The Grandmaster of Kung Fu (2019) - Dennis To

AlbertV

Looks to to me. I liked him in that wing chun film from 2010 where he played the young ip man.

Edited by LoBo

On 2/7/2019 at 6:36 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Fingers crossed, this will pop up on dddhouse one day but I'm not holding my breath. It looks like a lot of fun.

This is out on Region A blu ray from Well Go. I watched it on Hi-Yah! & it's okay. How many different versions can one make out of the Huo Yuanjia story and add something new? The Japanese are still portrayed as cartoonish one dimensional villains who will stoop to any level to defeat the great hero, Huo Yuanjia &  of course, the "sick men of Asia" is resurrected once again to humiliate and demoralize the Chinese martial arts community. So don't go into this expecting a surprise twist or a nuanced version of the story. The upside to this is the movie has fairly good pacing and moves along without any major lulls. The downside is that the fight scenes and choreography appear rushed at times & not as fully fleshed out and befitting of someone with Dennis To's skill level. But I can't say I have any real complaints. It's yet another decent but not particularly memorable or notable addendum to the Huo Yuanjia celluloid legacy.

• Like 1