Ringo Lam

legendarycurry

legendarycurry

I didn't know where else to post this May he rest in peace. His death was such a sad end to 2018. He truly was unique among Hong Kong filmmakers, what I would call an auteur. My favorite film of his is probably "Full Contact" but other films like "School on Fire"and "City on fire"are excellent and his collaboration with Sammo "Touch and Go" is underrated. What are some of your favorite Ringo Lam movies?

• Like 1

His first ever T.V interview, appears to be taken from a British T.V show?, but I don't remember such a program, that covered Hong Kong film?.

Can anyone help us out with I-D the program, this interview is taken from?.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
9 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

His first ever T.V interview, appears to be taken from a British T.V show?, but I don't remember such a program, that covered Hong Kong film?.

Can anyone help us out with I-D the program, this interview is taken from?.

It is called "Filmnight" great find! Very interesting

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 8:51 PM, legendarycurry said:

It is called "Filmnight" great find! Very interesting

Thanks, I recall that show, must have have missed that episode though.

1996/97, the overall theme was filmmakers anxieties about the 1997 HK handover.

Can't remember who else was on it, but remember John Woo being name-checked (by Lam, i think), as having already left or preparing to leave for Hollywood.

• Like 1

I just became aware of Ringo Lam's passing, and wanted to post a short tribute. At one stage, I had an ongoing interest in various forms of Asian cinema, which largely I left behind a long time ago. The few that I do still appreciate certainly includes Ringo Lam's work such as Victim, Full Alert and City on Fire - he produced work which was explosive, but also had depth. 

I also only recently came across a feature on him from South China Morning Post, for your interest.

https://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2048285/audience-hong-kong-action-film-master-ringo-lam

• Like 3