保‘ is a 1970 Hong Kong Shaw Brothers Studio martial arts film directed by Chang Cheh. It was originally released on 14 August 1970 in Hong Kong and was one of the top grossing Hong Kong films between the years of 1970 and 1972. - David Yeung

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Will there ever be an official release of The Gourd Fairy(1973)?, was this ever released on any format after its Theatrical run?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Chu Liu Hsiang

To my knowledge, it has not been officially released on disc and I have not seen an unofficial release anywhere. Maybe it's on the ZII Eagle box? I was looking for the list of "unreleased" movies included in the ZII Eagle but did not find it. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2020 at 6:29 AM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

To my knowledge, it has not been officially released on disc and I have not seen an unofficial release anywhere. Maybe it's on the ZII Eagle box? I was looking for the list of "unreleased" movies included in the ZII Eagle but did not find it. 

Thank you @Chu Liu Hsiang.

Of Mr Yeungs 18 Shaw Brothers movie appearances, which one's do fans/experts feel deserve the most attention?. I know King Boxer(1972) The Wondering Swordsman(1970) and The Heroic Ones(1970) must be high-lighted. Along with his final movie for the studio, The Boxers Omen(1983).

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Are there any Shaw Brother's fan's, who would like to learn more about any of Bolo' Yeung's 18-Shaw Brothers movie appearances?. Do you feel a particular production should be given more attention than the other's?.

Let me know your thoughts, via this thread.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Anyone have more pictures or further information, in regards to The Heroic One's(1970) promotional baskball game?.

In another bit of movie mogul magic, Shaw Brothers had a 'Heroic Ones' basketball game between the Shaws stable of stars involved in Cheh's picture and the camp at TVB several days before the films release.

Source- The Cinema of Excess: Chang Cheh & His Films Part 6

Link- http://www.coolasscinema.com/2011/07/cinema-of-excess-chang-cheh-his-films.html

• Like 2

DragonClaws

I recently watched this Shaw Brothers movie over the weekend, can anyone shine more light on the following information?.

On the film’s HKMDB page, there is a note which states that Southern Screen #145, dated March 1970, reported that Call to Arms was finished in 1970 starring Chang Yi as Zhu Hai, but that the Shaw Brothers refused to release it because Chang Yi had defected to Golden Harvest (apparently Duel for Gold was also re-shot in parts because of Chang Yi). If I didn’t know, it’d be nearly impossible to tell that some of this was shot years earlier — it all seems to match perfectly — but the story definitely suffers from this. Perhaps it was always intended to be a hero-less tale, but these re-shoots are definitely a convincing and plausible reason why Call to Arms doesn’t focus on Zhu Hai as much as it feels like it should.

Source- https://www.silveremulsion.com/2015/07/24/call-to-arms-1973/

image/original 1973 poster - source- https://www.filmfetish.com/ffmkt/call-to-arms-21x30-inch-original-movie-poster-shaw-brothers-1973/

ptr227-call-to-arms-01-825x1100.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

I havent had the chance to view Trilogy of Swordsmenship(1972), so I've got another queston for everyone here. Did Bolo Yeung play both a hero and villian, like he's credited as doing on the HKMDB page?. The following review suggest's he was only in the finale?. I've read a number of other write-up's/reviews, and none of them talk about his duel role in this production.

This leads to many comical situations to balance the wuxia violence, and it results in a very pleasing bite-sized film. Yueh Hua and Shih Szu also have a fantastic spear battle, and Bolo Yueng pops up at the end with a rare full head of hair. Pure entertainment, if a bit light.

Source- https://www.silveremulsion.com/2013/12/27/trilogy-of-swordsmanship-1972/

Bolo-Yeung917.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1