Angel Films (aka 'Iron Angels', 'Midnite Angels', 'Angel Terminators' etc.)

Guest skulldugrey

TibetanWhiteCrane

If the 6 minutes is action or integral plot, then that is a problem for me..... if it's travelogue shots of the Philipines, Elaine Lui walking on a beach or small snippets here and there, then I don't care.

• Like 1

I do remember one scene cut from the Czech version. Elaine is captured and Yuen Tak's men try to rape her when she refuses to join them. Peter comes in and kills one of the men with a gunshot.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

That's problematic, both action and somewhat plot.... I could live without it. But if there are more instances of that, I would probably not want that version.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I have a 35mm print of Angel II. What is missing from the Czech DVD?

Cropping from the top and bottom and cut? No thanks. I'd rather see a transfer of that 35mm print! Imbedded Chinese & English subs are fine with me if it's widescreen and uncut! :nerd:

• Like 1

Guest Markgway

The export cut of ANGEL II was roughly 9m shorter than the original Cantonese version.

If that's the source of the CZ edition it would explain the short run time.

The UK versions were cut by 0:18 for torture, attempted rape, and animal cruelty.

One Armed Boxer
I'd rather see a transfer of that 35mm print! Imbedded Chinese & English subs are fine with me if it's widescreen and uncut!

Likewise! Haz, what's the go?

Does anyone want to see Crazy Couple subbed and in Cantonese?

You'd be able to get a much better gauge of interest by putting this in the classic martial arts section of the forum....don't think there'd be too much interest shown in the middle of a thread about a girls with guns modern era kickboxing movie!

Transferring the print would cost a fortune. I am translating Angel II now. At least I will have excellent subs, and can add them to a good DVD if this one ever surfaces. The existing translation is entirely wrong.

I haven't had a look at my UK vhs of ANGEL 2 for ages but didn't it have remastered subs? I could be wrong but I think it did.

• Like 1

Guest Markgway

I seem to remember the MIA VHS having remastered subs (an English dubbed tape was also available).

I think it may have been a bit cropped from the original 2.35 though, and, of course, slightly cut.

silver hermit
Does anyone want to see Crazy Couple subbed and in Cantonese?

Isn't the laserdisc dual language subbed and scope?

I haven't had a look at my UK vhs of ANGEL 2 for ages but didn't it have remastered subs? I could be wrong but I think it did.

You would be amazed what remastered subs are often like. I'll re-translated a film when I watch it with a native Chinese speaker and they start cursing at the TV! Sometimes its not with hard to translate sayings, but with general dialogue. I watched Angel II with my Canto translator, and she was cracking up at how wrong the subs were. That's when I decided to to it over for future use.

There's more than one film where the lines are totally messed up. I can think of one film where a monk is trying to turn away some intruders from a temple. In Mandarin he says: "This is a holy place, a sacred place. You cannot enter here." In comparison, the translation said "Go away."

Many people don't really care about these things, but I do. Good translations help me enjoy the film more.

Splendid.

My incredibly tiny mini review:

The film is Boring for the first 30 minutes, the second 30 minutes is quite interesting as we learn about the intentions of the bad guy. But the finale is absolutely amazing, the best scene is Moon Lee Vs Yuen Tak - that is Awesome!!! Stanley tong did an excellent job with the action.

• Like 1

Just briefly read your review. A fine job summing the movie up. I agree with your rating too. And I see you picked up on the excellent Moon Lee Vs Yuen Tak fight (Yuen Tak co-choreographed the Fong Sai Yuk movies in 1993 with Corey Yuen Kwai and they won the award for best action design in Hong Kong)

• Like 1

Re: Iron Angels 2 - Oh yeah, the back-to-back fights between Moon Lee and Yuen Tak (plus the other guy) are definitely high points in both Stanley Tong's career and the Girls 'n Guns genre. Too bad the rest of the film isn't as interesting as the huge clímax.

I've never seen Iron Angels 3 (only clips on Youtube), but I never understood why Stanley Tong gave Moon Lee that excellent nunchaku fight in the mansion, and then left her out of the clímax. What the heck was up with that?

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
We just posted a review for the 1990 flick, ANGEL TERMINATORS.

For those interested, check it out here.

Great review, sums up my own feelings towards the movie pretty well. I think the sequel is far superior, but still a decent girls with guns flick.

'Angel Terminators 2' thread - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18635

As for Pan Pan Yeung, I'm curious to check out more of her stuff, has anyone on here seen 'Way of the Lady Boxers'?

• Like 1

Great review, sums up my own feelings towards the movie pretty well. I think the sequel is far superior, but still a decent girls with guns flick.

'Angel Terminators 2' thread - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18635

As for Pan Pan Yeung, I'm curious to check out more of her stuff, has anyone on here seen 'Way of the Lady Boxers'?

I saw fight clips from it on YouTube. Sibelle Hu's fights were among the clumsiest modern kickboxing fights I've seen from a HK film.

• Like 1

WAY OF THE LADY BOXER is a mediocre cheapo with unimpressive action but at least a lot of it. Only recommended for those who've seen all the good stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! Looks like the first and second films are coming to blu-ray in France:

https://www.amazon.fr/Angel-terminators-Blu-ray-Carrie-Ng/dp/B07F9G56VM/

https://www.amazon.fr/Angel-terminators-Blu-ray-Yukari-Oshima/dp/B07F9GKRDT/

I'm sure these won't be English-friendly, but should be a great basis for a custom sub job. Time to delete my cut Chinese HD web grab.

• Like 2