Lo Lieh

faridehlolieh

Chu Liu Hsiang
2 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I wish he was chosen for the New Spartans project that Jimmy Wang Yu was tapped for.

What is that pls? 

• Like 1

Cognoscente

A glimpse at what could have been...

On Facebook in 2018, Jiro Chino posted: "Toby Russell and Ting Wai Ho's IFD Film Services booth at TIFF is now ready to open with Jimmy Wang Yu and Toshiro Mifune's unfinished work The New Spartans from tomorrow."

44613835_1780071305424302_2850065200122429440_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

AlexanderFu

Lo Lieh is right at the top of the list, He is an all time favorite o mine, top 2 no doubt.

Does anyone happen to have the interview he did speaking English when he was much older?

I'd love to see that again. Thanks!

• Like 3

venomsreviews
27 minutes ago, AlexanderFu said:

Lo Lieh is right at the top of the list, He is an all time favorite o mine, top 2 no doubt.

Does anyone happen to have the interview he did speaking English when he was much older?

I'd love to see that again. Thanks!

Is this the interview you’re referring to?

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 2

AlexanderFu
1 hour ago, venomsreviews said:

Is this the interview you’re referring to?

That is the one! Thank you so much! I don't know how I found it the 1st time and I'd never have found it again. I really appreciate you finding it for me!

• Like 4

venomsreviews
12 minutes ago, AlexanderFu said:

That is the one! Thank you so much! I don't know how I found it the 1st time and I'd never have found it again. I really appreciate you finding it for me!

I’m glad I was able to help! I faintly remembered seeing it on YouTube once so I decided to look around on there to see if it was still up. I hope you enjoy it!

• Like 4

AlexanderFu
35 minutes ago, venomsreviews said:

I’m glad I was able to help! I faintly remembered seeing it on YouTube once so I decided to look around on there to see if it was still up. I hope you enjoy it!

I wish it was an hour or 3 longer but it is great to see, and his English speaking was a welcome surprise when I 1st saw it. Sad though, his arms are so skinny, he looked.....I think he worked himself to death. 18 movies in 76? more the next year. He is definitely the kind of person you wish you could have met at least once. One of the best actors ever imo. He put everything into his performances, especially conveying emotions - god or bad, with his eyes. Lo Lieh nd Alexander Fu Sheng are my 2 favorite. They both had a personality to do their work well.

Whatever you did to find it, fantastic!

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

Lo Lieh was really amazing. I can never decide if I like him better in his early heroic or later villanous roles, he definitely could act both. And like David Chiang, always cooool.

He seems incredibly likeable, I had not seen an interview with him before. I wondered about the collaboration with Tsui Hark and then realized it must be DANGEROUS ENCOUNTER which I never watched bc of the notorious animal abuse scenes.

Although short, his appearances as Han Tang are among my favorites.

lo lieh GIF by Shaw Brothers

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

King Boxer is my number one favorite Shaw movie, but in general,  I always enjoyed him more as a heel. He just does it so well, and also really appreciate the varied performances he delivers within the villain-sphere. Other badguy actors are great at playing the badguy, but often with minimal variety. 

Think of Lo as the ghoulish, hunched over Japanese villain in Chinese Boxer, who gets so pissed off that he literally hits the roof... and goes through it. It's almost cartoony. A psycho driven by anger and emotion.

And then there's his various, but consistent, takes on the Pai Mei character. Very cool and calm, seemingly with no emotions at all, and not using an ounce more energy than he absolutely has to. He's like a spider that lures you into his web. 

Or the sniveling, weaselly kind seen in Shaolin Handlock. A coward that will try to stab you in the back but beg for mercy if you get the upper hand. Someone who trains in seclusion, not for peace of mind, but because he's underhanded and will use shifty methods as part of his style.

I could go on, but there are so many examples. And yes, there are also many examples of him doing just the run-of-mill cackling villain, and sometimes on autopilot. But that is understandable when doing so many films, playing seemingly similar character types. 

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 7

AlexanderFu

Valley of the Fangs and The Swift Knight were great early movies and I love the dub for VOTF.

Lo Lieh's voicesounds like Jimmy Stewart in that! David Chiang had that voice dub him and I always crack up how it sounds like the 'It's a Wonderful Life' actor!

• Like 3

I watched Fists and guts today and I enjoyed a lot the furious fight between Lo Lieh and Liu Chia Hui.

Lo Lieh uses a lo of different Shaolin styles here, and I don't remember to have ever seen him using such styles as the tiger and other ones in any other movie.

Does any of you kow if he used Shaolin styles in other movies that I'm not aware of ?

I must say that though he has only one fight in the movie, Lo Lieh stole it from Liu Chia Hui !

• Like 3

On 8/1/2021 at 10:22 AM, saltysam said:

I wonder if he ever found the fabled kung fu finger book :tongueout he's a legend

Oh, this is so awesome :lol: 

Cheung Lik was great in that also.

I've seen people put down Lo Lieh's fighting skills, but I think he moved so gracefully. I think he had it all.

He could act, fight, was so beautiful and just gave off the coolest vibe. 

he is not leaving my top 2 any time soon! (Him and Alexander Fu Sheng are neck and neck).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rdenn said:

how did lo Lieh even find the time to do tv series as well amongst all the films he made

So true ! And it's not like he did one or two series, he did a lot ! And I'm not aware of all of them, since it's so difficult to find a complete list of the tv series our favorite actors played in !

• Like 4

I'm

16 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

So, butt double or not for Lo Lieh in the final freeze frame of Pursuit of Vengeance?

image.png.35268ceea0839992d8c8419bcb4de899.png

I'm no expert on the male buttocks, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He seemed like he's have no problem doing this. :cool:

• Like 3