Rurouni Kenshin 2 Final Movies (2020)

whitesnake

@AlbertV You beat me to it. Excellent and highly recommended featurette. Man I totally forgot about this franchise. To say I'm super stoked about this last installment is an understatement. I have to watch this asap.

• Like 3

Well, I watched Rurouni Kenshin: The Final on Netflix last night and it was definitely worth the 2 hours and 20 minutes. Takeru Satoh once again shines as Kenshin Himura, but Mackenyu Arata was the scene stealer as villain Enishi Yukihiro. The flashbacks which reveal Kenshin's backstory with Tomoe are just a glimpse of what we will see in Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning (unless you're in Japan because that's out now there). Once again, Kenji Tanigaki's choreography is amazing and there are some nice little twists within the final hour of the film, which sets up a lengthy all out fight between Kenshin and his friends, Enishi's henchmen, and the whole Shanghai mafia! I kept yelling out "Holy s**t!" during key impact shots during this big action sequence. Even the slow motion was done correctly and fits at the right moments.

It's on Netflix and I feel like this franchise is the gold-standard for live action manga and anime adaptations. One of my favorite films of 2021.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

Drunken Monk

I watched this last week and have no clue as to why I didn’t post about it on here.

This film is fantastic. It’s a more mature outing than the previous three. Darker too. It gives us a whole lot of story while providing the requisite action beats here and there. I admit I was a little disappointed with the early action as I feel like it lacks focus and zeroed in on too many people at once. It felt very brawl-like. But that was my fault. I had formulated expectations and the film didn’t deserve my chagrin.

The final battle may be the single greatest sword fight in cinematic history. Not just because of the choreography but because of the emotion and drama. It’s phenomenal.

I’d have been happy if the series ended there. I don’t think we need another film and I’m not sure I want one. It ended perfectly. But hey, if the next one is this good, I’ll take it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I watched this last week and have no clue as to why I didn’t post about it on here.

This film is fantastic. It’s a more mature outing than the previous three. Darker too. It gives us a whole lot of story while providing the requisite action beats here and there. I admit I was a little disappointed with the early action as I feel like it lacks focus and zeroed in on too many people at once. It felt very brawl-like. But that was my fault. I had formulated expectations and the film didn’t deserve my chagrin.

The final battle may be the single greatest sword fight in cinematic history. Not just because of the choreography but because of the emotion and drama. It’s phenomenal.

I’d have been happy if the series ended there. I don’t think we need another film and I’m not sure I want one. It ended perfectly. But hey, if the next one is this good, I’ll take it.

The flashbacks in The Final are just glimpses of what we'll see in the finale, which is the prequel The Beginning. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
10 hours ago, AlbertV said:

The flashbacks in The Final are just glimpses of what we'll see in the finale, which is the prequel The Beginning. 

Yeah, but I kind of felt like the flashbacks were enough. I’m intrigued to see where it all started though.

• Like 3

I loved this movie! Looking forward for the next one. I hope there were more japanese martial arts movies like this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Watched THE FINAL on Netflix last night and it is superb. Anime News Network already gave a great review to THE BEGINNING so I am stoked:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/rurouni-kenshin/the-beginning/live-action-film/.173719

Hope it hits Netflix sooner than later.

They don't have it on Netflix by you? It is on Netflix in the US. :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

They don't have it on Netflix by you? It is on Netflix in the US. :)

THE BEGINNING is not on Netflix in the US (yet), THE FINAL is.

• Like 2

Just now, Ronin said:

THE BEGINNING is not on Netflix in the US (yet), THE FINAL is.

Oh my bad...I read that wrong....yeah, I am looking forward to THE BEGINNING as well. 

• Like 3

I’ve read more than one review, where they say “the beginning” is hands down the best film of the 5 total.. can’t wait! I almost got VPN just to log into the Japanese Netflix and watch it lol 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 4:43 AM, BLfan said:

The Beginning is listed in Netflix UK as being released 30th July if you do a search.

It will hit Netflix US on that day! OMG I can't wait!

• Like 2

I just watched Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning and OMG, I know it's a prequel, but this franchise ends on the highest note IMO. It is more than just the story of Kenshin, with a brief flashback of his actual beginning as the Battosai. The heart of the film is the tragic love story between Kenshin and Tomoe, played excellently by Kasumi Arimura. Once again, Kenji Tanigaki's action scenes are so awesome to watch, especially the snow-capped battle in the forest towards the finale. IMO, when it comes to live action adaptations of manga and anime, this is definitely the gold standard...and I mean the whole franchise. 

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I watched Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning a few minutes ago and…wow. This is the most mature Kenshin film to date and completely different to the rest of the series. In fact, I wouldn’t even call this a martial arts or swordplay movie. It’s a romance film with a few fights here and there. Because of that, it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. I loved it though. It’s a tragically beautiful and beautifully tragic end to the series.

• Like 4

On 7/31/2021 at 12:44 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I watched Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning a few minutes ago and…wow. This is the most mature Kenshin film to date and completely different to the rest of the series. In fact, I wouldn’t even call this a martial arts or swordplay movie. It’s a romance film with a few fights here and there. Because of that, it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. I loved it though. It’s a tragically beautiful and beautifully tragic end to the series.

I couldn't have said it better. This is definitely the "gold standard" of live-action anime/manga adaptations. ONE OK ROCK's song is the perfect fit for the movie too, "Broken Heart of Gold". 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, KCN9NE said:

Will these be released on blu ray? Or is this now a “Netflix” movie

Netflix studios didn't produce the film so I hope they'll make their way to Blu Ray at some point.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 4:08 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Netflix studios didn't produce the film so I hope they'll make their way to Blu Ray at some point.

Since they released the trilogy, my guess is Funimation will probably release the two films on Blu-Ray

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 8/4/2021 at 3:10 AM, KCN9NE said:

Will these be released on blu ray?

‘Rurouni Kenshin: The Final’ hits Japanese Blu-ray on October 13th, no English subtitles though.

• Like 2