Marvel's Eternals (2021) - Angelina Jolie, Kumail Nanjiani, Don Lee, Richard Madden, Kit Harington

AlbertV

jolie_2.jpgchloe-zhao.jpg?w=780

Angelina Jolie is joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe. She has been cast to star in Eternals, based on the 1976 title created by the legendary Jack Kirby, which got a dusting off in 2000 by Neil Gaiman. Chloe Zhao is directing the film.

The project features the superpowered and near-immortal beings known as Eternals and a more monstrous offshoot known as the Deviants that were created by cosmic beings known as Celestials.

latest?cb=20140217053129

It is believed Jolie will play Sersi, a more outgoing Eternal who has not been afraid to move amongst humankind.

Today, The Hollywood Reporter has said that Kumail Nanjiani may be joining Jolie, but his role is unspecified.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Collider has confirmed - http://collider.com/marvel-the-eternals-ma-dong-seok-cast/ - that Kumail Nanjiani and Ma Dong-seok have both been added to the cast of the The Eternals, but neither's role has been stated yet.  Ma Don-seok (aka Don Lee) stars in Train to Busan 1 and 2, and one of my favorites, The Good the Bad the Weird.  

Dong-seok Ma Picture

• Like 2

MV5BMjU1MjhlOWItNDRjZS00MGJhLTgzYjMtMWE3

The cast, along with director Chloe Zhao, appeared at SDCC and these are the characters they will play:

Angelina Jolie as Thena
Richard Madden as Ikaris
Kumail Nanjiani as Kingo
Ma Dong-Seok (Don Lee) as Gilgamesh
Bryan Tyree Henry as Phastos
Lia McHugh as Sprite
Lauren Ridloff as Makkari
Salma Hayek as Eternals leader Ajak

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Gemma Chan will play Sersi, making her the first actress to play two characters within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Barry Keoghan will play Druig. However, the big surprise has come in the form of Kit Harington, aka Jon Snow of Game of Thrones. He will play Black Knight in the film.

The-Eternals-Cast-Kit-Harington.jpg

• Like 2

Some details on Eternals have been revealed according to Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige on Good Morning America via Dark Horizons

One character (most likely Richard Madden's Ikaris) is confirmed not only to be the first openly gay superhero in the MCU, and the character is said to be happily married with a family. "It's a part of who he is".

Feige has this to say about Kit Harington being cast as Black Knight:
“We were so happy when [Harington] agreed to join. And it is a part that could perhaps grow into something else in the future.”

Bryan Tyree Henry expressed the hope that there could be an Eternals-Avengers team-up down the road:
“Without us, there would be no Avengers. There would be no Guardians of the Galaxy. There would be no galaxy. So you’re welcome, Chris Pratt’s character… we’re gods, if they want to throw down they wouldn’t win. But it’s all good. Not trying to start no beef, no street beef but…” and then co-star Kumail Nanjiani interjected with: “but we would destroy them.”

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

It is official that Brian Tyree Henry's Phastos is LGBTQ with Haaz Sleiman confirming to outlets that he plays the husband of Phastos.

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a30941274/mcu-eternals-gay-superhero-haaz-sleiman-brian-tyree-henry/

Official_Logo_of_Marvel's_Eternals.jpg

The film is coming out on November 6, 2020.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Secret Executioner

Welp, after the black power and female power stuff, it's no surprise they're throwing in a LGBTQ character... What's next ? An X-Men film with Storm as a refugee with subtle nods on US immigration policy like they had in Black Panther ? Surprised the MCU hasn't added her yet, she has been an Avenger and her background really fits their agenda...

Edited by Secret Executioner

1 hour ago, Secret Executioner said:

Welp, after the black power and female power stuff, it's no surprise they're throwing in a LGBTQ character... What's next ? An X-Men film with Storm as a refugee with subtle nods on US immigration policy like they had in Black Panther ? Surprised the MCU hasn't added her yet, she has been an Avenger and her background really fits their agenda...

Are you going to do this on every movie thread?

This is officially Marvel's lowest rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes. Currently 60%. I have tickets for this Sunday and, as a guy who usually likes Marvel films, I'm hoping it's better than some critics have made it out to be. Though I typically ignore reviews anyway.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

This is officially Marvel's lowest rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes. Currently 60%. I have tickets for this Sunday and, as a guy who usually likes Marvel films, I'm hoping it's better than some critics have made it out to be. Though I typically ignore reviews anyway.

Curious to hear your thoughts on this. From the few reviews I've read it's a bit of a snooze fest that follows the Marvel formula to a T.

• Like 3

Put simply, I loved this film. In fact, it would be high on my “Best MCU movies” list. I think it’s got the drama, the emotional weight, the scope, the characters and the fantastic action. I appreciated every minute of its hefty run time.

I can see that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. It doesn’t quite have the fun of, say, a Captain America or Iron Man movie. But, for me, it was a complete package.

It’s also punctuated by a very intriguing post-credits scene.

• Like 4

Majin Android
5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Put simply, I loved this film. In fact, it would be high on my “Best MCU movies” list. I think it’s got the drama, the emotional weight, the scope, the characters and the fantastic action. I appreciated every minute of its hefty run time.

I can see that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. It doesn’t quite have the fun of, say, a Captain America or Iron Man movie. But, for me, it was a complete package.

It’s also punctuated by a very intriguing post-credits scene.

so would you say Marvel tried something different and all those people complaining all Marvel movies are the same are still complaining?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Majin Android said:

so would you say Marvel tried something different and all those people complaining all Marvel movies are the same are still complaining?

Eternals is definitely different but, at times, you can see the Marvel formula poking through. There are still the MacGuffin bad guys that result in the requisite action set pieces but there certainly feels like there is more to this movie. The consequences are on a far grander scale and there is much more conflict between the lead characters. It's less a case of "Avengers assemble," that's for sure.

I think those fans of the Marvel formula will get a lot out of it but I think those that appreciate more nuanced film making will enjoy it too. Of course, I seem to have already been proven wrong since so many people have reacted negatively toward it.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

As a hater of modern MCU I really liked this movie. Went in thinking it looked more DC than Marvel and left feeling the same way. So glad this film strays away from the typical modern mcu formula. The humor isnt the same obnoxious in your face stuff your used to in those.

The tail end if this year has given me a great streak of movies. Blu ray purchase worthy imo.

Really appreciated the philosophical dilemmas presented and cosmic elements. After no silver surfer or galactus in the modern mcu its really badass for me to see a celestial, and done incredibly well at that. The movie is very stark and grey (aside from the one very tasteful bollywood sequence, really reminded me of my love for those bollywood music, choreo, and visuals). Down to the suits they wear being neutral and entirely separate from their funky comic book references. 

• Like 3

On 2/27/2020 at 5:00 PM, Secret Executioner said:

This is surely a great example of overly forced diversity but somehow its not as in your face as youd imagine. It really doesnt detract from the movie like it typically would in a big blockbuster flick.

The characters are only loosely based on the actual comic characters, coming more as inspired-by lightly referenced from. Which makes the comic and the movie completely separate things, which is fine. I mean they were able to completely redo the story of the avengers infinity stone by completely omitting many aspects and characters like silver surfer and galactus.  

The diversity here is also much more fitting as the movie is more all-encompassing moving periodically from culture to different culture and in different points in time. 

• Like 2

I definitely understand the negative reviews or why so many would dislike this movie. I think its just a matter of whether it works for you or not. If your into the story, and are fine with such a neutral colored movie then youll enjoy it. If your able to sit through period flicks then youll be able to tolerate this, not that its like that, but certainly more subtle than most MCU movies. Compared to actual period epics, the period sequences in this are adhd, no comparison. 

Youve really gotta be into cosmic marvel and all the creationism that comes with it. As well as other philosophical pondering. Theres not actually any clear bad guys in this. Suppose its up to you to decide, or wonder rather, whos choosing whats most congruent. Even being athiest, or spiritual, aids in this kind of engagement. However one character truly does do some evil by siding with the proposed “bad guy” if there is one. And is forgiven and granted a transformation by the same woman she was going to destroy. Big cinema sin there, not only is that character incredibly more unlikable from this, none of the heroes are particularly likable in this movie imo. They strangely even make the guy who wants to help humans the most the most unlikable and narcissistic for some reason.

But for me the purpose of the movie isnt necessarily the character attributes, moreso what theyre all set out to do, and what theyve become on their own as well as when they band together, but above that the philosophy and creationism of it all. 

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

The Eternals (2021: Chloé Zhao): the good news is that I am caught up on all MCU films.  The bad news is this.  Previously my least favorite MCU film was Captain Marvel with irritated me with several of the performances and lackluster plot.  This is worse.  The incompetence here is mindboggling.  MCU films had been going down for quite a while and well I am actually glad I missed this in the theater.  This makes me appreciate Love and Thunder more.  This makes me appreciate time away from this film more.

I am not even going to go over the plot except for The Blues Brothers aspect to it: well both “We’re on a mission from God” and “We got to get the band together again.”

Some of the acting, well almost all of it is atrocious. It is like take your pick of who is worse.  Better question: Does anyone stand out?  Ma Dong-seok is not bad.  CGI?  No, that could have been better. 

Here’s an easy plot issue. Say your together for 5000 years and yet you start dating at 575 BC.  Argh!   OK, you get upset about the atomic bomb but do not pay attention to the millions dead because of starvation due to Communism.  The humor is bad.  You also feel you are being preached at by someone who has no idea what they are talking about. Is Kumail Nanjiani funny, grating, annoying, whimsical or all of the above?

Also, the size of this Celestial through most shots would not actually make it as big as they said it would (like Godzilla size may vary during scenes).

What makes a bad film worse – being long.  Maybe I’ll rewatch Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever.

• Like 1