Vanguard (2019)

Drunken Monk

36tripsofdeath

I found this synopsis on the film catalogue website. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it matches the film's locations at least.

Jackie Chan stars as Tang Huanting, the head of an International security agency known as Vanguard. Vanguard is hired when an accountant, Qin Guoli learns of his friend’s terrorist ties and leaks the information to the US government. In a subsequent bombing, Qin’s friend dies. Tang discovers there was a sole survivor of the bombing; Omar, the son of the man Qin betrayed. Omar vows to avenge his family by attacking the
people responsible for their deaths. He hires a fearsome group of mercenaries known as the Arctic Wolves to hunt down Qin and the only thing standing in their way is Vanguard.

In London the Arctic Wolves attempt to kidnap Qin but their plans are foiled when Vanguard helps Qin escape. Qin still fears for his family and instructs Vanguard to protect his estranged daughter, Fareeda. Fareeda is on expedition in Africa and is ambushed and held captive with a Vanguard operative, Lei Zhenyu.

A high octane chase ensues, from Africa to the Emirates. Omar captures Qin and hauls him to his headquarters in Dubai. Omar is intent on attacking a US aircraft carrier and needs Qin’s intel to find his dead father’s hidden resources to finish the job. Tang and the Vanguard team are the last hope to stop Omar.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I'm sure there will be wires and CGI but dare I say I haven't been this excited for a Jackie Chan project in a while? It looks fun.

• Like 3

36tripsofdeath

I liked that the trailer showed a heavier focus on firepower and it appears that the comedy might be more about reactions to the situations than the driving force of the movie.

• Like 2

Secret Executioner
On 6/17/2019 at 6:26 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Nice trailer here. Could be a pretty good flick, though the plot feels very rehashed.

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 2

36tripsofdeath

According to Jackie Chan France, the movie My Mercenary Career will now co star Jackie Chan where before he was just producing it. The basic synopsis of the movie seems like an amalgamation of Vanguard and Project X.

Jackie Chan France is quite reliable but still take this with a grain of salt. I've heard from "official" sources that Vanguard comes out in 2021  but early 2020 seems like a better bet to me.

• Like 2

36tripsofdeath

Just as I suspected. The official release date is confirmed as January 25 2020. This is according to the film's official Weibo account which should be safe from inaccuracies.

• Like 2

36tripsofdeath
10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Is Jackie playing second fiddle in this one? The featurettes seem to focus on the younger talent.

Stanley Tong said in an interview that the movie would kind of act as a showcase for the younger talent. So, Jackie will just be focused on just enough to be considered the star.

Also, both of these featurettes are sort of like character bios so I'm pretty sure Jackie will get his own featurette at some point.

• Like 2

Agreed, they are just showing off short featurettes of some of the actors, it wouldn't make any sense to show Jackie's first,  these are teasers leading to a full trailer. Besides Jackie IS the star and selling point so saving his scenes for a longer trailer and actual movie make better sense then giving to much away now...as many trailers do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, daman77 said:

Besides Jackie IS the star and selling point so saving his scenes for a longer trailer and actual movie make better sense then giving to much away now...as many trailers do.

MV5BNDU4MDBlNGUtODA3Yi00NDhkLWIxY2YtZTlh

MV5BZDYwMmRjMzItNzcxNC00MjE5LWE3ZmEtNzRj

MV5BZmU3NjFlYTMtODI4Ny00ZTQ2LTllZWEtNTEy

MV5BMTMwMTE4NWItMWJkZi00MGJlLTg3ZWItYjRj

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

36tripsofdeath

I liked everything about the trailer except that there is another CGI lion. It Stills looks like a great flick and I thought that that the stairs joke was rehashed but done in a funny way.

They are being smart with this trailer by not giving too much away because the teaser gave us glimpses at a bunch of things that are barely touched upon in this trailer. The trailer gives me no worries about the overall quality.

• Like 3

It looks like we're getting treated to a lot of wires and shitty CGI but, to be honest, this looks pretty good. I mean, the action looks solid at least. A step up from Kung Fu Yoga surely and I didn't actually hate Kung Fu Yoga.

• Like 2

36tripsofdeath
2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

It looks like we're getting treated to a lot of wires and shitty CGI but, to be honest, this looks pretty good. I mean, the action looks solid at least. A step up from Kung Fu Yoga surely and I didn't actually hate Kung Fu Yoga.

I don't hate Kung Fu Yoga either. There was just a handful of good moments now and then wrapped up in a poor movie.

• Like 2