What are some of your favorite horror films?

legendarycurry

legendarycurry

I would love to know what some of your faves are regardless of country or subgenres. Some of my faves are:

Halloween

The thing

A nightmare on elm street

The innocents

Last house on the left

The others

Dark water

Alien

Just to name a few!

• Like 1

Being that Im on a martial arts fandom forum, horror is not my preferred genre. Therefore my tastes arent going to be that well defined.

but as it goes (no order) Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, Nightbreed, Scream movies are pretty cool, used to like Strangers quite a bit (havent seen it since), My Bloody Valentine, Creature From The Black Lagoon, thought the new It movie was pretty cool in areas (the clown and way it built tension), The Grudge Trilogy and Ju On

I still have a bit to watch, even some obvious stuff to get around to

I dont necessarily like the classic monster characters (frankenstein, dracula, vampires, zombies), or horror characters like Jason or Chucky

I tend to view horror as a bit of mind pollution at times. What I mean by this is how they teach you to run and hide whereas martial arts film empower and endorse justice. 

Some movies I want to watch (off the top of my head): Killer Klowns From Outer Space, finish watching the Hellraiser franchise, Hills Have Eyes, other Rob Zombies maybe, go through a phase of other clown movies

wow, my taste in horror really does need improving, thanks for making me realize 🤔

• Like 1

Turns out Albert already made this topic years ago. Knew there was no way this wasnt discussed before, I should have searched.

Feel free for an admin to move this to the original thread.

• Like 1

It might have been lost in the 2016 blackout, but this is a good thread to bring back, especially because I've been watching loads of horror over the past few years.

My all-time favorite horror film is
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, the original 1974 film.

Here are some others:
Halloween (1978)
My Bloody Valentine (both the 1981 original and its 2009 remake)
Carrie (1976)
Slay Belles (2018)
Mandy (2018)
Sometimes They Come Back...Again (1996)
Creepshow 2 (1987)
The Lift (1983)
Amsterdamned (1988)
Fright Night (1985)
Ghoulies II (1988)
House II: The Second Story (1987)
Slaughter High (1986)
Deadtime Stories (1986)
Ichi the Killer (2001)
Ringu (1998)
Suspiria (1977) - still need to see the reboot as I heard it was really good.
The Banana Splits Movie (2019)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, AlbertV said:

It might have been lost in the 2016 blackout, but this is a good thread to bring back, especially because I've been watching loads of horror over the past few years.

My all-time favorite horror film is
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, the original 1974 film.

Here are some others:
Halloween (1978)
My Bloody Valentine (both the 1981 original and its 2009 remake)
Carrie (1976)
Slay Belles (2018)
Mandy (2018)
Sometimes They Come Back...Again (1996)
Creepshow 2 (1987)
The Lift (1983)
Amsterdamned (1988)
Fright Night (1985)
Ghoulies II (1988)
House II: The Second Story (1987)
Slaughter High (1986)
Deadtime Stories (1986)
Ichi the Killer (2001)
Ringu (1998)
Suspiria (1977) - still need to see the reboot as I heard it was really good.
The Banana Splits Movie (2019)

Great list (I agree especially with the last one!)

For me, horror has to have something of the human element. Big monsters and CGI splatter don't scare me in the slightest and as such I can watch the Saw films without too much trouble, but I have no inclination to sit through any of the Hostels. A lone man or woman being preyed upon however, that can be terrifying. As such, the most terrifying film I've ever seen is probably Audition (well, actually that title probably goes to Pasolini's 'Salo, or 120 Days of Sodom'. It was for a course and I never want to think, hear or speak of it again!). Similarly, I found the Ryan Reynolds thriller Buried unimaginably scary, same with 127 Hours. Those films that are so close to reality, not even in the horror genre per se, but  if you actually stop and imagine yourself in that situation it's horrifying. Best of the 'ordinary scenario gone wrong' to my mind is Open Water. Genuinely, I will never go on a diving trip because of that film. I think that of the horror genre, Texas Chainsaw is difficult to beat, not because of the gore (of which there is surprisingly little, but the sense of dread and disgust that builds and builds, never letting you take a breather for a second until the escape scene, which I don't think I've ever been as invested in whether a character gets away from the bad guys! Equally, despite being rated PG, I can barely sit through Arachnophobia, so perhaps, to me, that would be the scariest film.

Oh, and I'm going to add a TV episode. The series falls under horror/thriller. UtopiaA British series from 2011 I think, I won't spoil it but there is a torture scene in the first episode that even now makes me shudder and I am usually OK with those kinds of scenes, the disconnect of knowing I'm watching something fictional, but this just... well, if you are so inclined, watch it and report back. The series is actually a great watch too but the kind of twisted mind that came up with it!

• Like 1

TCM 1 & 2

Carrie

Jaws 1 & 2

American Werewolf in London

Hammer Dracula movies

Dracula 1979

Amsterdamned

Suspria

Dawn Of The Dead

Eaten Alive

Deranged

Friday the 13th

Rabid

The Funhouse

Poltergeist

Return Of The Living Dead

Halloween

The Fog

• Like 1

Lets see:

1. Halloween 1&2(1978-1981)
  2. Paranormal Activity Series (2007-2015)
  3. Secret Window(2004)
  4. The Cube(1997)
  5. Mandy(2018)
  6. Willy's Wonderland(2021
  7. Cabin in the Woods(2011)
  8. The Evil Dead Series(1981-2018{Including the TV series which is heavily connected to the movies})
  9. Psycho(1960)
  10. The Shining/Doctor Sleep(1980-2019)
  11. Shaun of the Dead(2004)
  12. Night of the Living Dead(1968-The Original)
  13. Dawn of the Dead(1978-The Original) 
  14. Ju-On(2002)
  15. The Ring 1&2(2002-2005)
  16. Ringu(1998)
  17. Stalled(2013)
  18. Jurassic Park(1993)
  19. Friday the 13th(1980)

There are probably more, but this is off the top of my head. 

• Like 2