Marvel's Eternals (2021) - Angelina Jolie, Kumail Nanjiani, Don Lee, Richard Madden, Kit Harington

AlbertV

1 hour ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

The Eternals (2021: Chloé Zhao): the good news is that I am caught up on all MCU films.  The bad news is this.  Previously my least favorite MCU film was Captain Marvel with irritated me with several of the performances and lackluster plot.  This is worse.

My brother-in-law has had Marvel fatigue for some time now, but he has soldiered on through most of them. He watched this on Disney+ and was positively frothing at the mouth by the end. He loathed it.

I myself am not caught up: I still need to watch Black Widow; Shang Chi; The Eternals; Multiverse of Madness; and Love and Thunder.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
8 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

My brother-in-law has had Marvel fatigue for some time now, but he has soldiered on through most of them. He watched this on Disney+ and was positively frothing at the mouth by the end. He loathed it.

I myself am not caught up: I still need to watch Black Widow; Shang Chi; The Eternals; Multiverse of Madness; and Love and Thunder.

I think I have Shang Chi as the best of those (though reading all of the original comics did not help me as the film has almost nothing to do with the comics).  I have some writing on MOM, but I haven't posted it yet.  It is so mixed it drove me crazy.

• Like 1

Super Ninja
6 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I think I have Shang Chi as the best of those (though reading all of the original comics did not help me as the film has almost nothing to do with the comics).  I have some writing on MOM, but I haven't posted it yet.  It is so mixed it drove me crazy.

I'd say Shang Chi is way better then the rest of the lot mentioned here, with only Black Widow coming close, for me one of better MCU titles. 

Eternals is one that I've watched just to keep up although I'm sometimes not sure why do I still bother. Don't know if I could count ten truly good MCU movies of all that were made thus far.

Love and Thunder I have yet to see.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
On 7/22/2022 at 11:35 PM, Super Ninja said:

I'd say Shang Chi is way better then the rest of the lot mentioned here, with only Black Widow coming close, for me one of better MCU titles. 

Eternals is one that I've watched just to keep up although I'm sometimes not sure why do I still bother. Don't know if I could count ten truly good MCU movies of all that were made thus far.

Love and Thunder I have yet to see.

I was not overly happy with Black Widow, it is just that the rest seemed to be far worse (I wrote on all of these here in the respective threads).  I just know I would have liked Shang Chi more if I did not read every single comic (the original series): the movie of course is nothing like the comic strips. 

But I also have that feeling that you have "not sure why do I still bother."  The main reason I think is to complete, the other one is to talk about with other people.  Now I really did like No Way Home, which thank goodness surprised me), but most comic book movies well just aren't that good anymore (also does not help that we have seen so many).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I was not overly happy with Black Widow, it is just that the rest seemed to be far worse (I wrote on all of these here in the respective threads).  I just know I would have liked Shang Chi more if I did not read every single comic (the original series): the movie of course is nothing like the comic strips. 

But I also have that feeling that you have "not sure why do I still bother."  The main reason I think is to complete, the other one is to talk about with other people.  Now I really did like No Way Home, which thank goodness surprised me), but most comic book movies well just aren't that good anymore (also does not help that we have seen so many).

I have a film geek friend who says she liked Black Widow, but the story is so women-trafficky that it makes her uncomfortable.

I liked No Way Home a lot and that is the only Phase 4 film I've seen. I'll probably break down and get a bootleg of Shang Chi, because it didn't come out officially here. 

It does feel odd that Phase 4 isn't building up to anything big, like the Avengers movies at the end of the first three phases. I mean, I guess Wakanda Forever will be big, but I'm guessing Jane-Thor, Spider-Man, Shang Chi, and the Eternals won't help stop Sub-Mariner.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I enjoyed Eternals and Black Widow so I've been lucky in that only one recent Marvel film has truly disappointed me: Thor: Love and Thunder

I continue to watch the MCU because I genuinely enjoy at least 80% of their output. I don't consider myself a "super fan" or comic book nerd or anything. I like good movies and so far, they've put out what I'd consider good movies minus a few stumbles along the way.
I'm as frustrated as the next man about Phase 4 feeling disjointed and pointless. But now they've mentioned Kang being the "big bad" going forward, I feel like we'll truly get a solid thread. Something that unites these films in their coherency.
I'm excited for all the upcoming MCU films minus the next Captain America film. I think the character needs to be put to bed and I absolutely HATE that Cap now has wings. It makes no fucking sense.

But everything else I'm onboard for. Minus a few tv shows, too. I won't be watching I am Groot and I found Ms. Marvel to be incredibly dull.

• Like 1