Do you think Jackie's Bowling-Story is true?!

Kwai

In 2 interviews, Jackie tells a story how he met Bruce on the streets of Hong Kong, near the Peninsula Hotel and then went Bowling with him.

In my opinion he tells to much facts to make the story more believeable, which makes me wonder if he didn't just made it up.

Another question is: Why didn't he tell this incredible story in 1998, when his first autobiography "i am jackie chan - my life in action" came out? He always told the story on the set of Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon but he told the bowling story for the first time in 2008. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Kwai said:

Another question is: Why didn't he tell this incredible story in 1998, when his first autobiography "i am jackie chan - my life in action" came out? He always told the story on the set of Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon but he told the bowling story for the first time in 2008. 

Maybe he'd forgotten the story, and something, post I Am Jackie Chan, reminded him of it?. It's great to see Jackie Chan support BL's image, even now, but the guy did a lot of stunt-work, and worked on so many films from 1971 to present. He must have so many stories, about working with diffrent actors, directors,producers,choreographers etc etc. The bowling alley story could easily be forgotten about, when you've lived a ife like his. Who would have thought, someone would be asking him about this stuff, all these years later too.

The following related content, was posting by Hai Tian, over at Nick Clarke's BL Lives forum.

Link- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/

I didn't have much luck in finding anything on the Chinese web about the Sing Hoi lawsuit, but I found this Bruce Lee timeline that someone had posted in 2014...

https://cn.cari.com.my/forum.php?mod=vi ... id=3484709

It confirms that Jackie went with Bruce to the Four Seas bowling alley on July 14. I found the below 1970 photo on another site.
fourseas_bowling_centre_0.jpg

I don't know why Jackie would bother making up such a story, it always sounded plausible to me. Many people who knew Bruce said he would eat lunch and hang out with the stunt guys and there seemed to be a mutual respect amongst them. On a slightly different note Jackie mentions in his new book that when he signed with Golden Harvest he actually took Bruce's old dressing room that'd remained empty since his death as the staff there thought it was haunted.

That is just a confirmation that the bowling alley existed. Just because a webpage repeats jackies story doesn't mean it is true.

Being in a bowling alley with the biggest star is not something you would forget in your first autobiography pointed at a western audience.

Especially since they know exactly who Bruce Lee is and Jackie dedicates some pages on his encounters with him.

2 hours ago, Kwai said:

He always told the story on the set of Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon but he told the bowling story for the first time in 2008. 

I'm fairly sure Bey Logan briefly references the story on the 2005 HKL DVD of City on Fire.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Jackie did all he could do initially distance himself from Bruce Lee- "He kick high, I kick low!" I think for one thing he was kind of lumbering and not really explosive like Bruce and some of the more combat trained guys. Thank god for undercranking and quick cuts! Jackie seemed to get older and faster, something you never see in real life, really. 

Anyway, I really think he was too busy trying to establish his brand (and lucky for him, poor Fu Sheng died, as he was moving into the Dragon's Forever/Lucky Stars realm as well) and did not want to have that much with living in Bruce Lee's shadow. Back in the late 80's saying "I got kicked out of a window by Bruce" wasn't what he was searching for. 

Now that he has the money, very young groupies and mistresses (not unlike a lot of stars, btw) he can afford to bring up how good Bruce Lee was. Most young fans like my son see him for laughs and stunts and would rather watch Donnie Yen or Taken for martial arts type of action. Bruce fighting Bob Wall looks a little dated now, compared to Atomic Blonde, or Game of Thrones.

Circling back, Jackie has his niche, as does Bruce, and one does not replace the other, either way.

It seems to me that I had heard Jackie mention it before 2008. But, the mind can play tricks on one. Don’t forget, there were a lot of interviews with JC in various magazines and video before his book was ever released. So, it’s highly probable that he did mention it before. I’ve read his book but I don’t recall much about any details like that. Certainly not going to go back and re-read and re-watch everything I have to verify if he told the story before 2008. I guess that I have to believe him, not like any of us can either prove or disprove it. Wasn’t there to witness it myself. 

9 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Jackie did all he could do initially distance himself from Bruce Lee- "He kick high, I kick low!" I think for one thing he was kind of lumbering and not really explosive like Bruce and some of the more combat trained guys. Thank god for undercranking and quick cuts! Jackie seemed to get older and faster, something you never see in real life, really. 

Anyway, I really think he was too busy trying to establish his brand (and lucky for him, poor Fu Sheng died, as he was moving into the Dragon's Forever/Lucky Stars realm as well) and did not want to have that much with living in Bruce Lee's shadow. Back in the late 80's saying "I got kicked out of a window by Bruce" wasn't what he was searching for. 

Now that he has the money, very young groupies and mistresses (not unlike a lot of stars, btw) he can afford to bring up how good Bruce Lee was. Most young fans like my son see him for laughs and stunts and would rather watch Donnie Yen or Taken for martial arts type of action. Bruce fighting Bob Wall looks a little dated now, compared to Atomic Blonde, or Game of Thrones.

Circling back, Jackie has his niche, as does Bruce, and one does not replace the other, either way.

Bey Logan said in his HKL commentaries it was really difficult to get HK stars to talk about Bruce as they didn't want to be seen as riding on his success and as you say Jackie spent his early career carving out his own path and telling stories about Bruce wouldn't have been something he'd have gone out of his way to do. Now he's at a totally different stage in his career he's probably more comfortable sharing these stories.

There's a lot of article's on the subject of Jackie Chan, going bolwing with Bruce Lee, here's just a couple of them.

Bruce Lee Once Bumped Into Jackie Chan on the Street and Did the Broest Thing Ever(Article)

Chan also narrated one of his fondest moments shared with the Asian phenom which happened just after they finished worked together.

“I was walking on the peninsula, I was going to [go] bowling, and he saw me,” Chan recalled.

Link- https://nextshark.com/bruce-lee-bumped-jackie-chan-street-broest-thing-ever/

Jackie Chan remembers impromptu bowling with Bruce Lee just days before martial arts legend died

Link- https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jackie-chan-remembers-impromptu-bowling-bruce-lee-just-days-martial-arts-legend-died-154831532.html

jackie_chan___bruce_lee_tribute_by_smjbl

00134c20-b41f-11e7-a8eb-bd769782bee4_Jac

Look's like Jackie took the dive into the pit of water, during the nunchaku sequenc in ETD(see picture). With added mustache, to make him look different. BL fights Jackie three times, during the cavern sequence, first he breaks his neck, then Jackies the last guy to get hit with by the staff. Before finally getting hit by the nunchaku, and falling into the water. I think Chan mentions stuntmen got paid extra, for doing water based stunts?, in one of the interviews/articles I posted?.

rgopw9ig8ejz.jpg

The bowling story is something Jackie has spoken of for more than 30 years, i remember him telling me about it way back on set during the shooting of Police Story 3 and i think it's also in an earlier Inside Kung Fu article by Dave Cater when Police Story first came out

As much as i do like Jeff Yang's Jackie Chan autobiography, i think even Jeff would admit that there's some stuff that isn't featured that should have been, and some stuff isn't clear as they had such an insane deadline to get it done

Sammo's story of encountering Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest and testing his speed, and jackie and the bowling alley story i think are true....

DragonClaws

Jackie Chan on working for Bruce Lee: ‘Everyone thought he was a god’

This made the young Chan stick in Lee’s mind, and resulted in him being chosen for night work and stunts involving water, both of which meant higher pay for the stuntman.

Link- https://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2154384/jackie-chan-working-bruce-lee-everyone-thought-he-was-god

grid-cell-13852-1390511300-6.jpg

61c71e62-832a-11e8-99b0-7de4d17a9c3a_128

Jackie owes a big debt to Bruce for his career. Jackie, essentially, took Tang Lung's characteristics in Way of the Dragon and built a foundation for his movie career. Brilliant and timely.

By the way, saying this doesn't diminish Jackie's skills and talent as a performer:cool.

Archived