Vanguard (2019)

Drunken Monk

36tripsofdeath

I think that this trailer above is really cool. I just don't know why it's so zoomed out. It shows lots of new footage and I really like all of the car chase stuff.

• Like 2

Hmm, not sure about this anymore! Initially looked promising but it’s crappy cgi galore and dodgy wire work all over the place in these new trailers. 

• Like 2

While offering nothing ground breaking, I think it's his best trailer since The Foreigner. A lot better than those Bleeding Steel, Railroad Tiger's, Kung Fu Yoga etc previews. This looks like it could be good light hearted entertiment. Jackie Chan has long since earned his action stripes and then some. I'd expect a lot of CGI/Wire's when Chan's the age he is. Wire's have also been a big staple of Martial Arts cinema since day one.

• Like 1

36tripsofdeath
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

While offering nothing ground breaking, I think it's his best trailer since The Foreigner. A lot better than those Bleeding Steel, Railroad Tiger's, Kung Fu Yoga etc previews. This looks like it could be good light hearted entertiment. Jackie Chan has long since earned his action stripes and then some. I'd expect a lot of CGI/Wire's when Chan's the age he is. Wire's have also been a big staple of Martial Arts cinema since day one.

Agreed. His only good trailer since The Foreigner and the last trailer I liked of his before that was for Police Story 2013. What seems to benefit a movie like this is that it's light-hearted in stark contrast to its topic but can amp up its own kind of seriousness through the shooting and firepower, you know, a glimpse at the thin line between life and death.

• Like 2

36tripsofdeath
19 hours ago, laagi said:

Pretty solid trailer(s) besides the awful CGI. Also I'm not sure if it's just me or did Chan's english get worse :yociexp27:

Usually, when it is not an American production, they are not too concerned with how well Jackie speaks English. Jackie can speak good English when he is talking to a crowd or an individual but that's because his words are not predetermined by words on a page. On his US movies, directors will film many takes of his lines to make him sound more fluent. Especially in the case of the Rush Hour movies and The Protector.

I think the English lines in his Chinese films are normally two takes at most.

Jackie dubbing his voice in his movies has always been good except for with Police Story 2013. I had a  very hard time understanding  what Jackie was saying. Watching it in the original language was fine but I had to rely on what other characters were saying to figure out what was going on in the dubbed version.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Terrorist=HK Citizens? Workers striking for better wages? Religious minorities? 

Ah Jackie. His family supposedly escaped China because of a totalitarian government, but once greed became the agenda, all was forgiven!

Sorry, had to say it. Looks like more pro PRC nonsense. And I don't really want to watch the US version of that, either.

• Like 3

Rodolphe Dux

Well the trailer is action packed but it will probably better than the movie, nothing new here and the cinematography is so flashy that my eyes bleed. Stanley Tong and Jackie Chan definitely have a thing for lions these days!

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 2

Think this looks terrible hope I’m wrong but not expecting anything great here,like some have said awful cgi and dodgy wire work.Maybe Chan should concentrate on quality rather than bringing a movie out every couple of weeks(well that’s what it feels like to me)

• Like 1

I was surprised to see Jackie on an actual river in the music video as the trailer makes the jet ski chase look very "in a paddling pool in front of green screen."

• Like 2

36tripsofdeath
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I was surprised to see Jackie on an actual river in the music video as the trailer makes the jet ski chase look very "in a paddling pool in front of green screen."

Here's more.

• Like 2

36tripsofdeath

Due to the Wuhan virus outbreak in China, Vanguard  and three other Chinese movie releases have been postponed. When they will be released in theaters is unknown.

• Like 2