RIP Diana Chang Chung-Wen (1936-2019)

AlbertV

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2019/02/20190219-shaw-star-and-roast-pork-bun.html

DianaChangChungWen-15-b.jpg

Diana in Bride Napping (1962)

MonkeyGoesWest+1966-25-b.jpg

Diana Chung in The Monkey Goes West (1966)

1253fa02cb1bb43c7c80a71642d91bc5.jpg

Diana in 2000.

She was married twice, the first to Mr. Seifert, who died in 1993 and then to Stanley Scott, moving to the United States. She died on February 15th at home in Texas from organ failure at the age of 82. She is survived by her husband and three children from her previous marriage.

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=2569&display_set=eng

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R.I.P.

Sometimes surprises me that there’s Shaw stars living within a day or two’s drive from me. It would be nice to sit down and have a talk with them, though it seems that a lot of them don’t want to talk about those days. Or, they think of it as just another job. Sad that we’re losing all this history. 

15 hours ago, reason108 said:

Sometimes surprises me that there’s Shaw stars living within a day or two’s drive from me.

Many of them moved to Aus or Usa..

Checked her filmography, seen only monkey goes to west and did not like any of those monkey movies and don`t remember her..

however "daring sword" might be very interesting..

34 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Checked her filmography,

She was very good in Kiss and kill, Amorous Lotus Pan and Madam Slender Plum. I haven't watched Monkey goes West, Bride  napping, Susanna and Empress Wu Tse Tian as yet, but I shouldn't be disappointed in my opinion...

Which Daring Sword are you talking about, please ? The only one I know doesn't have her in the cast...

1 minute ago, ShawAngela said:

She was very good in Kiss and kill, Amorous Lotus Pan and Madam Slender Plum. I haven't watched Monkey goes West, Bride  napping, Susanna and Empress Wu Tse Tian as yet, but I shouldn't be disappointed in my opinion...

Which Daring Sword are you talking about, please ? The only one I know doesn't have her in the cast...

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=4093

I was looking this site which almost always is accurate

7 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=4093

I was looking this site which almost always is accurate

That's so strange how the two sites differ in the cast, except for a few actors !

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5011&display_set=eng

I thnk that I watched this movie years ago, but I don't remember if she played in it or not.

Thanks for the link.

2 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

That's so strange how the two sites differ in the cast, except for a few actors !

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5011&display_set=eng

I thnk that I watched this movie years ago, but I don't remember if she played in it or not.

Thanks for the link.

interesting!

I use all the time hkcinemagic coz think that site is more pleasant to eyes and info seems to be correct too-

hkcinemagic is useful to complete hkmdb filmographies because it also lists the series, which is not the case on hkmdb. It helped me to build an almost complete filmography of Adam Cheng and David Chiang this way...

Also, it's useful when one looks for something year by year...

2 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

hkcinemagic is useful to complete hkmdb filmographies because it also lists the series, which is not the case on hkmdb. It helped me to build an almost complete filmography of Adam Cheng and David Chiang this way...

Also, it's useful when one looks for something year by year...

yes hkcine is very much help..do you have that movie in possession now?

2 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

do you have that movie in possession now?

I have to check...When I'll have a little while...:bs_smile:

15 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I have to check...When I'll have a little while...:bs_smile:

were you able to check?Interesting situation, both are very credible sites..and if she appears in that movie it does not hurt database  if she actually is in flick..however opposite if she is not hurts bit credibility of hkcinemagic

17 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

were you able to check

I didn't have time to check my movies, but I just found it on youtube, and after a quick random watching, it confirms what I thought that Diana Chang doesn't play in it.

Just take a look :

I think that people on hkcinemagic mistook the beginning of her Chinese name with Chang Chung (Paul)'s name...

It happened to me once when I was looking for this latter's movies on a Chinese site with his Chinese characters name and not only I got results for him, but also for her, because if you carrefully look, her frist two characters look very similar as those of Chang Chung (there is just a slight difference on the second character for him)...

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 2/19/2019 at 5:41 PM, AlbertV said:

Diana in Bride Napping (1962)

BRIDE NAPPING is a lovely mistaken-identitiy comedy based on some chapter of The Water Margin/ Heroes of the Marsh, I recommend it to ppl who like movies from that era. 

20 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Thank you for your efforts and research! took a look here and there looks like movie can be very interesting...

I remember Diana Chang Chung-wen from the very start of my Shaw Brothers collection - the first instalment of the Siren Visual box set of the four Monkey Goes West films produced by the Shaw Brothers in the 60's. More recently, I enjoyed her lead role in The Amorous Lotus Pan, a Huangmei opera in which she portrays Pan Jinlian with sensitivity and humanity. I look forward to revisiting this film, and to viewing Madam Slender Plum and The Bride Napping.

Rest In Peace.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, reason108 said:

R.I.P.

Sometimes surprises me that there’s Shaw stars living within a day or two’s drive from me. It would be nice to sit down and have a talk with them, though it seems that a lot of them don’t want to talk about those days. Or, they think of it as just another job. Sad that we’re losing all this history. 

Yes, it is a sad reality that we are steadily losing connections to a beloved era, and their personal recollections of the time.

You have raised a valid point though. For the avid Shaw viewer, it can be very easy to idealise/romanticise the lives of the actors and actresses through our enjoyment of the films that they bring to life. The natural conclusion is that it must have been truly special to have been part of the era. We would all like to think that the cast members enjoyed their work, finding personal fulfilment and job satisfaction while they strove to make a living like everybody else. But the Shaw system did not work for everyone. Hectic production schedules, long working hours and dormitory style living would take a toll on personal lives. Some would feel their creativity was stifled, while others would thrive and become household names. The pressures of stardom, or the disappointment of stalled careers and unrealised dreams. Factor in the young age of many cast members and is it any wonder that opinions of the era may vary?

Personally, I would love to meet members of the Shaw cast, they remain a tangible connection to a lost era that now only exists in film. Perhaps some would feel heartened that 40-50 years later their work is still appreciated and enjoyed, and that someone is interested in their experiences of the time. But my desire is tempered by reality. How positively do they remember those days? And would they want to meet me? To answer questions put to them countless times before by someone who only knows them based on their onscreen personae. And is it fair to expect them to live up to an ideal that has subconsciously formed in my mind? And, for my part, do I risk a feeling of disillusionment should the experience not live up to expectation?

NoKUNGFUforYU

I can tell you that the Nostalgia for the Shaw Brothers is mostly from overseas viewers. According to a major critic their, closing the studio and tearing it down in HK was not a big deal. This was hard work, and they didn't always pay well. A lot of people got hurt as well, and probably felt stuck in certain genre's, etc. Also, their output is not considered artistic, more derivative and commercial, and in the end, for a lot of critics, disposable.

Archived