Vanguard (2019)

Drunken Monk

Jackie Chan will be starring in the Stanley Tong directed Vanguard this year. The film follows Jackie, a member of a security team hired to protect a businessman and his daughter from terrorists. The film co-stars Yang Yang and Miya Muqi and it labeled as a "thriller."

So far there's just these shitty low-res images to go off...

1.png

2.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Jackie Chan will be starring in the Stanley Tong directed Vanguard this year. The film follows Jackie, a member of a security team hired to protect a businessman and his daughter from terrorists. The film co-stars Yang Yang and Miya Muqi and it labeled as a "thriller."

Hoped we might get this film/idea of the ground this year?.

Not that I'm looking down on Vanguard, but after the last Stanley Tong/JC team-up, I'm not so excited/intrigued about this one. Though I really hope the pair prove me wrong, and I have to eat my own words.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

36tripsofdeath

This movie has apparently been filming since at least early January if not even earlier. Costar Yang Yang is filming some scenes in London since filming wrapped in Taiwan.

I still am unsure about one thing though. Is Jackie's near drowning from falling off of a jet ski from filming this movie or is it from reshoots of Project Extraction?

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
5 hours ago, 36tripsofdeath said:

Is Jackie's near drowning from falling off of a jet ski from filming this movie or is it from reshoots of Project Extraction?

Hadn't heard about that.

36tripsofdeath

Yeah, he talked about the jet ski incident on Good Morning America promoting his memoir and went into more detail on it during his live book signing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 36tripsofdeath said:

Is Jackie's near drowning from falling off of a jet ski from filming this movie or is it from reshoots of Project Extraction? 

If he's still risking his neck, by riding a Jet Ski, at his age, the rest of the movie, wants to be of a very good quality.

36tripsofdeath

Jackie is going to be filming Vanguard in Dubai next week. Jackie, Stanley Tong, Miya Muqi, Dubai. Sound familiar? This doesn't sound too promising but I could be wrong. After all, this is a "thriller."

However, Kung Fu Yoga was a big success so what is there to stop them from basically making the same movie albeit slightly different with the same people?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 36tripsofdeath said:

Jackie is going to be filming Vanguard in Dubai next week. Jackie, Stanley Tong, Miya Muqi, Dubai. Sound familiar? This doesn't sound too promising but I could be wrong. After all, this is a "thriller."

However, Kung Fu Yoga was a big success so what is there to stop them from basically making the same movie albeit slightly different with the same people?

Are you saying could this possibly by The Myth 3? Because technically, Kung Fu Yoga is The Myth 2 with Chan pretty much playing the same character as that film and he's even stated that it is in fact, the official sequel to that film.

• Like 1

36tripsofdeath
2 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Are you saying could this possibly by The Myth 3? Because technically, Kung Fu Yoga is The Myth 2 with Chan pretty much playing the same character as that film and he's even stated that it is in fact, the official sequel to that film.

That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm just saying it sounds like they are basically trying to make the same kind of film as Kung Fu Yoga to replicate its success whether it's an actual sequel or not.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. The end result could be something unexpected. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 10:42 PM, 36tripsofdeath said:

There’s no word on specific locations for the upcoming shoot as of yet, but we understand it will be on a similar scale to Kung Fu Yoga and will, like that film, offer opportunities to a significant number of local crew and would-be cast members. The National has reached out to Dubai-based Alkatraz Productions, who handled local production on Kung Fu Yoga,

This production, will also be visiting London, Taiwan, Dubai and of course India.

Link- https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/film/exclusive-jackie-chan-and-stanley-tong-are-returning-to-film-in-dubai-1.825947

• Like 1

36tripsofdeath

The film will also feature Jackson Lou, Zhu Zhengting, and Ai Lun. The movie will be shot around and in downtown Dubai, City Walk, and in some other prominent and residential areas.

• Like 2

Intrigued to see who they cast as the lead/members of the villianous mercenary gang, known as Artic Wolf ?.

Edited by DragonClaws

36tripsofdeath
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Intrigued to see who they cast as the lead/members of the villianous meecenary gang, known as Artic Wolf ?.

Barret Coates plays Black Bear, Temur Mamisashvili plays Chameleon, and Joseph Fiorello plays Red Wolf according  to IMDB. Could these characters be members of Arctic Wolf?

• Like 2

Huan Guanha is the fight choreographer. He's done a lot of stunt work but was action director on Police Story: Lockdown and assistant fight choreographer on Scott Pilgrim vs The World. He's also doubled for Jackie a LOT.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, 36tripsofdeath said:

The film will also feature Jackson Lou, Zhu Zhengting, and Ai Lun. The movie will be shot around and in downtown Dubai, City Walk, and in some other prominent and residential areas.

Interesting that Jackson Lou has been cast. To my knowledge he and Jackie haven't worked together since 'First Strike'.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Happy Chinese New Year! So I found myself on the film set of Hong Kong action movie ‘Vanguard’ with the London leg of the shoot. Vanguard is directed by Stanley Tong and stars Jackie Chan, although we didn’t get to see Jackie Chan! Here’s a quick behind the scenes photo from the rooftop of the national gallery on trafalgar square of the chinese new year celebrations held in London on Sunday. It’s not every day you get a view like this! The film features some scenes set during the celebrations with a mere 5 camera set up! For stills, I just found myself capturing the festival from different angles but this one takes the biscuit!! ha ha.

Source- https://www.lauraradford.com/blog/behind-the-scenes-from-film-vanguard-at-trafalgar-square

LONDON-Behind-the-scenes-bts-STILLS-VANG

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

36tripsofdeath

The movie will be released in China for the New Year festivities in 2021. It is said to be a globetrotting adventure in the style of Mission impossible. Some of the movie will also take place in Africa. 

Jackie's jet ski accident did indeed come from the filming of Vanguard apparently.

• Like 2

36tripsofdeath

"Summing up his latest movie in three words, Chan said "Action. Comedy. Explosion."

I'm not so sure if it is a good idea to take this plot and make a comedy out of It. Maybe it is. It will definitely succeed financially though.

There is also going to be car chases in Dubai. Who didn't see that coming?

• Like 2