Game of Death Soundtracks

Alan C

Hi Guys,

Of the various 'Game of Death' soundtracks, I'm curious as to which you prefer:

John Barry, Game of Death 1978  International Score

Joseph Koo, Game of Death 1978 Cantonese Score

Wayne Hawkins, Warrior's Journey Score

Tomohiro Endo & Tadashi Horiko, Artport's Bruce Lee in G. O. D Score

To me, the Barry score trumps all - and I'm currently working on a project that will hopefully showcase how crucial his music is to the footage.

That said, I'd love to hear what you all think/feel?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
2 hours ago, Alan C said:

John Barry, Game of Death 1978  International Score

Hi @Alan C, cool to see you posting on the forum's now.

It has to be John Barrys score, which inspired some of the Art-Port soundtrack as you will know. It hard to imagine seeing the G.O.D footage, without this score backing it.

The soundtrack used for the G.O.D Kareem/Bruce fight, in the Best of Martial Arts film. Was that a new or borrowed score?, I've only heard Joseh Kuo's opnening track for the 78 version.

I would have to say the John Barry music is the best,but that’s the only one I’ve really listened to.If I had seen the Cantonese version as many times as the English Game I may feel different but I doubt it for me John Barry’s score is on point👍👍👍

20 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @Alan C, cool to see you posting on the forum's now

The soundtrack used for the G.O.D Kareem/Bruce fight, in the Best of Martial Arts film. Was that a new or borrowed score?

Hi DC. Good question. That was an interesting choice of music eh? Almost an exercise in irony.:smile

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, Alan C said:

Hi DC. Good question. That was an interesting choice of music eh? Almost an exercise in irony.:smile

Was it taken from the Joseph Kuo score?, or was it just a new track added for the Best of Martial Arts film?, the sound FX are all different too.

14 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Was it taken from the Joseph Kuo score?, or was it just a new track added for the Best of Martial Arts film?, the sound FX are all different too.

Yeah, FX are totally different. I suspect that it's 'stock' music.

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, Alan C said:

Yeah, FX are totally different. I suspect that it's 'stock' music.

At first I thought the instrumental music might be from another Golden Harvest film. Like how G.H used Joseph Koo's Hand of Death score, during the Ji Han-Jae G.O.D fight. When the studio used the footage, in the BL The Legend documentary.

The thing about Barry's score is it chronicles such a powerful narrative. Some have criticized it for being too repetitive, but I disagree. Even when the main theme is repeated in different keys it's able to showcase a slightly different nuance to the story it's telling. Along with 'Boss', it's easily my favorite score.

Archived