IMDB release dates for Taiwanese Movies

Markgway

Does anyone know where the IMDB gets their release date info for Taiwanese movies? 

I'm not aware of there being any database that gives specific info on dates

(except the HKFA, which has some but nowhere near as many as the IMDB). 

Eg. A Book of Heroes. 

The IMDB lists the TW release date as July 12th, 1986. 

But I can't find any source for this.

(It wasn't released theatrically in Hong Kong). 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Yukabacera said:

I don't know where they get them in general, but that specific date comes from here: http://suling213.blogspot.com/2013/07/1986.html

Thanks for the link. 

I also spy a clipping for ABRACADABRA credited to June 28th, which backs up the IMDB's date. 

Would be great if materials such as these were combined into an HKMDB-like website. 

56 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Did you try dianying database ? Maybe it's from there that they get their informations.

Couldn't find it at Dianying. 

How reliable is their info? 

A lot of sites just crib from the IMDB. 

4 minutes ago, Markgway said:

Couldn't find it at Dianying. 

How reliable is their info? 

A lot of sites just crib from the IMDB. 

Well, I don't know how relieable it is, but it happened in the past that I found informations on a few movies on dianying that weren't in hkmdb nor in hkcinemagic. I don't have any title in mind at this moment, sorry.

dianying.com is alright. I would say that although they're quite lacking in details and particulars on each movie, their coverage is wider as they include many Taiwanese movies not in the HKMDB. I'm not sure if they even have precise release dates, though (at least, I've never seen any). I don't think it's actively maintained, either.

23 hours ago, Markgway said:

Would be great if materials such as these were combined into an HKMDB-like website.

I agree. I have lots of information I could contribute to such a database if it existed and would love to do so...

Killer Meteor

A lot of Taiwanese indies don't seem to have HK release dates recorded on HKFA or HKMDB, so trying to figure out their vintage sometimes is quite hard.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:34 AM, Killer Meteor said:

A lot of Taiwanese indies don't seem to have HK release dates recorded on HKFA or HKMDB, so trying to figure out their vintage sometimes is quite hard.

Yeah, I thought 1987 was a bit early for this one, but that's the date given... 

Which is why I'd like to see/find a more reliable source. 

I find the 1987 release date extremely unlikely, as both songs on the film's soundtrack were released in January 1990.

Archived