Donnybrook (2019) - Jamie Bell, Frank Grillo, Margaret Qualley

AlbertV

Jarhead Earl (Jamie Bell) will do anything to keep his family together. After robbing a gun shop, he hits the road with his young son, determined to win big at the Donnybrook, a legendary bare-knuckle brawl where the last man standing in a brutal backwoods cage fight walks off with $100,000. But hot on his trail are Chainsaw Angus (Frank Grillo), a vicious drug dealer who wants Jarhead dead, and Angus's conflicted sister Delia (Margaret Qualley), who is drawn to Jarhead's inherent goodness. Set in the rural heartland, amid seedy motels and last-chance saloons, and based on the novel by Frank Bill, DONNYBROOK from writer-director Tim Sutton (MEMPHIS, DARK NIGHT) is his highest-profile feature film to date, an unflinching, lyrical descent into an American underworld of hard promises, broken dreams, and the brutal will to survive.

Comes to select theaters on Feb. 15 then VOD on Feb. 22 from IFC Films

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

Started on the first half of this last night. This is definitely a watch without the wife/girlfriend movie so I waited for her to go to sleep. I liked a lot of Frank Grillo's stuff, especially Kingdom on Netflix (from directtv) but this is an unrelentingly brutal movie. My wife and I live in a suburb in the SF Bay Area and she just doesn't really understand that this is how a decent part of the USA lives. Anyway, going to finish tonight, but pretty rough stuff with no chaser. I mean Grillo's character seems more like a serial killer on a rampage then just a drug dealer so far. I can't imagine that many bodies/people missing before the FBI would come in to find who is killing all these people. Anyway, if you like that kind of thing, check it out, but I would say tune into Kingdom and the Purge for your Grillo fix.

• Like 3