Raging Fire (2021) - Donnie Yen, Nicholas Tse

mark187

Well if turns out to be a new Legend of the Fist I'd be happy...while that movie was a bit disapointing as whole it was masterpiece compared to Special ID.

Back in 2012/2013 Special ID was by far my most anticipated movie...I expected something on the same or higher level as SPL/Flashpoint. Looking back those expectations of course were highly unrealistic based on the troubled production history and the fact the director was Clarence Fok. But Donnie was already 50 by the time Special ID released and it was my last hope to see a truly spectacular fight performance by him. While the fight scenes overall were just ok, the movie itself was just plain bad, boring and too light on action. The End fight with Andy On and the kitchen fight were ok but not groundbreaking. The fight with Ken Lo on the other side was super lame. 

Raging Fire seems to be a much better movie overall, with all the talent involved and Benny Chan was in my opinion a great director as far as HK-Action goes.

While I don't expect fight scenes on the level of Flashpoint (sorry but this is just not possible at 58 or 56 while filming), what I saw in the trailers looks really really promising. I just want to find some piece 😃😃😃

Edited by McQuade
  • Like 3

I can understand you, unfortunately Special Id was not extraordinary but it was more ironic and less artifact than Legend of the Fist. The fight with Andy On wasn't as revolutionary as Collin Chou's, but at least it didn't have the fragmentary editing of Legend of the Fist that broke the fluidity of the fights and was the gift for the viewer to have stayed until the end. Perhaps Kung fu Jungle was the most satisfying filming of action sequences after Flashpoint; but we all know that Spl and Flashpoint fights are the best. The fight sequence in Big Brother wasn't bad either, too bad for the story of the film and that one fight scene. Enter The Fat Dragon also had some good times. In any case, we have been waiting for years for the fight to pass the final Flashpoint scene, but I have never seen anything so surprising since ... not just from Donnie but in general. Will this be the film we all look forward to? I have a feeling that there will be too many shootings (not that it's a flaw, let's hope there aren't the fireworks I saw in New Police Story and who made me laugh) and the final fight with Tse probably won't be surprising because Tse is not a martial artist of great level. However, we await the film with great curiosity.

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 3

At 58 years of age, it's astonishing that Donnie is still going forward with performing action scenes almost like he did 30 years ago. Of course, his physical prowess isn't the same as it was 15 years ago but remember that the guy works out and takes care of his body and health almost on a daily basis, during and outside of work. If Sylvester Stallone could still make action movies and stay fit despite being in his 60s (at the time), so can others and Donnie is another great example of that. Constant training, body exercising, and appropriate dieting helps you overcome and stand exhaustion longer. Donnie's determination to always stay on top is nuts, he may be pushing his 60s. But at his own level I believe he will still performs the same way he always have for another good 7 years before he eventually slows down. So during this period, I hope we can see more good action movies from him. We shall all be thankful to have someone like him pushing the boundaries of Hong Kong action movies in a time when most of the greats of Hong Kong cinema are no longer active or aren't as passionate as in the past.

Legend of the Fist and Special ID are above-average and may not belong among Donnie's best. However, I can think of several movies worse than these two... The Last Conflict, Circus Kids, The Saint of Gamblers, Satan Returns, Iron Monkey 2, City of Darkness, Highlander: Endgame, The Twins Effect 2, Painted Skin, Iceman, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny, and Iceman: The Time Traveller.

I'm eagerly anticipating this movie and will try not to hype too much. Trailers and BTS footage have sold me completely. But this was after all directed by Benny Chan who was hit-and-miss imho.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

Well back when Legend of the fist released, my expectations where not as high and maybe this is why I perceive not as bad as Special ID...but of course you are right that the editing in the end fight was a mess.

The thing that makes me a bit sad is that Donnie is in my opinion the last true Martial Arts Movie Star and the output in the genre is really declining and there are no new stars in sight. I mean Raging Fire is the only new movie maybe since the Raid 2 that I truly want to see. And in the End I wasn't even a fan of the Raid 2. I know that is percieved as an all time great, and it probably is...but for me it was overly long the admittedly great choreography was bit repetitive.

Back to Donnie: I hope Raging Fire will not just have great action but that it is a great intense movie. We will see, but Donnie needs one more really great movie. Ip Man 4 was good, but I was never so much into those Wing Chun fights than I was into the MMA stuff.

• Like 3

Hey DIP I never wanted to say that Donnie is not in great shape. He is probably in the best shape a human of his age can be. And he is in much better shape than for example Jackie was at 58 and his performances are still among the best the genre has to offer. I still would have liked it if he had done some more "modern" action movies since Flashpoint. 

Edited by McQuade
  • Like 3

Drunken Monk

One thing Raging Fire seems to have going for it is that it doesn't look boring. In my opinion, Flashpoint was rather dull save for a couple of good fight scenes here and there. I actually prefer Legend of the Fist to Flashpoint as far as entertainment goes. Raging Fire looks like good old fashioned popcorn entertainment.

• Like 4

Even movies that are rated high or are majorily regarded as great get their little deal of bad criticism 😜

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1