Fist of Fury Alternative Casting: Riki Hashimoto VS Yasuaki Kurata

DragonClaws

BL2364.jpg

Bushido blade, Riki Hashimoto in Fist of Fury(1972)

I was always a bit disapointed by the end of Fist of Fury, hoping that the fight between Chen Zhen and Suzuki, would have been better?. Or at least longer than it was, I mean Suzuki was the head of the Japanese school, yet he barely lasted two minutes against Chen. I know actor Riki Hashimoto, who played the Japanese Dojo head honcho, was not a skilled Martial Artist. Which woud have limited the choreography a lot. I wonder why BL and Golden Harvest, didnt just hire a genuine Martial Artist for the role?, Sammo Hung would have done a better job?. Whang In-Sik could have even played a version of the character, there's not that much dialogue to recall.

Did BL meet Yasuaki Kurata after the FOF production in 72?, he would have been the perfect choice to play the villain. I could see him jumping Chen before he even finnished fighting Petrov, and an epic fight ensueing.

What are other fan's thoughts on this subject?

The Little Dragon first meeting with Mr Kurata?, around the time of Way of The Dragon?

c5f366a430c53daaa77869a78c0a7e6e.jpg

Riki Hashimoto patiently watches BL choreograph the excellent, Chen/Petrov fight.

BL126X.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Possibly, but look how restrained Hwang In Sik was by Bruce in Way.

Good point, with Kurata they could have had a nunchaku duel?, but it was the BL show afterall.

DragonClaws

I'd be interested to hear @DrNgor, opinion on if the casting of Yasuaki Kurata as the head villian in Fist of Fury. Would have improved the final one on one fight?. Recently catching Kurata FOF knock-off, The King of Boxers(1972). Featuring a young Meng Fei in a Chen Zhen styled role. Made me think Mr Kuratas presence in Lee's second film. Would have enhanced it even more?.

Archived