Bootlegs or Legit

Guest froffeecoffee

Guest froffeecoffee

Was at my local Chinese video store and came across some Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat titles. Some were Armour of God 1&2, Police Story 1-3, A Better Tomorrow 1&2, City Hunter, and such. They averaged in price from 9.25 to 12.00. Checking the cover box, there are silver holographic stickers on the front. The information on the back had the company as Zoke Culture, I think it was? On the City Hunter info, it said Bey Logan commentary.

Overall good prices, but leery about them being bootlegs, even with holo sticker. Tipoff is the some DVD cases are shrink wrapped, but no slipcovers. Others cases are in shrinked wrapped box covers. May get them if quality is good. Has anyone seen DVDs in this condition?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chen lung

Some of their DVDs have DTS soundtracks, not found on other releases. They must be legit to some extent, but I do agree on some of the dodgyness surrounding them (maybe it was a rumour that got us all started).

I have zoke culture of "sword stained with royal blood" and "cat vs rat" but I not count them as legit..this is mental stuff of course but when/if have celestial or united release appreciate more.genuine original stuff all the way;)

Zoke Culture is a real company, but who's to say that bootleggers aren't borrowing their logo for some releases. I have a bunch of zoke dvd's in "simplified packaging" that I paid a dollar each for in Chinatown. Many are copies of HKL discs. I don't think those are legit at all.

Morgoth Bauglir

I have the Zoke Tiger on the Beat DVD. It was cheap, and it is the same as the HKL DVD. No subs on the Gordon Liu interview, but other than that it is awesome.

According to HKFlix, Zoke Culture releases are basicly the same as the IVLs but with different cover art and that Zokes are region free. I own a couple of them, including Martial Club, and it's all good. Think they are cheaper too.

If the Zokes are legit they should also be cut by Mainland China's censors when they feel it's needed. Not sure what they would pick away from an old Shaw Brothers classic or how the censors work at all, but one can assume they are quite strict and don't let exceptions go by. The Zoke DVD for SPL is one example that is cut.

I THINK Zoke Culture is a bootleg company. I can't find them listed anywhere as an authorized celestial distributor/dealer, & I read on another site that they're a Chinese bootleg company.

I have a few mainland shaws & they are MANGLED by the censors. Some movies, like Spiritual Boxer have the 1st 15 minutes cut out. Many have different credits because opening scenes are cut. There will be a black backround & white chinese characters on screen. These have no english subs & they are not by Zoke.

Archived