Shock Wave 2 (2019) - Andy Lau, Sean Lau, Ni Ni, Tse Kwan-Ho

whitesnake

Andy Lau stars in and Herman Yau directs Shock Wave 2.  "The sequel, which features completely new characters in a related story, revolves around a bomb disposal officer who is injured in a blast and then named as a suspect in a terrorist bombing."  Story at https://www.screendaily.com/features/afm-2018-the-buzz-titles-from-hong-kong-and-china/5134200.article (but I used up my month's worth of articles) and at http://cityonfire.com/andy-lau-and-herman-yau-return-for-shock-wave-2-ii-sequel/

• Like 2

b77b9040eb9e37030166c1094fbd7d47.jpg

0329-00282-016b4.jpg

Andy Lau and Herman Yau are back as production is set to begin on Shock Wave 2. Joining the actor-director duo are Sean Lau (who reunites with Lau after 17 years - the two worked together on mahjong comedy Fat Choi Spirit), Ni Ni, Philip Keung, Tse Kwan Ho, Philip Keung, Kenny Wong, Ron Ng and Zhang Yang.

The two Laus (no relation) play bomb disposal officers from different teams within the HKPD. Tse Kwan-Ho, sporting the white hair, will play the film's villain this time around.

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2019/03/20190329-sean-lau-and-andy-lau-feel.html

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Shock Wave 2 "is a thematic sequel in-title-only to... Shock Wave, featuring a new storyline and characters... [Shock Wave 2] is set for theatrical release in the spring of 2020... Andy Lau [plays] Poon Sing-fung, a former bomb disposal officer of the Explosive Ordinance Disposal Bureau (EOD) who becomes a top suspect of a terrorist attack after falling unconscious from an explosion.  Sean Lau [is] Tung Cheuk-man, a bomb disposal officer of the EOD and Poon's comrade in arms who assists his friend to prove the latter's innocence."  From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_Wave_2

• Like 3

This starts out with one hell of a bang... Holy sh*t! From there it's just one thrill after another. The action is plentiful with explosions, roof top chases, hand to hand combat, gunfights. It's pretty much what you'd love to see from this sort of movie. Unfortunately everything takes a rather abrupt halt in the second half. Also the movie never really recovers from it. Even though they're going for a grand dramatic finale. I can see that they wanted to spend some time on the story in the second half. Truth be told it's anything but convincing and just ludicrous. With too much back and forth and (supposed) twists here and there. Also the main villain is a bit too comical for an otherwise serious movie. Guy looks like an asian Colonel Sanders. It's a crying shame the movie can't keep the thrills and excitement of the first half. Especially Andy (or probably his stuntman) moves like a cheetah; which is a blast to watch. You'll know why. Which is kind of unique as far as the action goes. Nevertheless anything but a recommendation would be a real crime. Just lower your expectations as the movie progresses. I know hard to do.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 5

I gave this a watch over the weekend.

Yep as @laagi said the 1st half is one hell of a ride., the 2nd half just couldn't recover.

3 things that I didn't like with the movie

1.  They never "expanded" on the other members of Vendetta.

2. There is no chemistry between Andy Lau and Ni Ni. There are both great/good in their roles but no chemistry as a couple.

3. Major spoiler - DO NOT READ if you do not want to know ahead of time.

Spoiler

How are we to believe that a heroic person who have devoted his whole life to protecting the public suddenly joins a terrorist organization and about to kill hundreds of thousands of people just because he is regulated to a desk job.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:26 PM, laagi said:

Also the main villain is a bit too comical for an otherwise serious movie.

I don't recall ever seeing Tse Kwan-Ho in an action movie, this may be the first. I have seen him in many dramatic roles (and TV) which he was good in but not action.

• Like 5

I've become a pretty big fan of Andy Lau. Everything I've seen him in has been really good. So I will defiantly be checking this movie series out, 

• Like 3

totally agree with laagi and thekfc

The first half was a blast, a real throwback to the golden era..The second half just lost its drive, instead relying on special effects

I really enjoyed the movie at first, but at the end felt disappointed

• Like 5

My 4K UHD just arrived from buyoyo over the weekend. Going to give it a go tonight. I really enjoyed the first one even though I know this is a sequel in name only.

• Like 2

I blind-bought the movie because Lau Ching-Wan is in it, so I had zero expectations whatsoever coming into the hype (other than being a movie about bombers). I ended being glued and entertained throughout thanks to the thrilling and emotionally grabbing story and characters. From beginning to end was a story filled with good necessary build-up and a good conclusion, acting, great action scenes (guns, empty-handed) -- minus the usual CGI-infested scenes that have since the mid 2000s become a norm in grand-scale (and even small-scale) Hong Kong action movies nowadays -- and with slick and tight direction by Herman Yau. Lau Ching-Wan is great (as always) and has some memorable scenes, and as does Philip Keung as the terrorist-hunting cop, but this all Andy Lau's movie in most (if not all) aspects. Good thing the movie is a separate story to the original because that's the movie I'm planning to watch next.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2