Raging Fire (2021) - Donnie Yen, Nicholas Tse

mark187

I read another very positive review plus heard about an upcoming review that will also give it high marks! I really haven’t been this excited for a film in a long time and doubt it’s likely to happen very often again with the way the HK film industry is headed

• Like 4

I found a cam of the movie in decent quality and watched all the action scenes...

I don't want to spoil or reveal too much of everything but I have to say this: The movie contains the most brutal fight scenes performed and staged by Donnie in YEARS, arguably since Flash Point. And it also has something I crave for in action movies nowadays: Variety. Empty-handed fights, weapon-wielded fights, firearms, vehicle stunts, humane stunts, explosions, building destruction; All meticulously yet painfully executed. There's CGI for objects and background involved (as seen in the making-of videos) so one might get turned off as a result. However I can assure you that it's minimal as Benny, Donnie and his stunt team's main goal was to aim for realism and practicality for the action choreography.

Talking about the fight scenes... Once again, all of it is great stuff by Donnie and company. Donnie truly is one action director that understands action in correlation to how the plot of a movie sets everything up... How to create and bring an approach of action choreography and make it fit so good based on particular stories. Whether it be comedy-based (Enter the Fat Dragon), fantasy-based (The Monkey King), or reality-based (Donnie's contemporary action movies). In Donnie's classic 80s/90s moderns, it was all fanciness while injecting real-life fighting techniques. In his 2000s and 2010s output, it was more brawly/gritty/ground-fighting mixed with flashiness. This time around, Donnie takes it further by making the fighting scenes very brutal adding viscerality through military combat/law enforcement-based details, and featuring less of his trademark groundwork and the classical rapid-paced exchanges compared to what he's been doing before. The outcome: It's fresh and interesting. This is yet another movie with action scenes that succeeds as far as expectations and legacy goes.

Donnie is as marvelous and boundary-pushing as always, and it seems like he hasn't slowed down one bit despite his current age. He's 58 years old... That fact alone should tell you how determined and passionate he is with action movie-making and that his attitude toward action performing to the max is a rarity today as well as unreal and incredible. That said, I also have to hand it to Nicholas Tse. The guy is usually not regarded as an exceptional action performer, at least not in the same level as the action veterans. And having worked with Donnie before on Dragon Tiger Gate (showy, flashy, cool in style), one might get the same vibes off that movie when imagining what he offers here. This movie destroys that image by portraying his character as a mysterious, dangerous foe opposite Donnie's and comes off really unpredictable. Like seeing Batman confront Joker in The Dark Knight. Tse has never looked this good before, and I doubt he's going to top his action performance anytime soon with future roles. And hats off to everyone else involved in the action scenes!

Looking forward to see the whole movie!

Edited by DiP
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DiP said:

I found a cam of the movie in decent quality and watched all the action scenes...

I don't want to spoil or reveal too much of everything but but I gotta say this: This movie contains the most brutal action scenes performed and staged by Donnie in YEARS, arguably since Flash Point. And it also has something I crave for in action movies nowadays: Variety. Empty-handed fights, weapon-wielded fights, firearms, vehicle stunts, humane stunts, explosions, building destruction; All meticulously yet painfully executed. There's CGI for objects and background involved (as seen in the making-of videos) so one might get turned off as a result, but I can assure you that it's minimal as Benny, Donnie and his team's main goal was to aim for realism and practicality for the action choreography.

As for the fight scenes... Once again, great stuff by Donnie and company. Donnie truly is one action director that understands how to come up with an approach of action choreography and make it fit so good based on particular stories. Whether it be comedy-based (Enter the Fat Dragon), fantasy-based (The Monkey King), or reality-based (Donnie's contemporary action movies). In Donnie's classic 80s/90s moderns, it was all fanciness while injecting real-life fighting techniques. In his 2005-2018 output, it was more brawly/grittiness/ground-fighting mixed with flashiness. This time, Donnie takes it further by making the fighting very brutal adding viscerality through military combat/law enforcement-based details, and featuring less of his trademark groundwork and the classical rapid-paced exchanges compared to what he's been doing before. The outcome: Fresh and interesting. My hats off to everyone involved in the action scenes! This is yet another movie with action that succeeds as far as expectations and legacy goes.

Looking forward to see the whole movie!

That sounds like a perfect summary of Donnie Yen's progressive evolution in terms of action choreography. Now I'm super excited to watch this! I wished more of the old guard would try such an approach. I feel nowadays it's especially Yen that does the heavy lifting here. Think he'll also be a great addition to future productions and talent once he retires in front of the camera. At least here's hoping he'll stick around for a few more years! 

• Like 3

Donnie would definitely do well behind the scenes after he retires from acting. I've said this a few times before but I think Donnie would make a good director, as shown in his directorial efforts in the late 90s. That being said, Donnie himself stated that he will continue doing action movies for as long as his body can take it. I'd say he's got a good 7 years left before his tank is emptied.

Something else I want to point out: The version I saw was the China version. For some reason, the action scenes at times felt inconsistent in pacing, as if some moments during the scenes were cut out. Mainland China have always been intolerant towards onscreen violence, and since the movie is so violent I suspect that cuts must've been made deliberately for the China market. If that's the case then that begs the questions: What was cut out, and does these cuts apply ONLY to Mainland China or in GENERAL? Hong Kong's new censorship better stay away from this case.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

One Armed Boxer

My review is up over at COF. Is 'Raging Fire' the saviour of Hong Kong action cinema? Of course not. I like Benny Chan as a director, but for me his last good movie was 'Connected' in 2008, and since then his movies have suffered from increasingly bloated runtimes and ropey CGI. He'll be missed for sure, but anybody expecting 'Raging Fire' to hark back to his 90's and 00's heyday will be disappointed. Does the presence of Donnie Yen mean that it still ends up being a good time at the movies though? I'll leave that to my review - 

https://cityonfire.com/raging-fire-2021-review-benny-chan-donnie-yen/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

My review is up over at COF. Is 'Raging Fire' the saviour of Hong Kong action cinema? Of course not. I like Benny Chan as a director, but for me his last good movie was 'Connected' in 2008, and since then his movies have suffered from increasingly bloated runtimes and ropey CGI. He'll be missed for sure, but anybody expecting 'Raging Fire' to hark back to his 90's and 00's heyday will be disappointed. Does the presence of Donnie Yen mean that it still ends up being a good time at the movies though? I'll leave that to my review - 

I don't know why, but I had all these fears. I trust this review a lot and was expecting these rhythm issues, outdated CGI (a Benny vice for many years), interesting action only at certain times and conventional at other times. I suspected there were more gunfights than fist fights (unfortunately) and I believe that I will have to endure for over two hours at the plot and stereotypes seen many times and enjoy the final fight that predictably will not be of the quality of Flashpoint but, rightly, one different thing.

thank you for your opinion always lucid and devoid of fanaticism.

• Like 3

Opinions are just opinions so there's no need to take others' opinions for granted. We all have our own criteria of satisfaction. Acknowledging something through others is good. But in the end, its' up to yourself to experience something and build your own thoughts. I don't listen to reviews or critics anymore despite me posting reviews on here. I just do it for the sake of being informed. :tongueout

Edited by DiP
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

The Office Reaction GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, DiP said:

Opinions are just opinions so there's no need to take others' opinions for granted. We all have our own criteria of satisfaction. Acknowledging something through others is good. But in the end, its' up to yourself to experience something and build your own thoughts. I don't listen to reviews or critics anymore despite me posting reviews on here. I just do it for the sake of being informed. :tongueout

Completely agree, I rarely let reviews put me off seeing a movie, and certainly wouldn't expect anyone to decide against checking one out based on my own opinion (which is exactly what it is - an opinion!). With that being said, I still stand by my initial comment from 8 years ago :tongueout -

• Like 4

odioustrident

Saw this in theater last night. The film itself was corny fun with some unintentional comedy. Almost everyone is overacting. Some of the sets were fantastic and lit like a Bava movie. I think Kenji Tanigaki is more creative than most people working in the business right now but he did not seem to have as much input here? That is just a first impression. It seems like you can see some of his thought process in the bike vs. car scene? This bit has the most original action content in the movie but too much CGI and one implausible choice. The finale is very well done technically but didn't feel fresh. I still really enjoyed Donnie and Tse's screen fighting across the whole film. The Ben Lam sequence was fun but doesn't end in a proper comparison of his and Donnie's skills despite Lam showing he still has it. Comparing these films to Flashpoint and Special ID isn't fair because those two really captured a certain magic that seems hard to replicate with your typical production schedules today.

• Like 6

On 8/10/2021 at 5:25 PM, odioustrident said:

I think Kenji Tanigaki is more creative than most people working in the business right now but he did not seem to have as much input here? That is just a first impression.

That's because there were other people involved with the action. Donnie may have not been credited --- last credited work as action director was Kung Fu Jungle... Maybe it's a respect thing he has for his team --- but I can tell he was responsible for the mere action direction, at least in the fighting department. Camerawork, fight choreography along with input from his team members; post-production. Kenji, Chris Collins, Ku Huen-Chu (Woo Ping's former action choreographer), Yu Kang (Donnie Yen stuntman-turned-actor) also had input on the action.

• Like 2

eledoremassis02

Was looking forward to this being my return to theatres but not one theatre in my state is has showtimes :/ gonna renew my Hi-Ya Subscription 

• Like 2

Anyone heard anything about a directors cut? On Instagram yesterday there was a post on Bullet Films Official page that said something about a directors cut. This wasn’t clear though so any further info would be great, thanks!

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, mark187 said:

Anyone heard anything about a directors cut?

That would be a rather tricky proposition for obvious reasons....

• Like 2

Right, I was confused about the wording on that post, but I figured there was a slight possibility of there being a longer cut on home video like Rob-b-Hood had. I know Benny had handed over some post production duties to Kenji Tanigaki I believe so I’m sure the likelihood of such a cut is at the bare minimum. 

• Like 3

I don't see a HK movie that is over 120 min to out in a longer cut, unless it's less than 180 min. But we'll see when the movie hits on bluray. The copy I watched was the China version, which seemed cut in places during the action scenes.

• Like 2

thundered mantis

Hope we get to watch the 3 hours cut some day. Maybe the 2 scenes Donnie favours are not action anyway...

Fingers crossed it would be getting an Eureka, Arrow or 88 release, that are the companies to seem to care for dc's and all

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
21 hours ago, DiP said:

Donnie confirms that the original cut of the movie was over 3 hours long, which was then cut down to 2 hours including the removal of two scenes he really favors.

I imagine it'd contain a lot more scenes with his wife, considering she barely clocks in 5 mins of screen time in the released version and is all but forgotten about at the end.

• Like 2