Chinese-Swords (Both history and film)

Shosetsu

Guest Sword

Good Swordplay from the movie  Barbarian Swordsman but it also has a surprise appearance of the unusual Fire Wheels as wielded by one of his adversaries.  This is only the second time that I've seen the Fire Wheels in a movie.  I should also mention that the Fire Wheels are featured in a back-issue of a m/a magazine I have in my collection in which the Fire Wheels are instructively presented in a series of sequential-panels.

Oops, made a mistake. The last post about the Barbarian Swordsman was actually mine but I posted without signing in. Excuse me.

• Like 2

When @DragonClaws linked to the video of Chinese Sword tournaments, it reminded me of how Europe first conducted tournaments back in the olden days.  

To safely conduct a scoring, each Sword-blade was equipped with small suction cups so they could stick to the spot where a hit was made. To make it easier for the suction cups to stick, each fencer donned a metallic vest. Also, each vest was diagrammatic, that is, showing diagrams of the heart and other vital organs so that points could be awarded accordingly. In other words a hit at the heart was awarded 100 points, and 20 points for the right breast.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

Before I saw the movie The Crimson Charm, I never knew of the actress Ivy Ling Po at all.  Come to find out, she was a very popular actress for the Shaw Brothers Studio.  Here in The Crimson Charm, she shows off her skill with an unusual Sword.  In fact, I had to decide whether to post this in the Weird weapons thread or in this thread.  I finally decided to post it in this thread because the scene is basically Swordplay.  What makes Ivy's Sword unusual is its retractability.  That is, at first, she appears to be carrying a short baton--but from presumably pressing a button, it releases a long blade.  What mystifies me is that the Sword blade is much longer than the baton so how it could be completely concealed within the sheath is beyond me.  Of course we know that most Umbrellas nowadays are retractable so that they can be retracted into a much smaller size for ease of portability.  But in order for the umbrella to be retracted into a smaller size, it has to be collapsible, that is, able to be folded.  So I don't see how collapsibility can be applied to a Sword.  But in order to enjoy the fight scenes I suspended my disbelief for that moment.  So no problem at all, as far as entertainment.  Better than the usual action because in the tavern scene she has to fight off multiple attackers.  More exciting than watching a fight between two combatants.  Because in a one-on-one fight, your opponent is always in front of you. But with multiple attackers (a dozen men), each attack could come from any direction.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 3

Forgot to include that the character Ivy Ling Po portrays is one-armed.  Up to the time I saw Ivy, the only other one-armed woman I remember was the one in the Japanese movie portrayed by Michiyo Yasuda.  But the ones that I remember the most were the lady-yakuza films Michiyo did.  The reason I remember those films is because they were sometimes on a double-bill with the Nemuri Kyoshiro films.  Incidentally the actress Michiyo Yasuda is not to be confused with another lady with the same name who was a cartoon animator. When I did a Google search on Yasuda, I found only the Cartoonist Yasuda but nothing at all on the  movie actress. If anybody can find some more information on the movie actress Yasuda, then they can post it here.  I would also like to know about any other Sword-films featuring Ivy Ling po. 

• Like 3

Sometimes the wording in a title can be misleading. For example the movie Swift Shaolin Boxer.  Because surprisingly, despite the boxing, the movie actually has a lot of Swordplay and other weapons such as the spear.  

What's admirable is that the director often comes up with a new wrinkle. In this case the Swordplay consisted of both combatants climbing up tall poles and clashing swords at the same time. While climbing up, one hand had to hold the pole while the other held the sword. Alternatively they could also use their legs to hug the poles.  As I said the clashing of swords took place during the actual climbing so they were doing two actions at the same time.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

Looking at this video of a Chinese-Sword exercise, I was impressed at how flowing and fluid the movements were, and how they relaxed me the same that doing meditation would do.  

• Like 2

Although Bruce Lee is notably credited with the teaching of "Be Water," it actually originated hundreds of years ago in Buddhism.  Because taking on the mental attitude of water in Buddhism means to go with the flow so that you don't get upset or angry at all.  Another metaphorical expression in Buddhism is that of the bamboo because it teaches the lesson of Resilience. Because in winter when snow keeps falling on the bamboo, the bamboo keeps bending underneath the burden of the piling snow which keeps increasing. It keeps bending instead of resisting. Then when the bamboo has reached the limit of its bendability, it suddenly springs forward, thereby flinging off all of the snow that had accumulated. 

Therefore the lesson of "Be Water" did not originate from Bruce Lee but from Buddhism hundreds of years ago.  But you could say that Bruce Lee popularized it.

• Like 3