Raging Fire (2021) - Donnie Yen, Nicholas Tse

mark187

Majin Android

Enjoyed it. One action scene I kinda hated. One funny part was the bad guys doing 3 off screen disguise changes in less than 2 minutes. All matching outfits, um like a boy band or something haha.

Edited by Majin Android
misspelling
  • Like 4

Release date for Raging Fire Blu-ray and DVD in the US from Well Go USA is now November 23, 2021.  Running time 126 minutes.  Info at https://www.rightstufanime.com/Raging-Fire-Blu-ray

• Like 4

Looks like fortune smiles upon me (for once). They'll have a special screening of Raging Fire as part of a local film festival! 

Only downside we have a COVID-certificate obligation in place. No swap, no watch :laluot_10:

• Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker
50 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

Release date for Raging Fire Blu-ray and DVD in the US from Well Go USA is now November 23, 2021.  Running time 126 minutes.  Info at https://www.rightstufanime.com/Raging-Fire-Blu-ray

Thank you! Instant purchase for me 

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
12 hours ago, laagi said:

Looks like fortune smiles upon me (for once). They'll have a special screening of Raging Fire as part of a local film festival! 

Only downside we have a COVID-certificate obligation in place. No swap, no watch :laluot_10:

where abouts?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Lucky You!

I was hoping the annual london film festival (BFI) would have picked this up? Oh well..

Surprised to hear this hasn't hit the UK market yet. Hoping you'll get the chance to see it on the big screen. I feel very lucky :) 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

15 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Lucky You!

I was hoping the annual london film festival (BFI) would have picked this up? Oh well..

You would of thought so missed oppurtunity

• Like 3

thundered mantis
On 9/10/2021 at 5:51 PM, whitesnake said:

No UHD release for this one? I´d hate to doudle dip...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Looks like your prayers have been answered. I'm shit out of luck. Got my tickets the other day, only to find out two days later that I got the fu**ing 'Rona. Which means I'm under house arrest indefinitely. I'm so sick tired of this shit!

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

sifu iron perm
6 hours ago, laagi said:

Looks like your prayers have been answered. I'm shit out of luck. Got my tickets the other day, only to find out two days later that I got the fu**ing 'Rona. Which means I'm under house arrest indefinitely. I'm so sick tired of this shit!

That's fucked up!! Hope you recover quick!! 

• Like 4

On 9/16/2021 at 3:18 AM, laagi said:

All the best with your recovery @laagi.

• Like 6

Appreciate it guys :yociexp85: After two weeks under house arrest I'm on the road to recovery. The worst (hopefully) is over and I can return to life next week.

I urge all of you (who can) to get vaccinated; protect yourself and the ones you love! Just my two cents.

Oh yeah, I didn't get to watch the movie of course. F*ck 'Rona!

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I watched this this morning and well…it’s good. It’s not great and it’s certainly not a classic but it is a good movie.

Benny Chan makes sure the film is colorful, vibrant and well shot. The direction, in my opinion, is pretty fantastic. I’m glad he went out with well made movie. The flaws in this movies aren’t Chan’s fault. The primary flaw is that this is one overlong film. It could have been a tight little action movie but instead it’s a flabby action thriller. Honestly, they could have trimmed a good thirty minutes off. All the dramatic scenes are so long.

Everyone’s performances are great but it’s obvious that this film is filled with overacting. Everyone is going 110% and at times it feels a little too much. It didn’t really bother me though because the film is more of a light hearted affair than the more gritty Flashpoint and Sha Po Lang.

So why about the action? The good thing is that there is massive variety on display. Hand to hand, weapon to weapon, gun play, extreme stunts, car chases, motorbike chases. It’s all here and it’s all fun to watch. My main issue is that there is a lack of actual martial arts and when the martial arts does roll around, it’s painfully brief. Even the climax between Yen and Tse feels about five minutes long…if that. Also, Donnie leans way too much towards scrappiness in this film. There are little to no flashy exchanges. Rather, just people windmilling punches at each other, a few kicks and then lots of holds/throws. It feels sloppier than the aforementioned Sha Po Lang and Flashpoint. I was left wanting more. Much more, if I’m honest. But I’m thinking some people may love this kind of stuff so don’t take my word on the action. Definitely view it for yourself.

The CGI, while awful in places, didn’t bother me at all. I know it’ll upset some.

All in all, a fine film. Less drama and more/longer action sequences would have been preferred.

• Like 4

sifu iron perm

I loved it. Super gala at leciester Square London! 

Had a finesse time and reunited with a few Hardcore Fu Fans. Damn the final fight was classic Donnie. 

IMG_20211021_192255_130.jpg

IMG_20211021_194156.jpg

IMG_20211021_192255_118.jpg

Screenshot_20211021_144745.jpg

IMG_20211021_180153.jpg

IMG_20211021_192255_053.jpg

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 7

Very conventional story, which does not try to bring any new elements into the profiles of the protagonists. clearly they are not films that are seen for this reason. the attack in the slum and the finale are the best moments. The final one is not up to Flashpoint but it is still very enjoyable. Too bad that action scene in the middle with CGI and the incredibly absurd rescue of the little girl, the Chinese are crazy about these rescue sequences. Always great Donnie.

• Like 4

@sifu iron perm I'm beyond jealous that you got to see this on the big screen! Are you planning on watching anything else? Hand Rolled Cigarette as well as Spiritwalker seems like a nobrainer for any fan of asian cinema. Also they showed Limbo!

After all my personal back and forth I reluctantly had to settle for a home viewing thru streaming. I can't stress enough that if you have a chance go watch this in cinema! The sheer scope and production value alone are worth it.

From the get go I kind of spoiled this one for myself to be honest. Nevertheless I really enjoyed it! It's easily one of the best modern action movies out of Hong Kong in recent times. I couldn't help but wonder how long it will take until we get the chance to watch something similar again. A worthy farewell to Benny Chan and his work. Also a testimony once and for all that Donnie Yen delivers some of the best on screen action!

The movie is pretty damn violent! Giving you what any action fan desires. Shootouts, car chases, hand to hand combat, explosions, gruesome deaths. It's all here and more importantly in a good amount. I always admired HK action movies for their increase of intensity (violence). The finale is suppose to give you this last "kick" and Raging Fire certainly delivers.

The cinemaography as well as sound design wrap everything up tightly to make it a complete package. The movie goes from bright neon-lit images to green grain for the more visceral scenes.

As @One Armed Boxer mentioned in his review some of the action set pieces are reminiscent of things we've seen before. The back alley brawl with its rawness seeing our protagonist and his unit trying to survive an angry mob. The final shootout with automatic weapons on a crowded street. Or last but not least the throwdown between Yen and Tse which reminded me a bit of re:born or hydra with their speed and ferocity. If there's one thing you can hold against the movie it doesn't bring anything fresh to the table.

Another minor complaint I have is that at times it did drag quite a bit. Maybe a few more trims here and there would have benefited an overall better flow. Also the CGI did vary in quality which is a bit of a shame.

Yen and Tse both did great with their respective performances. Especially Tse's character with his insatiable desire of revenge, no matter the cost.

Overall, I highly recommend any fan of modern action to seek this out as soon as possible.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm

@laagi Hi, both rolling cigarette and spirit walker have sold out.

But I saw a moment of romance on Sunday, first time viewing it. Classic. As for raging fire, I really enjoyed it, the violence and fight scenes, watching a modern day Hong Kong action thriller on the big screen is a rare and worth it occasion!! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

@laagi Hi, both rolling cigarette and spirit walker have sold out.

But I saw a moment of romance on Sunday, first time viewing it. Classic. As for raging fire, I really enjoyed it, the violence and fight scenes, watching a modern day Hong Kong action thriller on the big screen is a rare and worth it occasion!! 

That's great to see. At least the UK seems to have some love for asian cinema!

Those titles have been among my must watch of 2021. So far I only had a chance to see Limbo and Raging Fire both in less than an ideal ways. Some day I'll watch an asian movie on the big screen hopefully.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1