Police Story 1 & 2 Criterion Blu-Ray Boxset

KenHashibe

professorwho
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KenHashibe
39 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

So Criterion is really not what they're cracked up to be?

I really love this release (and Criterion in general). I got to spend some more time this week watching the films and looking through the special features, and I think it's a great set with great picture and audio. I feel like the 2k transfer of the HK version of Police Story 2 alone made the set worth buying. But I've heard some complaints about contrast-boosting and compression artifacts. To my eye, I don't see anything wrong with the picture quality. And there are some fans who were disappointed that there aren't any additional versions of Police Story included. However, I'm still ecstatic about this release! The complaints that people have about this release are ones that don't really both me at all. All I wanted was the films in HD with the original mono. To answer your question, it really just depends what you're looking for. I guess I'm not very picky.

I've ordered the Criterion versions shipped a few days ago and I already own the Eureka versions so I'll be very happy either way.

Burnout29

The Criterion box art looks miles better than the Statue of Liberty torch by Eureka lol, weird observation, perhaps ice cream cone, missing the flake.

It looks like it's based off of that rare cool looking poster Johnathan Ross owns that he allowed in the Eureka booklet.

Criterion`s PS1 looks much better than disc two`s PS2 which contains both the 4k remastered and 35mm theatrical print in HD. Not sure if there is that much difference between Eureka`s and Criterion`s PS1 as far as PQ goes. Though, I think there are some minor differences that people have been talking about.  

Here is a comparison between the 4k mastered and 35mm theatrical print transfer that is included on disc two of Criterion`s set.

4k mastered:

Criterion PS2 1.png

35mm theatrical:

Criterion PS2 theatrical 1.png

4k mastered:

Criterion PS2 2.png

35mm theatrical:

Criterion PS2 theatrical 2.png

4k mastered:

Criterion PS2 3.png

35mm theatrical:

Criterion PS2 theatrical 3.png

hanshotfirst1138

I do take my hat off to Criterion and Eureka alike for going to the fans; apparently Fortune Star, as is their MO, provided the movies without the original mono tracks, and both companies went to the fans to acquire them. If only Chinese companies would. 

Can someone tell me if it has the Cinema Group dub version (with soundtrack by Kevin Bassinson)? 

Thank you in advance. 

Our old friend is releasing the japanese extended soon and he's managed to remove the sidetitles from the image. I have the eureka set but i'll be curious to see how this has turned out.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:13 PM, mpm74 said:

Can someone tell me if it has the Cinema Group dub version (with soundtrack by Kevin Bassinson)? 

Thank you in advance. 

It does not unfortunately. A rare English dub is included, but it has the original score from the HK version.

On 8/14/2019 at 11:04 PM, KenHashibe said:

It does not unfortunately. A rare English dub is included, but it has the original score from the HK version.

Appreciate the reply. I wonder if this "rare English dub" is the same dub, but without his soundtrack? 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, sifu iron perm said:

Jesus, how many versions are there of Police story?

As far as I know there are at least 5 different English dubs(ED) :

1. Original ED voices with HK music score
  2. Original ED voices with Kevin Bassinson's score
  3. The New Line Home Video version
  4. The Media Asia version 
  5. The Fortune Star version

Received this the other day and thought it was a great set. I compared police story 1 with Eurekas release and I found that the picture quality of the Eureka release was more detailed and lighter. Criterion release had better skin tones in my opinion but a lot of shots seemed rather dark compared to Eureka. The HK theatrical cut of ps2 was good to watch but really hope one day it will get a proper remaster and new subtitles. The original mono was nice on the Criterion disc, I liked how in the shopping mall sequence when the characters Called to each other it actually echoed properly as it would in real life. (Simple things). The picture quality of police story 2 is nicer in the Eureka release too but the audio was great. A great release overall worth having alongside my Eureka and HKR releases, if only for the theatrical cut of ps2. For those who want the release with the best PQ I’d go with Eureka but make sure you don’t get their first run release with the dodgy audio.

Archived