Partial list of 60's Judo films

odioustrident

odioustrident

Thought you guys (and girls) might appreciate this. I have only seen Dawn of Judo and Judo Showdown in English dub but there were other dubbed releases.

List of Judo titles

(all films with English titles listed first appear to have dubbed releases)

Dawn of Judo (Shochiku 1970)

Yawaro no Hoshi (Toho 1970) AKA Little Judo King AKA 柔の星 (confirmed sub release in Hawaii and Hong Kong)

Judo vs. Karate (Toei 1967) AKA Ninkyô yawara ichidai AKA Chivalry of Judo Life

Judo Champion (Toho 1967) AKA Young Guy in the South Pacific AKA Minami Taiheiyo no Wakadaishô

Judo Showdown (Shochiku 1965 or ‘66) AKA Yawara Senpû: Doto no Taiketsu

Birth of Judo (Shochiku 1965) AKA Yawara Senpû

Judo ichidai: kôdokan no ôni (Toei 1964) AKA Judo Life - Judo Hall Demon (may be literal translation – no dub confirmed. Released in Hawai as Judo vs. Karate but not same film as above title)

Life of Judo (Toei 1963) AKA Judo Ichidai AKA Judo Life (Released subbed in Hawaii as Judo Lifetime)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU

I should have stuck with Judo, much more real then the Bullshido I was sucked into. Need to find these movies!!! Have the two, I will ask around..........

PS, TOEI and TOHO remastering everything at a mad clip!!!

I saw a Japanese judo film in 1973 or 1974, at a local Buddhist church.  It was in black and white and I think it was from the 1960s.  The title in English was something like, but not exactly, To Be Japan's Number 1 Judo Man.  The plot was the same as Five Fingers of Death, minus the bad guys.  (And I think the plot of Five Fingers of Death was partially based on this film.)  A young man travels from a small town jujitsu school to the top judo dojo in Tokyo.  He gets sidetracked by falling for an entertainer, and staying with her.  He is talked into returning to the dojo, because it's his duty to the dojo.  He winds up winning the tournament and the daughter of his teacher in the small town jujitsu school.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Sorry, no, I don't think so.  In the movie I saw, I don't remember any villains at all, no one with a gun or thugs with samurai swords.  The big problem the hero really had was his attraction to the singer he had traveled with to Tokyo, and then moving in with her, and not going to training at the judo dojo.  There may have been a problem with another judoka who was jealous, but no one beat up the hero to keep him away from the competition.  

Archived