To Be Number One (1991)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

If Donnie Yen's take on Crippled Ho in 'Chasing the Dragon' was a little too clean for you, then there's good news - the remastered Blu-ray of 'To Be Number One', Poon Man-Kit's 1991 epic with Ray Lui in the titular role, hit the shelves on Friday.  To celebrate, I gave it the full review treatment.  Check it out here -

http://cityonfire.com/to-be-number-one-1991-review-hong-kong-poon-man-kit-ray-lui-crippled-ho-ng-sik-ho/

49783371_2259053644333194_6930344316699148288_n.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A re-mastered release of TO BE NO. 1 was  long overdue since the old K & R blu ray was a piss-poor one - even by their own rock-bottom standards. I remember screaming at the telly back in 2011 when I picked it up because the subs were so badly translated and so insanely fast programmed that I constantly had to rewind or freeze the picture. And as OAB also pointed out in his review, large swathes of text remained untranslated, something that was even more distracting in Poon Man-Kit's (almost) equally engrossing LORD OF THE EAST  CINA SEA films. Hell, the second part was almost incomprehensible if you didn't manage to read the long chinese intertiltles that explained major parts of the story. So, great news and let's hope Panorama can righten the wrongs. I'm sure we'll see a massive upgrade in PQ, as for better subs and full text translations... well, I remain sceptical.

Archived