Hidden Man (2018) - Jiang Wen & Eddie Peng

laagi

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I’ve seen trailers for this one for ages now. Has it not even had a Hong Kong release yet?

I'm pretty sure since there's already versions of the whole movie floating around online...

Asianfilmstrike review of Hidden Man - https://asianfilmstrike.com/2019/03/30/hidden-man-2018-review/ 

"After 2010's Sichuan-set Let the Bullets Fly and 2014's Shanghai-set Gone with the Bullets, Jiang Wen closes his amoral trilogy of Republican China epics with the Beijing-set Hidden Man, where bullets are much scarcer than blades and fists... Long Story Short: An entertaining and visually gorgeous tale of revenge and political intrigue, Hidden Man is also over-indulgent, over-stuffed and tonally muddled."  Rating **1/2 

D24ho4GVYAAZtGo.jpg:large

One Armed Boxer
On 1/14/2019 at 4:38 AM, Drunken Monk said:

I’ve seen trailers for this one for ages now. Has it not even had a Hong Kong release yet?

The Hong Kong Blu-ray and DVD came out on 11th April.

I recently got through watching this one, and loved it.  If you enjoyed Wen's previous efforts, 'Let the Bullets Fly' and 'Gone with the Bullets', then you should be in for a good time.  Also like those flicks, 'Hidden Man' arguably doesn't belong in a martial arts forum, even though there's some in it.  I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

http://cityonfire.com/hidden-man-2018-review/

Drunken Monk
16 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

The Hong Kong Blu-ray and DVD came out on 11th April.

I recently got through watching this one, and loved it.  If you enjoyed Wen's previous efforts, 'Let the Bullets Fly' and 'Gone with the Bullets', then you should be in for a good time.  Also like those flicks, 'Hidden Man' arguably doesn't belong in a martial arts forum, even though there's some in it.  I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

http://cityonfire.com/hidden-man-2018-review/

Great review. Exactly how much action is there, would you say? I mean, I'm excited for the film no matter what. I was just interested in how many fight scenes they included. If you recall.

One Armed Boxer
11 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Great review. Exactly how much action is there, would you say? I mean, I'm excited for the film no matter what. I was just interested in how many fight scenes they included. If you recall.

Thanks DM!  I hope this doesn't come across as sounding pedantic, but for me fight scenes and action sequences are 2 very different things.  There's plenty of rooftop running and even some gunplay.  For fight scenes, you've got 3 - a brief scene involving chopsticks (shown in the trailer), and Peng's 1:1's against Sawada Kenya and Liao Fan.  So you have about 5 mins worth of fight action in a 135 minute movie, but then as I mentioned, this isn't a fight flick, so that shouldn't be surprising.  If you've seen 'Let the Bullets Fly' and 'Gone with the Bullets', then you'll have a good idea if you're going to enjoy it or not.

ShaOW!linDude
8 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

So you have about 5 mins worth of fight action in a 135 minute movie, but then as I mentioned, this isn't a fight flick, so that shouldn't be surprising.

@Drunken Monk asked the question for me. Based on that answer, I'm out.

Archived