Hong Kong Horror/Kung-Fu/ Comedy

Guest froffeecoffee

Guest froffeecoffee

I've been watching a few of my HK Hopping Corpse flicks and am looking to get some more. Here's a list of what I have.

Mr. Vampire 1-3

Vampire vs. Vampire

Magic Cop

Encounters of the Spooky Kind

Chinese Ghost Story 1-3

What I'm looking for is Mr. Vampire 4 and Encounters of the Spooky Kind 2. The Mr. Vampire 1-3, I have are the Deltamac. These are pretty good versions and I'm looking for the Deltamac M.V. 4 version. Does anyone know where to pick up a copy? I know the Spooky Encounters 2 hasn't had a proper DVD release yet, which is a crime, seeing how much fun it is. Does anyone know what's the holdup with it?

And finally do any of you have any other suggestions for me to get. Here's a list of some possible purchases. Are any of these a must-buy or skip?

Hocus Pocus

Exorcist Master

The Dead and the Deadly

Gambling Ghost

The Musical Vampire

Thanks and appreciate the input.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest froffeecoffee

Forgot to say, I'm not looking for just Hopping Corpse flicks exclusively, just anything in the HK horror/comedy/kung-fu genre.

Guest Isfahani

Spooky Encounters 2 has been released in France, and remastered to boot - If you dig hard enough you can come up with a custom english subbed version...

The Musical Vampire is a 'so so' low budget film, which has it's moments but unless you're really into this @#%$, i'd say skip it. I'd also look up "Ultimate Vampire" which has yet to be released on DVD properly, and is what I would call the last of the proper "Mr Vampire" like films - It's been released on VCD tho.

The term is "Hopping Zombie", less commonly "Hopping Vampire" or "Jumping Corpse" but Hopping Corpse is a new one on me :P

Guest peringaten

Hopping corpse makes sense to me; in those corpse-herding instances. Doesn't a thread of mythology come from folklore tales of Tao priests hopping corpses home to burial? "Jiangshi" or something?

Dead and the Deadly is cool, definitely not Encounters good, but fun regardless.

Hocus Pocus is alright, bit of a wasted opportunity, the intro is sublime, but it gets a bit weak here and there, not as good as Dead and the Deadly.

You could try Lau Kar Leung's The Shadow Boxing - definitely a lesser film from the man, but still very decent, and I believe one of the first batch of hopping corpse flicks. Fun, but flawed, but I liked it much better than Hocus Pocus.

Though I've never seen it (really want to), most seem to agree Crazy Safari one of the best films of the genre. It's supposed to be great.

Kung Fu Zombie is A LOT of fun. Haven't seen its companion piece Kung Fu From Beyond The Grave, but hear its similar.

Otherwise, non-hopping, give Boxer's Omen a try if you can; though there's mixed reactions on it... I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

WHERE'S OFFICER TUBA is a fun movie - GHOSTS GALORE, FAKE GHOST CATCHERS, CRAZY SAFARI and GHOST FOR SALES are all pretty good too.

Guest Riceboy2000

One of my fave spooky comedies is "The Spooky Family" starring Kent Cheng Juk Si. I used to watch it at least twice a year. Don't really hear people talk about, I don't think its out on dvd, probably why.

Guest Isfahani

Spooky Family yeaaaah! I think there was a Spooky Family II as well?

Then there's the somewhat obscure Spooky Spooky Spooky, which I have on both VHS (Tai Seng "quality") and VCD... It has some good humor for a lo-budg HK film of that era, if nothing else. I'll also throw in Vampire Strikes Back, which is kinda a "Cute Vampire Kids" film but is crazy enough to have some redeeming value.

Crazy Safari has sadly been released only on VCD and LD, the LD is of course better quality but sadly no subs at all.

I wish I were canto fluent, so I could do a DVD with legible subs, the VCD is kinda rough at points due to the washout effect with the subs, and Stephen Chow and Ng Man Tat's commentary is not translated at all.

Oh and Chinese Ghostbuster, which has Lam Ching Ying and

Wu Ma in it & Wu Ma totally steals the show! I think Tai Seng has a dvd of this out as of the last year, but I have no idea as to the quality.

Where can you find a subbed version of Spooky Encounters 2 French version??

PM me.

Hocus Pocus is alright, bit of a wasted opportunity, the intro is sublime, but it gets a bit weak here and there, not as good as Dead and the Deadly.

Does anyone have Legendary Collection version of Hocus Pocus?

Hogus%20Pogus%20JSDVD3121.jpg

I have a subbed, widescreen version, but the quality is really poor (almost sub-VCD). Does this version have an improved picture that is worthy of a DVD?

Also, if anyone knows if its an improvement over the Media Star DVD.

Archived